Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    Yeah, I think I've head of Ursuline. Wimbledon, right. I am there more than necessary. [Wimbledon, not Ursuline]

:awesome:
    I'd own him as a pet if I could.

When you see it, you'll **** brix
    BECOMING A ****?!?!

:eek:

Nice.....

Yep, Wimbledon :awesome: (<-- :love:)
    Its too close to home
    I'm getting a bit bored of Wimbledon tbh

ReputationRep:
    LMAO i love this thread, people actually think working for a coffe shop is fun. My mate is a braissta and he says the people are rude at times, the pay is lousy, they get treated like ****, the work is ****, and the free coffes don't make up for ****.

Enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavemebehind)
    BECOMING A ****?!?!

:eek:

Nice.....

Yep, Wimbledon :awesome: (<-- :love:)
    Its too close to home
    I'm getting a bit bored of Wimbledon tbh
    Yeah, it's kinda dull after a few goes.
    I am tired, and I think I have swine flu. So I must bid you farewell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    Yeah, it's kinda dull after a few goes.
    I am tired, and I think I have swine flu. So I must bid you farewell

Everyones got Swine flu.... :[
    Ah okay, feel better soon~
    Bye

xxx

:mmm:

ReputationRep:
    There's a massive waiting list at my local Starbucks.

A mate of mine works there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mos Def)
    LMAO i love this thread, people actually think working for a coffe shop is fun. My mate is a braissta and he says the people are rude at times, the pay is lousy, they get treated like ****, the work is ****, and the free coffes don't make up for ****.

Enjoy.
    But..... it is a job and the peeps who work there seem young and full of fun and I can imagine there being a good amicable rapport among everyone. And fills unemployment gaps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    My application was rejected, don't know why :confused: they said it's their policy not to give reasons. My Costa Coffee app also failed due to high competition.
    Did you still get a confirmation of rejection, then or was it where you hear nothing after three weeks so assume you weren't successful? What you said about assuming you (being more qualified than your friend) would not stay there as long was precisely the point I want to know how to get around on an application form. Besides, won't they be recruiting a bit more and have a wee bit less competition come September when the students go back to uni or even school and thus won't have the time to work Monday-Friday any more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    Ohhhhh I thought you wanted to become a Barrister and misspelt it:p:
    lol...... thats what i thought as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to work at Starbucks.

Also, i'd love to know how many people entered this thread to insult you because they thought you were talking in the legal sense. How stupid must they feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robocop1andahalf)
    Did you still get a confirmation of rejection, then or was it where you hear nothing after three weeks so assume you weren't successful? What you said about assuming you (being more qualified than your friend) would not stay there as long was precisely the point I want to know how to get around on an application form. Besides, won't they be recruiting a bit more and have a wee bit less competition come September when the students go back to uni or even school and thus won't have the time to work Monday-Friday any more?
    Yeah they (McDonald's) let you know by a generic e-mail. This is what they send:

Spoiler:
    Show

Dear ----------- ,

Thanks for applying for the position of ' ------------ '. We’ve got a rigorous selection process at McDonald’s and on this occasion, after careful consideration, we’re sorry to inform you that we will not be inviting you to attend the next stage of the recruitment process. It’s part of our policy that we don’t give out specific reasons why an individual has not been successful, but we thank you for your interest and wish you every success in the future.

Kind regards,
    McDonald’s Recruitment Team

I refuse to believe that they 'carefully considered' my last application because it was rejected within a few hours. I think they just had a huge amount of applicants.

You could well be right that there will be less competition by September when kids go back to school, but at the same time, there will be a load of year 11 pupils not going onto further education who will still be looking for work and A-level students/graduates. Plus, I don't particularly want a job in 1st year so my plan was to find work before uni but unfortunately I've been looking for 6 months, to no avail. Bah humbug.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    You could well be right that there will be less competition by September when kids go back to school, but at the same time, there will be a load of year 11 pupils not going onto further education who will still be looking for work and A-level students/graduates. Plus, I don't particularly want a job in 1st year so my plan was to find work before uni but unfortunately I've been looking for 6 months, to no avail. Bah humbug.
    I really just want to time things to perfection. Shall I not fill in and post the application form until the end of August?

Re - A-level students/grads, won't they be off to uni in any case? And also, aren't there some places where they have staff who first applied and got the job before going to uni and were able to come back or whatever for the holiday periods. But of course, who will fill it in during term time?

ReputationRep:
    I really just want to time things to perfection. Shall I not fill in and post the application form until the end of August?

Re - A-level students/grads, won't they be off to uni in any case? And also, aren't there some places where they have staff who first applied and got the job before going to uni and were able to come back or whatever for the holiday periods. But of course, who will fill it in during term time?
    Tbh, after 6 months of rejection after rejection I've learnt that getting a job is like playing a lottery. There is no guarantee.
    You will be better off if you start applying now, don't leave it until you actaully need the job, especially in the current climate.

With regards to A-level/Grads going to university, well graduates have graduated, they've finished uni so they'll be looking for work. I was saying that although there are current A-level students who will go to uni in September and year 11 students who will go and do A-levels there will also be thousands of students who have just completed year 11 or A-level who have no intention of doing any further study - they will be looking for jobs. So in won't make it any easier.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah OK, I know that is a typical part of the Job Spec but how do I show it and prove it on an application form without sounding trite and prove that I am being serious and not just saying it to impress them?

To those who have worked in a cafe place before, please tell me how did you get the job? Think back and remember what you said or did on your application form and interview to convince them.
    Listen if you can read then shouldn't have a problem completing the application form, and nobody is going to tell you word to word of what to write neither say when you get here, like i said before when you do reach at the interview stage even if you have all the right educational qualifications plus a uni degree if you still have no real personality and character which you do require to work in that environment you will not get the job its just that simple. And apart from filling out the application form remember first impressions also count, come across nice may get the job as you will be servicing customers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geeksandtherest)
    Listen if you can read then shouldn't have a problem completing the application form, and nobody is going to tell you word to word of what to write neither say when you get here, like i said before when you do reach at the interview stage even if you have all the right educational qualifications plus a uni degree if you still have no real personality and character which you do require to work in that environment you will not get the job its just that simple. And apart from filling out the application form remember first impressions also count, come across nice may get the job as you will be servicing customers.
    How are they going to get a first impression from a piece of paper that gets posted to them?

ReputationRep:
    I still have not had a clear answer.

Do I fill in the form online and post it or is it more the done thing to walk in and ask for an application form, and also leave them a copy of my CV? To those who worked in this before - what did you do and how did you get it?

I am not asking much.

ReputationRep:
    I still have not had a clear answer.

Do I fill in the form online and post it or is it more the done thing to walk in and ask for an application form, and also leave them a copy of my CV? To those who worked in this before - what did you do and how did you get it?

I am not asking much.
    a common response after phone calls asking if we have jobs (i work at starbucks), from various supervisors is 'they'd have more of a chance if they came in and asked.' you'd do a lot better if you came in and asked for an application form and then came back in to return it or filled it out in the store. regardless of your qualifications or age, there should be no reason to turn you down. when i applied, i was 19 and had just been fired from my last job. my application form went in on saturday, i got a phone call on the monday and an interview on tuesday. by the following friday, i had the job. just be yourself, that's probably the most important thing i can say.

having said all that, there is a hold on our recruitment at the moment (speaking for the leeds district anyway). it may be that they start looking in the run up to christmas, and it is also a common thing that when each store manager has meetings (fairly regularly), especially those that are centered around recruiting, they will take all the application forms and cv's they've been given and share them amongst each other. so it may be that you end up working at a different store to the one you handed your application in.

i think your best bet would be to go to your local store and ask them if they're looking. if they're not, ask for a form anyway, there's no harm in that. hope this helps you out someway, but if you need to know any more then feel free to pm me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kobrakai)
    a common response after phone calls asking if we have jobs (i work at starbucks), from various supervisors is 'they'd have more of a chance if they came in and asked.' you'd do a lot better if you came in and asked for an application form and then came back in to return it or filled it out in the store. regardless of your qualifications or age, there should be no reason to turn you down. when i applied, i was 19 and had just been fired from my last job. my application form went in on saturday, i got a phone call on the monday and an interview on tuesday. by the following friday, i had the job. just be yourself, that's probably the most important thing i can say.

having said all that, there is a hold on our recruitment at the moment (speaking for the leeds district anyway). it may be that they start looking in the run up to christmas, and it is also a common thing that when each store manager has meetings (fairly regularly), especially those that are centered around recruiting, they will take all the application forms and cv's they've been given and share them amongst each other. so it may be that you end up working at a different store to the one you handed your application in.

i think your best bet would be to go to your local store and ask them if they're looking. if they're not, ask for a form anyway, there's no harm in that. hope this helps you out someway, but if you need to know any more then feel free to pm me
    Ta for that! But the saying "run up to christmas" can vary in definition from person to person. It could mean 1st December or much earlier like the start of September in some people's eyes.

Is it a possible scenario to end up working at the Starbucks/Costa/Caffe Nero whatever in more than one location?

ReputationRep:
    Ta for that! But the saying "run up to christmas" can vary in definition from person to person. It could mean 1st December or much earlier like the start of September in some people's eyes.

Is it a possible scenario to end up working at the Starbucks/Costa/Caffe Nero whatever in more than one location?
    it's whenever we get the go ahead to start recruiting for christmas really. it'd be best to keep going in and asking when they're recruiting.

yes it is. you'll have your 'home' store, which is where you'll work permanently, but if other stores need cover then you may need to go to one of them too.

ReputationRep:
    tbh there is such a high volume of applications, don't spend too much time on one application. Do you know what happens? Every week or fortnight they get a massive pile of printouts etc, most of it goes in the bin, they skim through the whole thing sometimes most of it isn't even read.

Put down relevent experience, do not deliberately omit stuff from your cv as it doesn't come out well when they start asking you what you have been up to and you slip up.Me beinig a graduate I definitely know that these places seem to discrminate against you.

Reaching interviews is good, it means you passed the lottery. The interview is the important bit that requires thinking

ReputationRep:
    check it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZkpE6S9kZg

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.