Turn on thread page Beta

2010 referendum on PR watch

• View Poll Results: In a referendum on the principle of PR, how would you vote in 2010?
    I support the principle of Proportional Representation in Westminster elections
    56.10%
    I do not support PR, continue with First Past The Post in Westminster elections
    39.02%
    Don't know/wouldnt vote
    4.88%

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. I agree with the principle, but I'd prefer the state cut back before doing it - otherwise significant reforms will be virtually impossible as no government will ever have the strength to force them through.

The state should have to justify having power, not make it difficult to take it away from it.

ReputationRep:
    i think we should adopt a regional PR system which would allow fair seat allocation in a certain area such as the east midlands

(Original post by mfm89)
    True, although that not to say they couldnt form a centre left coalition,
    Yeah, I know that's what a lot of continental labour parties have done, but surely that'd still leave them with less power than if they were just the dominant leftist party under FPTP. While I wouldn't support a traditional Labour Party, at least it had some ideological integrity. New Labour, not so much. I really wouldn't put any hope in it doing the right thing for the right reasons.

(Original post by mfm89)
    plus if you believe what some commentators are saying, the next election could see the end of Labour as a major party. although i think thats mostly the media getting a bit ahead of themselves.
    Does anyone with any sense really believe that? We've pretty much grown up with the dregs of a Tory administration and then Labour, but if you look back pretty much every time a party holds power for a significant length of time, they end up looking near collapse when their spell in power ends. It's just the way things are.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps I spoke too soon.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...bour-elections

(Original post by mfm89)

That's actually quite exciting, this could totally change UK politics and how even the main partys market themselves and who forms coalitions with who.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfm89)

That system's rather confusing. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Tis exciting.
    Big question now then is whether the YES vote would win.

Seems a daft thing to vote to effectively make your vote worthless, granted there are some benefits to FPTP

ReputationRep:
    No, i support FPTP

(Original post by mfm89)
    Tis exciting.
    Big question now then is whether the YES vote would win.

Seems a daft thing to vote to effectively make your vote worthless, granted there are some benefits to FPTP
    The yes vote would surely win? The people want democracy and we all know FPTP doesn't achieve that as effectively as PR, even if PR has its problems.

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be an AV referendum not PR.

I'd support AV, not sure about PR though, as if worst came to worst, you could see parties like the BNP ending up in coalition governments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)
    I think it would be an AV referendum not PR.

I'd support AV, not sure about PR though, as if worst came to worst, you could see parties like the BNP ending up in coalition governments.
    So you'd only use democracy as a means to your preferred end? To be frank, if you're only supporting one form of voting above another, simply because you might not like the outcome of it, you shouldn't be supporting it at all. Democracy should be an end in itself, regardless of how much you may dislike its product.

ReputationRep:
    You need an option for AV. But should there be a referdendum? Maybe we should have a referendum on whether we should have a referdendum. :P I can see the media deciding the winner...for both options. FPTP that is.

ReputationRep:
    I am in favour of keeping FPTP.

ReputationRep:
    if you are against the EU and want to keep britain free. please vote against PR

(Original post by Adam83)
    if you are against the EU and want to keep britain free. please vote against PR
    Surely PR would make UKIP a serious contender, like it is in Europe with the PR system?

ReputationRep:
    It still astonishes me when I see people arguing against PR by saying it will give smaller parties a bigger say in government, when all PR will do is give smaller parties a say in government proportional to their support - a fair democracy. Now I don't like the BNP, and I don't much like the Greens either, but to say that an electoral system is a bad one because it allows such parties to have power proportional to the fraction of the electorship that wants them to have power is quite frankly ludicrous.

Not to mention that our current FPTP system strongly favours parties who's voters are clustered geographically, which is a totally arbitrary advantage to give, and it just so happens to benefit Labour and the Conservatives as well.

So yes to PR please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    Surely PR would make UKIP a serious contender, like it is in Europe with the PR system?
    yes. all minority party representation would be increased.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.