Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many lessons a week do you get for advanced highers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    At my (old) school it varies from subject to subject. I had 6 50 minute periods a week for each of the science AHs (all pretty much with a teacher) but for English, History etc they had less with a couple of periods a week devoted to self study. I think this was primarily due to the fact that there is more self study in the arts subjects and the fact that less people took them

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it varies at my school too, depending on class sizes.

I've got 2 supervised periods for Biology although I dont have a teacher, 4 teaching periods for English, and 5 for Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Oh right i see...
    thanks everyone!

ReputationRep:
    For all advanced highers in my old school (as I recently left) you get 5 50/55 minute periods, and for AH maths and english its 6 periods. All of these were in a classroom with a teacher, but you are expected to spent a free column to do extra AH work, this was when we had to do practical work for our projects. Btw my teacher was hopeless.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Same as above at my school. It's just the same as the Higher at my school. 5 periods for AH's except Maths and English which get 6. All of these are with a teacher but they more or less leave you to your own devices I think, depending on the subject, as it's usually a bi-level class but they're there to teach when it's required.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm thats kinda different, for 5th year we got each subject 6 times a week. For AH we get 3 in class & 3 self-study periods

ReputationRep:
    For all highers and advanced highers at my school we get a period a day for 54 minutes. So 5 periods a week.

ReputationRep:
    I get 5 periods for both AH English & Graphics and only 3 for Maths.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.