Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Aspergers/Autistic or just shy & unconfident? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have Aspergers which was more prolific when I was a child. I used to have a fascination with aeroplanes, car ferries and trains, and I collect foreign money. I usually have a periodic obsession as well, which I keep to myself so to avoid embarrassment. I never used to though; my parents have endured me talking endlessly about a certain country I wanted to visit, or the person I was crushing on (generally didn't tell my folks about this as much though). I used to take everything literally as well; upon my mum telling me to do something, I replied "I am, I am talking to you".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    So, now not only is Psychiatry made up, but ALL medicine?
    Yes, all medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    Yes, all medicine.
    :yawn:

Go and make some more anon-fail threads about being 15 and having a "perceptual disorder".

ReputationRep:
    i do have a perceptual disorder. who is to say i do not? :confused:

Medicine is just belief, get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    No, what we thought was disease was wrong in the past. People used to think disease was spread by smell, we now know that was wrong. That's the way in which medicine evolves over time. We grow progressively less ignorant. Medicine (and i'm not talking "alternative" medicine here) is founded on science, and is in no way a social construct. That goes for psychiatry too.
    I agree that the direction is overall towards progress, but that means that just as we scoff at the medical theories of 100-200 years ago, so will those 100-200 years in the future scoff at our medical theories of today. There are many illuminating examples, but I'm off out now so I'll post a bit more on this tomorrow.

It goes for psychiatry more so because the boundary between behaviour, deviance and illness is so fuzzy. To give a quick example, homosexuality was considered a mental disorder 30 odd years ago. Slaves who wanted to escape were considered mentally ill. Opinion of whether alcohol abuse is mental disorder or behaviour is still very divided. We're not talking hundreds of years here, we're talking decades. For me, this just goes to show how little we actually know. It's a trap to claim otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    i do have a perceptual disorder. who is to say i do not? :confused:

Medicine is just belief, get over it.
    A belief in using evidence-based practice ! (Apart from the choice to fund NHS homeopathy centres.. that's displays the opposite).

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of people who have been "diagnosed" with aspergers are actually just socially awkward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflexive)
    I agree that the direction is overall towards progress, but that means that just as we scoff at the medical theories of 100-200 years ago, so will those 100-200 years in the future scoff at our medical theories of today. There are many illuminating examples, but I'm off out now so I'll post a bit more on this tomorrow.

It goes for psychiatry more so because the boundary between behaviour, deviance and illness is so fuzzy. To give a quick example, homosexuality was considered a mental disorder 30 odd years ago. Slaves who wanted to escape were considered mentally ill. Opinion of whether alcohol abuse is mental disorder or behaviour is still very divided. We're not talking hundreds of years here, we're talking decades. For me, this just goes to show how little we actually know. It's a trap to claim otherwise.
    I deliberately used the words "less ignorant" to "more knowledgable" because I didn't want you to think I was claiming medicine had all the answers (and indeed psychiatry in particular) but there are things we can measure that shows the relative success of medicine over time. T

Those things considered mental illnesses didn't really have much science behind them back in their day, perceptions like that definitely are a result of social prejudices and opinion. There is however physical evidence with the difference in the brain of an autistic person and a non autistic person. Clinical depression has been thoroughly researched and we understand quite a lot about it and the reasons for it now, and what is effective at fighting it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ub2008)
    I think a lot of people who have been "diagnosed" with aspergers are actually just socially awkward.
    And I think a lot of people who make claims such as these are woefully ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmeenax)
    Totally - I have Aspergers and I'm hyper-sensitive most of the time. >_< I think the problem, mainly, is being able to feel and show immediate empathy in the same way as others, which is why people get that idea..(?)
    Yeah, some people can find you guys come across too strongly and hence it adds to social difficulty because people will distance themselves.

Aspergers is a great gift as well as a curse. One things for certain though; were it not for Aspergers, human advancement would not have been so rapid or so great .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflexive)

And the likes of conditions such as Aspergers have only really been relatively known publicly since early 1990's.

Thing is with alcohol though; the abuse of it can be brought on by certain characteristics in people. For example people with ADHD tend more to abuse alcohol. (not to offend people with ADHD...i'm suspected of it and my dad had it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ub2008)
    I disagree.
    Although primarily Aspergers is a social difficulty theirs a **** loads more factors that come into it. The person diagnosing someone will even look at things such as body language, eye contact, obsessions, behaviors etc. Its a full day assessment that involves looking at past things such as school reports which will distinguish the person from other disorders such as BPD.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have aspergers.

If you REALLY think you do, go see your gp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lily_w)
    To me, it sounds like you're just shy and lack confidence. As someone who has lived with an autistic person for most of my life, I think autism is different to what you're describing. Autism makes it difficult to relate to others and form friendships and there is often a very one sided, obsessive element to it (ie only wanting to have conversations about a certain topic/thing that interests them.) Often they don't even realise that they're doing it, but you seem quite self aware. The fact that you have a few close friends is important too, as the autistic people I know find any kind of friendship difficult. You just seem shy and unsure about how to strike up a conversation with someone new - a problem that a lot of people have.
    I too have lived with an autistic spectrum condition but never realised it until two years ago when I was 23. I was reading about AS and realised a lot of the traits described me especially during most of my school days (social anxieties and inability to make real friendships beyond a superficial level, obsessive one-sided interests, dificulty at interpreting double meanings, sensitivity to certain sounds etc) and although never formally diagnosed because I did not see the need to, my counsellor did say that it is very likely I have AS and so did the lady on the National Autistic Society helpline which was good enough for me. Since then, I guess I have been learning how to live with it and learn from my past errors in order to fit in with the mainstream better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robocop1andahalf)
    I too have lived with an autistic spectrum condition but never realised it until two years ago when I was 23. I was reading about AS and realised a lot of the traits described me especially during most of my school days (social anxieties and inability to make real friendships beyond a superficial level, obsessive one-sided interests, dificulty at interpreting double meanings, sensitivity to certain sounds etc) and although never formally diagnosed because I did not see the need to, my counsellor did say that it is very likely I have AS and so did the lady on the National Autistic Society helpline which was good enough for me. Since then, I guess I have been learning how to live with it and learn from my past errors in order to fit in with the mainstream better.
    I do question this though because every single other person i know with Aspergers HAD to be diagnosed in order for them to move on with their lives....i mean they obsessively had to be diagnosed and it was all they could think about.

Once they were diagnosed a lot of them got much more support and went to specialized AS councilors...because all of them had had major problems with normal councilors being unable to understand and explain their behavior.

But then every person is different and not all Asperger's person can be lumped in one group. Putting them into one group i think is a major problem atm...

Anyway, my point is if you do have Aspergers i really recommend getting an assessment because the level of support can be much help in getting on with everyday life.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help here, ive been reading alot into it and i don't think I have many of the characteristics - e.g. empathy/sarcasm etc - were always joking in our office at work, and I often make people laugh, I never take things literally, am a good listener and do show empathy/sympathy in time of need and do feel I am a caring person.
    Think im just being a little paranoid, and need to work on my self confidence for sure.
    Sorry if caused any offence with this post.
    interesting to find out more about this though. thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    For the love of God, don't diagnose yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    I do question this though because every single other person i know with Aspergers HAD to be diagnosed in order for them to move on with their lives....i mean they obsessively had to be diagnosed and it was all they could think about.

Once they were diagnosed a lot of them got much more support and went to specialized AS councilors...because all of them had had major problems with normal councilors being unable to understand and explain their behavior.

But then every person is different and not all Asperger's person can be lumped in one group. Putting them into one group i think is a major problem atm...

Anyway, my point is if you do have Aspergers i really recommend getting an assessment because the level of support can be much help in getting on with everyday life.
    Thats is so much a description of me, after my family member was murdered 5 years ago and I never recovered and feel ill and tired all the time I wont see a councillor, I saw the uni one a few times but they just told me to get on with my life and stop holding myself back and werent very sympathetic and kept cancelling appointments on me for various reasons, I just feel most councillors are paid to listen and dont care but also I feel the volunteer ones are only doing it because deep down even if they dont realise it they are goody goodys or its to make them feel better about themselves, I MIGHT even have ADHD as well.

I can see the point with the one telling me I'm holding myself back but thats because I feel so awful about myself and get so many knock backs that I find it hard to change, I need positive support like people telling me how good I am(not too much though as then I will get a bit of an ego) but people dont understand this and I dont have much experience apart from my own so someone who does can structure the praise and support in a way to help me change but I cant get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MittenKrust)
    Thats is so much a description of me, after my family member was murdered 5 years ago and I never recovered and feel ill and tired all the time I wont see a councillor, I saw the uni one a few times but they just told me to get on with my life and stop holding myself back and werent very sympathetic and kept cancelling appointments on me for various reasons, I just feel most councillors are paid to listen and dont care but also I feel the volunteer ones are only doing it because deep down even if they dont realise it they are goody goodys or its to make them feel better about themselves, I MIGHT even have ADHD as well.

I can see the point with the one telling me I'm holding myself back but thats because I feel so awful about myself and get so many knock backs that I find it hard to change, I need positive support like people telling me how good I am(not too much though as then I will get a bit of an ego) but people dont understand this and I dont have much experience apart from my own so someone who does can structure the praise and support in a way to help me change but I cant get it.
    Well i can much relate to the murder part although not exactly.
    When my dad died there was a lot of controversy over whether he died from liver failure or it was murder.

If you have Aspergers(you didn't mention that you did?) i suggest you find someone well trained because it's only them whom can help you with your situations. Many other councilors will misinterpret your actions. I can give many examples of this and it makes you worse when not being understood! So frustrating because you have to explain yourself before you can get help and even then they can't help you very well...(i myself don't suffer from this problem but i've seen the pain of what others have gone through and been misinterpreted as mentally ill or 'unpredictable'...its stupid')

I have a parent whom has both Aspergers and ADHD....this is also known as 'Co morbid'

If you would like to speak some more, feel free to pm me and i'll give you my msn. I may be able to help you with a fair few things including behavior etc. I have a mum and brother with Aspergers and my dad had ADHD. I may have too. In short i have a fair amount of experience .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    Every person whom as has aspergers or autism is different. Just because you show 'symptoms' does not mean you have it.
    Borderline personality disorder and other things are extremely simular in symptoms...this of course present problems for those on the autistic spectrum disorder as they are commonly misdiagnosed and consequently they worsen to such great extent the damage can not be repaired.

Again if anyone wishes to speak to me then please do. I'm generally quite good at picking these things up but am no way a professional...and i can give you information about where to get assessed, whom to talk to etc.

already been assessted several years ago and was told i have mild autism.
    but thanks anyways

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.