Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Buying stuff for university: cheap or quality? watch

ReputationRep:
    When choosing stuff (e.g. plates, cups, stationery, linen, towels) to take with you to university, are you more inclined to go for the cheapest, or the stuff that looks good quality?

ReputationRep:
    Usually something in between, not the cheapest but not the most expensive. But what sort of thing are you meaning?

ReputationRep:
    It will get ruined quickly ! Cheap! Cheap! Cheap! Lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    Cheap for things that don't matter and might get broken or stolen- cutlery, plates glasses, it's worth spending more on pans. Electrical goods: generally cheap should be ok, especially if you are not sure if others will bring the same thing, its often not worth buying them beforehand. Towels etc- depends how fussy you are, I got sort of one stage better than the cheapest (if that makes sense!)

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for cheap (not that I'm at uni yet) simply because it's less harsh on your initial funds and if it breaks in one of your drunken rampages you won't be too gutted.

ReputationRep:
    Stuff I like. My friend had a cheap frying pan.
    In a drunken playfight, it's now got a massive dent on it. As has his head.
    Point

ReputationRep:
    Im buying cheap as my older brother went to uni and said things get ruined easily.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest ive gone for a quite alot of cheap stuff. smartprice cutlery plates and mugs just cos i know from staying with my boyfriend at uni they wont last,bought a decent tin opener just cos cheap ones are awful and everything else was more or less in between. im not paying loads out of the money im taking to uni when loads of it is going to get damaged
    xx

ReputationRep:
    I pretty much go for a happy medium, too. But I don't want to buy anything until I know I got the grades (even though everyone I know has already bought nearly everything). :|
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    as others have said i would go somewhere in between as it is hardly worth buying cheap stuff as it often dosen't last it'd be better to buy good quality stuff, just not top of the range imo

ReputationRep:
    Ive gone for cheap plates, cuttlery etc (breakable stuff) but good quality knives, wok, pans etc
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    The happy medium is the best bet with anything you know isn't going to get smashed/go missing.

Cheap stuff just needs replacing each year and you'll end up spending more over your degree.

ReputationRep:
    I borrowed a load of stuff from home that wouldn't matter if it broke, cos some of it did get messed up. I took a mug I liked and some guy broke it in first year. Never again!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    When at university I won’t change my purchasing habits. Everyone says to buy ‘cheap’, but by doing so you’re guaranteeing you’ll have to replace it only two or so months down the line as it won’t last.

If I’d normally buy something expensive, I’ll continue to do so, whereas if I’d normally buy something in a medium price range, I’d continue to do so. You shouldn’t change your purchasing habits simply on the basis of university.

ReputationRep:
    Cheap on glasses plate cutlery etc
    Middle ground on pans utensiles etc

thats my plan for this year after buying two sets of cheap pans in a year

ReputationRep:
    cheap on most, but, disposable plates and that are what im taking more of.
    Quality clothes too
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Cheap cheap cheap. I always stock up on things from Poundland/the 99p store/the 89p store before I head off to uni :yep:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you're in a shared kitchen, things will get stolen/put in bin by cleaners/ etc etc. I had 10 forks and left with 1...

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes you can find cheap stuff that isn't actually going to fall apart after two uses. My knives and chopping board were really cheap but are actually okay quality and the board is really sturdy- I've been using them for six months (granted I'm not at uni) and they're nowhere near being replaced. I think as long as you shop around and make sure when you buy something cheap that it's fit for its purpose then it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    Ikea stuff =]

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.