Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's your relationship with your family like? Watch

Option 6 - I left home 2 years ago, when my step-dad was gonna beat me up, and then went back after a month of family mediation, then my mother threw me out 2 weeks later. I'm now permanently estranged from all my family.

ReputationRep:
    Option 1 for me. I love my Mumsie and Dadsie to bits. I have a good relationship with my brother, though we have completely different personalities, worth ethics etc. I used to have counselling though because when I was about 8 or 9 we didn't get on at all. I'm probably slightly closer to my sister, because I'm seven years older (I can remember when she was born and looking after her and stuff). I like to mediate between my mum and my sister (they argue, girly hormones I think).

My mother and I are distant and non-communicative; the fault of us both. We have the same depressive tendencies, but there the similarities end, and divulging even the slightest detail of my "life" is a tremendous strain. My father and I get on well, and I like him a lot, but over the last few weeks I can't help but wonder if we're drifting apart: conversation is more difficult - little to discuss, and I had not the heart to tell him why I was so sad, instead blaming "tiredness". That said, I talked on the phone with my mother last night and she parted goodbye saying "love you", which I cannot ever remember her saying before.

Thanks for all the responses so far. I'm having a lot of problems at home, and was just wondering whether it was common for family life to get really dire.

ReputationRep:
    I get on with my mum, because she is completely unobtrusive. I think that is more bad than good, though - but I don't live with her anymore, anyway... I love living with my dad 50% of the time and 50% of the time would kill to move out, both for the same reasons exactly: he's controlling all of the time and slightly OCDish most of the time. He's the opposite of my mother, basically - it's so strange.
    I've always gotten on with my brother, so to speak, but that's probably because neither of us have it in each other not to! I feel sorry for him, though. I always got good attention from my dad, whereas he always seemed to bear the brunt of him (with the best of intentions, that is).. Bad times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for all the responses so far. I'm having a lot of problems at home, and was just wondering whether it was common for family life to get really dire.
    I wouldn't say common, but most people don't have an ideal home life or anything, Unfortunately for some people it is quite bad.

Have you talked to anyone about what's happening at home?

ReputationRep:
    Well, lets see.

My stepdad just asked me to walk the dog, even though she's been out on 2 really long walks today.
    And i say, 'Why?'
    And he says something along the lines of, just do it.

I go upstairs to listen to some music.
    The door slams.
    I go downstairs.
    My mother ignores me for about 5 minutes.
    Then turns to me and says;

'WHY? WHY CANT YOU JUST IGNORE HIM? WHY DO YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO ASK QUESTIONS? SERIOUSLY, WHY? YOU KNOW BETTER THAN THIS. IT REALLY ***** ME OFF'

So, i guess that answers your question.
    Roll on September.

ReputationRep:
    Our house is the battlefield and my mother is Germany.
    We're talking WWII-Germany.

Let's not even get into my relationship with my sisters ..
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Poll didn't work, so options are:

1 - I live at home and have a great relationship with my family.

2 - I live at home, but have a bad relationship with my family, and have no plans to leave.

3 - I live at home, but have a bad relationship with my family, and am planning to leave soon.

4 - I moved out of home because our relationship was so bad.

5 - I was thrown out of home because our relationship was so bad.

6 - I am permanently estranged from my family because our relationship deteriorated so much.
    Erm, where's the option for moving out of home and having a good relationship with your family?

Moving out is a normal, healthy, essential part of growing up. It does not mean you have a bad relationship with your family...

(Original post by la fille danse)
    Erm, where's the option for moving out of home and having a good relationship with your family?

Moving out is a normal, healthy, essential part of growing up. It does not mean you have a bad relationship with your family...
    Ooh, sorry, guess I didn't think about that. And yes, moving out is obviously a normal thing to do

ReputationRep:
    My brother's awesome. But I have a problem with love since my Dad decided to hang himself and fate decided to have me find the body :laugh: and therefore its hard for me to connect. This extends to life in general but in terms of family, I don't feel love for any members of my family. I don't hate them, I simply have no affection for them, barring my 5 year old cousin and her younger brother (not sure why).

ReputationRep:
    option 1 =)

ReputationRep:
    Alright I guess, could be worse, anyway.

I'm glad to be going to uni in two months though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazija)
    i have a perfect relationship with my parents. i love them, they love me.
    my brother sister is a different story.
    Same.

Awful. Probably couldn't be worse.
    I don't get on with my mum. I have half sisters that I've never met. My dad won't talk to me because my step mum controls him.

Fortunately I have my cousin who also hates the whole debacle. It's heartening because it actually makes him feel sick to the stomach when he thinks about how my dad behaves.

I have no idea why things are like this.

6 =(

ReputationRep:
    None of the options really.
    Mum - Okay
    Dad - Okay
    Brother - we don't talk.
    Another brother - Gives me moneys
    Sister - I share a room with :sigh: so we HAVE to get on otherwise it's a nightmare

I got on best with my siblings who don't live at home :sigh: Yes, I have a huge family.

6 =(
    What happened? (I'm option 6 too)

ReputationRep:
    option 2 is probably the closest. I really love my mum but her ****** boyfriend has screwed up our relationship. I plan to leave when I can but I'm only 15 so that could be hard...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    None of the options really.
    Mum - Okay
    Dad - Okay
    Brother - we don't talk.
    Another brother - Gives me moneys
    Sister - I share a room with :sigh: so we HAVE to get on otherwise it's a nightmare

I got on best with my siblings who don't live at home :sigh: Yes, I have a huge family.
    How many siblings do you have? :shock:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.