The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I like high quality, but have bought some cheap items too. I got my duvet, mattress protector and pillows from Primark. My sheets are from Asda but I made sure to get 100% cotton ones. Later bought nice ones from John Lewis which were on sale. I also bought Tesco value crockery which I really wish I didn't. It just looks so cheap! I've promised myself to get nicer stuff after graduation. Asda saucepans lasted a couple of months before they went rusty. I bought good ones from TK Maxx after.
I wonder when the thread of what people have bought start. Dont buy cheap cutlery i got mine stupidly cheap and im now basically starting from scratch again
Reply 42
cheap for cutlery and taking old plates from home and other stuff is like medium priced. dont wanna spend loads on my first yr cuz im sure things well get ruined.
Reply 43
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Cheap cheap cheap. I always stock up on things from Poundland/the 99p store/the 89p store before I head off to uni :yep:

WHAT.. THERE IS AN 89p shop?

Where is this?
Ahhh cheapness is always a winner :woo:
Reply 44
my stuffs relativly cheap went to like wilkinsons n shops like that, ur prob gonna wanna change it all nxt year anyway so may aswell buy cheapish stuff
Jenniii
WHAT.. THERE IS AN 89p shop?

Where is this?
Ahhh cheapness is always a winner :woo:

There was one in Hounslow a while back, not sure if it's still there. When you start Roehampton, get on a bus to Richmond, change onto another bus and go to Hounslow. Everything's sooooooo cheap :woo:
Reply 46
The_Lonely_Goatherd
There was one in Hounslow a while back, not sure if it's still there. When you start Roehampton, get on a bus to Richmond, change onto another bus and go to Hounslow. Everything's sooooooo cheap :woo:

Haha i'll make a day of it :p: ...

are buses in london cheap? cos buses in berkshire are the BIGGEST rip off the world has ever seen...

a 20min bus journey to the middle of town (return) = £6.20
It makes me cry!
Jenniii
Haha i'll make a day of it :p: ...

are buses in london cheap? cos buses in berkshire are the BIGGEST rip off the world has ever seen...

a 20min bus journey to the middle of town (return) = £6.20
It makes me cry!

Buy an Oyster card (3 quid deposit) and top it up, then it's 1 quid per bus, 3 quid for a one-day bus pass :smile: Think you can get discounted student rates for weekly passes if Roehampton has signed up with the scheme :smile:
Reply 48
Go for cheap-ish. As many have mentioned, things are bound to get ruined/go missing.

But TIN OPENERS, all of ours were cheap and literally couldn't open a tin with ease. :p:
plates and glasses and such, go for cheap because they get stolen or broken a lot. Frying pans and pans, go for inbetween. Cheap will just be be awefull, but expensive ones are too expensive.
Reply 50
I'd say buy cheap things where there isn't any huge difference in how they'll work and wear over time, and middle-of-the-range things were there is. Things like plates, cutlery and glasses, for example, last basically the same length of time whether you buy them cheap or expensive. Really cheap pans, on the other hand, will end up with the handle falling off and all the non stick peeling and coming off in your food within a couple of months. Really cheap potato peelers, tin openers, cheese graters and so on tend to be blunt and rubbish within that sort of length of time, too (and you end up standing in your kitchen trying to open a tin a millimetre at a time, or whatever). Either way, now is not the time to be buying fantastic top-of-the-range things which will last you for your whole life, because the chances are someone will pinch them (probably not deliberately) or break them (ditto) or you'll end up inadvertantly wrecking them.
For first year, if in halls/college go for the cheapest stuff you can get in the kitchen; you will lose/break or have most of it stolen. If in a house, then feel free to go for better stuff as it'll probably last longer. As for non-kitchen stuff, buy things you like and you can afford, simple as that.

Latest

Trending

Trending