Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many lessons a week do you get for advanced highers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    At my school, I get 4 50 minute periods a week for each of my AHs (english, history, geography). Last year in Higher, we had 5 periods each week for each higher... with 6 periods for english and maths, so i find it strange why we are given less time for AH when they are meant to be harder?

I was just wondering if other schools give this amount of periods a week for AH... or if its just my school being crap

ReputationRep:
    In our school it's 3

ReputationRep:
    Its the whole 'self-teaching' thing, phasing you into a uni mindset.

Dont worry about it, eventually you just wont do work whether you are self teaching or in class.

ReputationRep:
    i get 5 55min periods a week for each of my ahs (maths physics, chemistry). although it varies significantly from subject to subject at my school. think history and english only get 2 and 3 55 mins a week.

ReputationRep:
    We were only going to get 3 for AH Bio but managed to convince them to give us 4 a week.

The taught part of AH's are a lot shorter so less teaching time is needed.

ReputationRep:
    I had 4 lessons a week timetabled for Biology and Chemistry, but thankfully the teachers were pretty flexible so I could arrange extra lessons when they were free, this was great especially for project work.

For Maths I had 6 lessons timetabled a week, :p:

ReputationRep:
    We had 8 40 minute periods for an AH, but our sixth year timetable was quite flexible so most people missed at least a couple periods of one or two of their subjects and I know some people ended up doing something like 3 periods.

As said, though, Advanced Highers are meant to be much more self-driven.

ReputationRep:
    6 periods of around 50 minutes, although we don't get cover if a teacher is off, and quite often we get to leave early in Maths.

Some of the subjects with less than 10 taking them only have 4 periods a week.

ReputationRep:
    We had 5 50 or 55 minute periods, but a few of them were just sit there and do questions.

If you can't motivate yourself to do the work though, having extra periods isn't going to help.

ReputationRep:
    We had 5 periods a week per subject, whether higher/AH/int1/2 I believe, although some like AH german/french apparently have slightly less.

We have 5 for most Advanced Highers (I think Art only has 3/4), with each period lasting either 50/55 mins. Haven't started Mechanics yet, but as far as I know I'll be getting 4/5 periods of it. If that turns out not to be the case, there are plenty free periods to go in and work

ReputationRep:
    In our school it is usually 5, maybe 6 for the sciences. I remember that I had AH Maths, double chemistry and double biology on Mondays (in that order). Not pleasant haha.
    We had even more when we started investigations etc. But it'll vary between schools I'd imagine.

ReputationRep:
    Each subject is supposed to have 6 periods (1 a day and one day with a double period) but if there isn't many people in the class that number is cut, for AH English I had 5 periods and for AH Modern Studies only 3.

ReputationRep:
    In Art I get 3 periods a week and two study periods.
    In Biology I get 4 periods plus 2 study. Last years AH Bio managed to get 5 a week due to the way the timetable worked. Lucky buggers... I prefer class work to individual study.

ReputationRep:
    For AH Maths I had 5 50 min periods (quadruple maths on a monday morning was roughh...), 4 periods for AH French, and I think it was 5 for AH bio, but some of them weren't teaching, but when you could get on with some of ur project etc...

ReputationRep:
    i had 8 periods a week (30 mins each) for adv biology and english.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie_c)
    (quadruple maths on a monday morning was roughh...)
    Good lord, that cannot have been the most effective way of arranging the periods, surely! Our physics triples were bad enough (2 hours, but with lunch in the middle, which I worked through once or twice).

ReputationRep:
    We were meant to have 6 55 minute periods a week but our school's totally under staffed so it was usually 5 with a teacher (we got 2 for each AH :P) and one which we were left to find a room to study in. For maths though 4 of the periods were maths and the other two were given over to mechanics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Good lord, that cannot have been the most effective way of arranging the periods, surely! Our physics triples were bad enough (2 hours, but with lunch in the middle, which I worked through once or twice).
    They didn't have enough maths teachers in the school at the time, so a recently retired teacher came in, but the only time she could do was on a monday morning, so we had it all, but one period on a wed, on mon morning... Mondays were bad, 4 periods of AH maths, followed by double chemistry...UGH! ...and Maths was pretty full on seeing as there were only 2 of us... fun times..

ReputationRep:
    I have 3 teaching periods of History and then 5 of french..

I guess it varies from subject to subject.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.