Turn on thread page Beta

Buying stuff for university: cheap or quality? watch

ReputationRep:
    anything that you'll keep in the shared areas i.e. kitchen CHEAP CHEAP and CHEAP so you wont be upset when/if its broken/stolen etc. if its in your room and you dont share - then quality ... if your in a shared room... medium at first and then judge from your roommate (i.e. how trustworthy they are...)

ReputationRep:
    For plates and breakables, buy cheap. Chances are someone will break them and replace them with the cheapest they can find, so why bother with quality? A plate is a plate. Knives and forks quickly go missing for some strange reason (especially when everyone's moving out at the end of the year), so no point buying expensive.

Stationary, I buy quality. Cheap stationary never seems to last long, especially the pens (I swear the ink runs out within 2 weeks!).

Towels and Linen, usual stuff. Nothing uber expensive, but not cheap either. To be honest, my parents house has so much towels and linen I just borrow a few and they don't notice.

ReputationRep:
    Cheap stuff, because anything expensive is stolen or ruined!

Like my drugged up flatmate cleaning my really nice saucepans with non stick coating with a scourer grrrr....

ReputationRep:
    Cheap. So many of my stuff's been "misplaced" or broken I woulsn't recommend anyone taking anything expensive, especially to the kitchen. I bought a fairly pricey chef's knife some ****** then promptly stole. But stuff you can keep in your room can be nice and pricey

ReputationRep:
    Hmm i found this set a tesco that is SUPER cheap tesco value stuff, it'll probly be really crap value but for £15.45 you get: 3 saucepans, 3 sets of scissors, big spoon, slatted spoon, turner, tongs, tin opener, ice cream scoop, garlic press, vegetable peeler, pizza cutter and a set of 5 nives + wooden block.
    Would you say that that's worth it considering the bad quality of them??

ReputationRep:
    Cheap, saves you a lot of money and if you're careful with the stuff it'll last a long time. If you find that you have a bit of extra money after a while you can always 'upgrade' - that's pretty much what I've done.

It also gets you into the student lifestyle of having to buy cheap things all the time when you have no money!

ReputationRep:
    Kitchen stuff, cheap. Linen, mid range. Stationary, expensive.
    Kitchen stuff is likely to go missing, or get ruined, so you dont want to spend loads.
    Linen, well, you want a bit of quality.
    Stationary wise, i go expensive because i want quality, because its a big factor in my course.

ReputationRep:
    Buy better sauce pans, i had to buy a knew one in my first year cause my smart price one was sooooo ikky. ikea can be expensive so be careful. plastic instead of class is good because things can soo easily be knocked over. you are guaranteed to almost loose a knife or spoon etc so buy fairly cheap cutlery. With plates, bowls try and buy some which will be around for a while in the shop, like a continueing bog standard line because u will likely have to replace something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jporter1)
    It will get ruined quickly ! Cheap! Cheap! Cheap! Lol :p:
    Cheap for the win, how much for sexytime? :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    cheap man, its uni, you live on cheap and tesco value :yy: :p:

plus if you lose it or it get's broken then it won't cost as much to replace it

ReputationRep:
    I'm just buying cheap stuff. Well, apart from the tin opener I'm gonna buy, I've got to have a more expensive one that we use at home coz I can never use the cheap ones :/ Cheap doesn't always mean bad quality though, I've got some cheap towels from Primark coz we use them at home too and they're great quality, they've last ages and are really soft

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by km31)
    Hmm i found this set a tesco that is SUPER cheap tesco value stuff, it'll probly be really crap value but for £15.45 you get: 3 saucepans, 3 sets of scissors, big spoon, slatted spoon, turner, tongs, tin opener, ice cream scoop, garlic press, vegetable peeler, pizza cutter and a set of 5 nives + wooden block.
    Would you say that that's worth it considering the bad quality of them??
    Just because stuff is cheap, doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be complete ****. Also, for an alright wooden chopping block, it's about £10-£15 depending on it's size, so you got a deal there. Ice-cream scoops will also last, because they only get occasional use. As for a garlic press, I'm getting one of these bad boys: http://www.daytripsociety.com/index....rlic+card-Blue but that's because I've got no physical strength or hand-eye co-ordination.

what about raiding charity shops?
    they have a tendancy to have medium-quality stuff that's dead cheap

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how anyone would want to steal someone's forks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I bought all cheap stuff. Chances are that a lot of it will get broken/stolen/damaged so it's not worth spending a lot of money.
    I got a lot of my stuff from Matalan for my undergraduate uni and I'm still using quite a bit of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiFlag)
    I don't understand how anyone would want to steal someone's forks
    Chances are being in a house cutlery is going to be shared. No one wants to steal someone else's forks, but after a year of people taking food back to their rooms etc. cutlery has a tendency to go missing. Plus lots of cutlery looks fairly similar anyway, so by the end of the year people forget what's theirs and may take someone else's by mistake.

ReputationRep:
    My stuff is somewhere in he middle, but none of it was stolen or broken or damaged any more than a few years of use. Just don't be rowdy? I never had a problem with people using my stuff etc as we all had lockable cupboards.

ReputationRep:
    you can buy cheap new stuff now. i would be on the look out for them. you don't need expensive cutlery or whatever. I personally like having new things especilly when it comes to personal things like culery, but i try to find a quality bargain don't always go for the cheapest, they may not be long lasting. You can buy yourself a set of plastic plates glasses and forks for under a tenner. im not in uni yet, but i've made plans and lists already and i think appliances are the things you want to get second hand, although sometimes they're already provided by the campus. if you're sharing, someone may have already brought it too. check all those things. Also if you can't afford a certain appliance, there are many other alternative ways. For example, if there isn't a kettle, you can boil your water in a pot, if you don't have toast, use the oven, if you don't have a microwave, use the oven. etc.

And in terms of furniture like desks, second hand is the way to do, but have a look at many places first and check what you are buying. make sure if its faulty, its not a major fault. check that everything works and it looks to your liking. Also learn to negotiate, it will fetch you bargains. go to car boot sales, you will find things going for ridiculously low prices.
    hope it helps, and good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Cheap and cheerful for communal stuff. Asda or Tesco. TK Maxx for well-reduced good quality kitchen bits and pieces. Stuff for your room as luxurious as you want, you're not going to be sharing your bedlinen (well, apart from with a select few lol) etc so doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    Don't buy cutlery or any condiments. Go out for food and steal them. You'll be very popular if you have 13 sachets of tartare sauce.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.