Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here work for, or has worked for, the likes of Starbucks/Costa/Caffe Nero etc? Be it full time or part time or for a career or just a holiday stop gap, how did you get the job? Do they typically prefer people of a certain age?

Thing is, I may be 25 and with an undergrad degree under my belt (albeit a crappy third) but would consider this type of job but is there the risk I seem to over qualified? How do I get round this and make sure my application is taken seriously? And how can I get the job? How did any of you get such a job?

ReputationRep:
    I want an answer to this too. I'd LOVE to work at starbucks.

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhhh I thought you wanted to become a Barrister and misspelt it:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    I want an answer to this too. I'd LOVE to work at starbucks.
    You're only 17? Should be less of a problem for you than me.

ReputationRep:
    Just pop in and ask for an application form, they legally can't discriminate on the basis of age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antimatter)
    Just pop in and ask for an application form, they legally can't discriminate on the basis of age.
    Yes I get it but I would like advice on how to get shortlisted and GET THE JOB.

What should one put or not put on the applications form(s)? How do you convince them that you are serious and ideal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robocop1andahalf)

What should one put or not put on the applications form(s)? How do you convince them that you are serious and ideal?
    It's Starbucks, I'm sure that it won't be incredibly difficult!

ReputationRep:
    Coffee Republic > Starbucks

Hmph.

ReputationRep:
    It's Starbucks, I'm sure that it won't be incredibly difficult!
    At these times, yes it is. Getting into McDonalds is difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here work for, or has worked for, the likes of Starbucks/Costa/Caffe Nero etc? Be it full time or part time or for a career or just a holiday stop gap, how did you get the job? Do they typically prefer people of a certain age?

Thing is, I may be 25 and with an undergrad degree under my belt (albeit a crappy third) but would consider this type of job but is there the risk I seem to over qualified? How do I get round this and make sure my application is taken seriously? And how can I get the job? How did any of you get such a job?
    Apart from your qualification which i believe would not even matter if you're going for this type of job, but in order to be successful at getting one you'll need to have a personality that stands out, quick thinker, outgoing type, able to work and conduct yourself in a proffessional individual and team working manner. Start by going to big shopping centres where you live and send in postal CV's directed at human resources just don't hand them out to staff member as usually they'll just put them in a bin as you're a throat to their jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    At these times, yes it is. Getting into McDonalds is difficult.
    Weird. My local Starbucks and McDonalds are still looking for people

ReputationRep:
    Weird. My local Starbucks and McDonalds are still looking for people
    Do you live in a major UK city by any chance?

I ask because whenever I see vacancies for places it's always in smaller towns and villages where there is a much smaller population than here.

ReputationRep:
    I worked at Starbucks, and as soon as the recession hit we started getting lots of grads/people who had been managers of other places such as cafes and shops and stuff. I would just go for it if you really want to do it, I didn't like working there, but I worked at one in the city centre and they took all the starbucky rules really seriously (more cleaning than actually making coffee).

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    Do you live in a major UK city by any chance?

I ask because whenever I see vacancies for places it's always in smaller towns and villages where there is a much smaller population than here.
    Nah, rural village ftw.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, rural village ftw.
    Thought so. Damn you farmers daughter!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    Ohhhhh I thought you wanted to become a Barrister and misspelt it:p:
    Lol, me too! It was a relief when I discovered it was intentional, as spelling Barrister wrong might not be a great start if you wanted to become one!!

ahh i'd love to work at starbucks (maybe next summer i'll apply!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavemebehind)
    Coffee Republic > Starbucks

Hmph.
    No way! My latte from Coffee Republic tasted like mud...with foam on top :mad:

ReputationRep:

so you're 25 and have never filled out a job application form?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't mean that they don't though. :yum:

Of course I, personally, don't know either way.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.