Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Changing a BA to Bsc - why is my uni so weird? watch

ReputationRep:
    Right, I go to Lancaster Uni and I am currently on the BA Accounting & Finance.

But I was told by my Director of Studies that I can change it to Bsc by just filling in a form - UCAS confirms that the title of my degree is a BA/Bsc Accounting & Finance. Apparently the modules I chose has no bearing on the title of my degree - it is really a simple case of changing the degree title..

The weird thing is... why the hell are we allowed to choose whether we want BA or Bsc lol... why don't make it a default Bsc degree because it will be seen as more 'valuable' anyway...

Anyone else have the same problem at their uni?:woo:

ReputationRep:
    they did it with economics as well at your uni

ReputationRep:
    But why? Who in their right mind will choose a BA over a Bsc?

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes a BSc means that you'll have to take more sciencey/mathsy courses to get that particular title, so some people who wanted a more scientific/mathematical slant on their subject would go for a BSc, and some wouldn't and they'd opt for the BA. Clearly that isn't universal though.

ReputationRep:
    It's not at all unusual, particularly for Economics. Usually you do have to have taken certain modules to qualify, but that may have been possible as part of your degree. It's like the fact that I do BA History and Politics, but could have chosen to take the same modules as somebody doing BA International History and International Politics. Essentially, it's the same degree, just slightly more restrictive.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is quite comment at certain universities with economics, however they have required modules for the BSc version. To be quite honest, I've no idea what Lancaster is up to. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it and simply choose the BSc.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by verticalforce)
    But why? Who in their right mind will choose a BA over a Bsc?
    Well I would, seeing as I want to do English. A BSc has no more value than a BA at all.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RNBen)
    Well I would, seeing as I want to do English. A BSc has no more value than a BA at all.
    In very quantitative courses it can make a difference.

(Original post by RNBen)
    BSc in econ is usually a signifier of more maths content and less theory. Could be relevant for some jobs.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    In very quantitative courses it can make a difference.
    Yes, but then you would be studying a BSc, what I am saying is those who think that a BA has any less value than a BSc are either ignorant or wants to believe that their BSc makes them of a higher value to those studying a BA.

(Original post by numb3rb0y)
    BSc in econ is usually a signifier of more maths content and less theory. Could be relevant for some jobs.
    If you were applying for a job that involved a lot of maths, etc, then yes, a BSc would be more relevant. However, in other positions a BA would be much more relevant, for example, if going in to the travel industry then someone with a BA in Tourism Management would have a more valuable degree than the person with a maths degree.

It is all relative to the field in which one wants to work in later in life, a BSc is no more valuable than a BA and a BA is no more valuable than a BSc when one wants to merely compare the two without any real significance attached to the argument. It is impossible to compare the two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)
    Well I was referring to my degree course. Of course it doesn't make any sense to have a BSc in English.

We are given choice irrespective of modules that we chose, to graduate with either a BA or BSc and from my point of view, BSc in Accounting will always be looked at more favourably than a BA.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RNBen)
    Yes, but then you would be studying a BSc, what I am saying is those who think that a BA has any less value than a BSc are either ignorant or wants to believe that their BSc makes them of a higher value to those studying a BA.
    Not necessarily. In the field of economics this is a very contentious issue. The discipline itself is supposed to be very quantitative, yet many universities offer it as a BA and also water down the mathematical content.

That said, I do agree if we're comparing a BA in one discipline with a BSc in another that the point is moot and neither is more valuable per se than the other.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.