Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you ever go to a club on your own? Watch

If your friend ditched last minute because they were ill and you'd been looking forward to going out all week, would you still go on your own, if everybody else was busy?

The club I'm going to is an Indie club and it's always pretty friendly in there. Most times you can end up sitting and talking with a group of strangers because everybody that goes is so laid back and friendly. My friend cancelled on me but I've been bored all week and I don't want this to ruin my weekend so I'm tempted to still go out. But I don't want to be seen as "that weird guy that came on his own". :/

Would it be creepy if I went on my own and just maybe started conversation with people in there?

ReputationRep:
    Going to a club on your own is seriously boring...and people will just think you're weird if you randomly talk to them (unless you're some extremely fit looking guy/gal).

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. Clubs are the ideal place to meet people. If you can't start chatting to a stranger there, where else could you. Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go on my own, but that's just me. Probably because I prefer having company I know to fall back on. It always seems so awkward when the conversation runs out and you don't know the person.

But, if you're going to go; go. I wouldn't exactly be freaked out if you started a conversation with me in a club, but, who knows what other people will think...?

Hm. Well I've actually managed to find another guy who wants to go and didn't go out the other night so he's up for it. Though it presents pretty much the same problem, as if one of us meets a girl, it leaves the other person stranded.

ReputationRep:
    I'd start talking to a stranger if they had come with a group of their friends, but if they had jsut come by themselves I would definitely find it weird.

Everyone will think you're a mentalist, or a potential rape victim.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    Never :no:

ReputationRep:
    I could never go on my own - I'd be too self conscious, plus I dread the idea of walking up to a group of strangers in a club with no one to back me up.
    But that's just me - if you're a supremely confident person who has no qualms about randomly talking to people you don't know then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    No way. That's like the worst social proofing you can ever have. Personally I go to club with women or not at all. (unless I'm out to get smashed)

(Original post by Economist)
    No
    Opportunity cost just too high?

ReputationRep:
    Rather poke my eyes out than go "clubbing" like that lol. Wait next time when your mate doesn't flop on you =)

ReputationRep:
    no.
    if you do, please make sure you get home safe on your own..

ReputationRep:
    yo which club bro?

ReputationRep:
    nope go with 2 other people at a minimum

that allows for someone to get off with someone/go home early/ meet their other friends and abandon you/ etc so that the other 2 can still keep eachother company

then again i went out about a month ago with 2 other people and BOTH of them got off with someone (maybe im just hanging out with the wrong people.....) i was so bored i just looked like i was despirately tagging along on some date or something but i didnt want to leave them alone with some guy they just met so ended up half day dreaming/ despirately looking for opportunities to talk to strangers and half looking after them

(but even if u dont want to get off and just chat with strangers, you've got to be very good looking nd look happy/sociable which is very hard if your on your own or have been abandoned and your only the lower size of average looking)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i like tea)
    nope go with 2 other people at a minimum

that allows for someone to get off with someone/go home early/ meet their other friends and abandon you/ etc so that the other 2 can still keep eachother company

then again i went out about a month ago with 2 other people and BOTH of them got off with someone (maybe im just hanging out with the wrong people.....) i was so bored i just looked like i was despirately tagging along on some date or something but i didnt want to leave them alone with some guy they just met so ended up half day dreaming/ despirately looking for opportunities to talk to strangers and half looking after them

(but even if u dont want to get off and just chat with strangers, you've got to be very good looking nd look happy/sociable which is very hard if your on your own or have been abandoned and your only the lower size of average looking)
    You're doing it wrong. When you get to the club, BE SOCIABLE. Make a point of going round the room talking to all the groups quickly. And then settle down for a while afterwards. Doesn't have that much to do with looks.

ReputationRep:
    also girls can get away with going clubbing with fewer people.

whereas if a guy went clubbing with jst one other person tbh i would assume they were gay (but tbh thats just being stereotypical; which unfortunately we all to some extent judge people on)

ReputationRep:
    Going with 1 other mate is the best in my opinion.

I used to do it very often when everyone else was too scared to go.

Tis great fun, although it (probably) requires getting completely hammered.

If the mate gets a girl and your on the own, then the pressures on for you to do likewise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    You're doing it wrong. When you get to the club, BE SOCIABLE. Make a point of going round the room talking to all the groups quickly. And then settle down for a while afterwards. Doesn't have that much to do with looks.

i have absolutely no idea of how to chat to strangers

and if i try to i just look despirate and like some failed attempt at attracting them; then i'd get some *****y remarks about my appearance.
    hense why if i was to go clubbing i'dmake sure its with a fairly large group of friends; say around 7 or 8 maybe (3 of us at absolute MINUMUM) that way i have people to fall back on and can have a good time sticking to people i know like me/ wont take the piss/ make rude remarks/ etc

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.