Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's your relationship with your family like? Watch

Just curious, as a lot of my friends seem to have bad relationships with their family, and only a few are actually 'happy' at home. I even know one person who is estranged from her family, their relationship got so bad.

Please vote and leave any comments, like why your relationship is so bad/good.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Kickass. Not sure why...just is.

Im happy at home...well except for when my parents nag at me to do stuff even when im knackered from work/college/hungover

Poll didn't work, so options are:

1 - I live at home and have a great relationship with my family.

2 - I live at home, but have a bad relationship with my family, and have no plans to leave.

3 - I live at home, but have a bad relationship with my family, and am planning to leave soon.

4 - I moved out of home because our relationship was so bad.

5 - I was thrown out of home because our relationship was so bad.

6 - I am permanently estranged from my family because our relationship deteriorated so much.

ReputationRep:
    Option 6, essentially. Though I hope my siblings will get in touch with me when they're older.

(Original post by cpj1987)
    Option 6, essentially. Though I hope my siblings will get in touch with me when they're older.
    What went wrong, if you don't mind talking about it? Was it your choice to leave?

ReputationRep:
    i have a perfect relationship with my parents. i love them, they love me.
    my brother is a different story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Poll didn't work
    cos you're anon fool.

ReputationRep:
    i dont live at home but hav a very good relationship with my family just went over to visit family in ireland a few weeks ago, although i wish i saw my big brother more his always busy at work as his a grapic designer but are relaionship is not bad i love him loads and my lil brother and my mom! and the rest of my HUGE family lol

ReputationRep:
    What went wrong, if you don't mind talking about it? Was it your choice to leave?
    It was my choice, yes. Severe abuse throughout my childhood (ages 6-18), with the final straw this May. I'd go into more detail by PM if you're interested enough to PM, but won't put more on here.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Poll didn't work, so options are:

2 - I live at home, but have a bad relationship with my family, and have no plans to leave.

3 - I live at home, but have a bad relationship with my family, and am planning to leave soon.

4 - I moved out of home because our relationship was so bad.

5 - I was thrown out of home because our relationship was so bad.

6 - I am permanently estranged from my family because our relationship deteriorated so much.
    No option 7?

7 - I moved out because I grew up
    :p:

For the record, I love my mam dearly, but we fight like cat and dog. We talk on the phone pretty much on a daily basis, but when she comes round she's so darned infuriating I end up wanting to smash rocks on my forehead.
    So, we fight a lot, but there's love there too. I suppose that's sort of like what siblings do.
    I was relieved to move out because we do fight a lot, but I didn't move out BECAUSE of her, I moved out because I was nearly 19 and I wanted to live with my bloke.

ReputationRep:
    Woop for me

ReputationRep:
    None of the above! I have a great relationship with my little brother, OK/Good relationship with both parents, and i hate my big brother but he is leaving soon yay! and i plan to leave when i go uni but thats nothing to do with family just because i don't want to go to any of the uni's near me!

ReputationRep:
    It was option 5, now it's option 1.
    I think we both had lots of growing up to do, and now, even though I still have some bad days, and so does she, we're generally alright.
    It helps that she's worked out now just to avoid me when I'm ill

ReputationRep:
    My sisters and I are very close. My mother and I are quite close. My dad and I are okay. So all in all its good.

ReputationRep:
    Option 1. I have a good relationship with my mum - we're not as close as we used to be, but still happy.

ReputationRep:
    I have a good relationship with my family - occasional arguements but never anything serious

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't live without mine.
    Our relationships aren't always great but I'd never be able to cut them out of my life. Nor would I want to, no matter how pissed off I was.

/cheese.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty good, me and my brother are very similar.

ReputationRep:
    None of the options really.
    We get along ok, my dad seems to be the issue within our family and is how the majority of disagreements/ tension is started.
    I have a good relationship with my younger brother though, i think its because we've both grown up a fair bit now, we can get along better.

Having said that i dont spend much time at home anymore due to moving out for uni.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.