Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey people, just here looking for the opinions of people who'll know a bit more about it than my friends or family.

My offers are in my sig, considering the course (which I doubt is very competitive anyway) and the university in question; what would probably be the lowest grades I could get and still be accepted? Both Southampton and Leicester ask for at least a B in English but what do you think either would think about a high C?

I'm hoping it won't come to this, I just want this information in case of a worse case scenario.

Obviously I don't want this thread to justbe about me, so any other people with similar questions should put them in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Totally depends on how many people make it and get the required grades. You won't be chosen over someone with AAB or probably ABB, but nevertheless unis have been known to let people in if they are off by a grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldplasma)
    Totally depends on how many people make it and get the required grades. You won't be chosen over someone with AAB or probably ABB, but nevertheless unis have been known to let people in if they are off by a grade.
    thumbs up

ReputationRep:
    As coldplasma said!

I appled for French and Film, I got two grades lower than my offer... But that won't be the same for everyone!! You will just have to wait... It all depends on what other people get too! My housemate does Film and English, and she got BCC. I assume her offer was similar to yours.

Good luck!! (What halls have you applied for by the way?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloop)
    As coldplasma said!

I appled for French and Film, I got two grades lower than my offer... But that won't be the same for everyone!! You will just have to wait... It all depends on what other people get too! My housemate does Film and English, and she got BCC. I assume her offer was similar to yours.

Good luck!! (What halls have you applied for by the way?)
    Wow, that's a confidence booster, but obviously I won't get my hopes up just in case.

Erm....I think it was Glen Eyre halls I applied for, but the application still stands as "submitted" and I applied months ago .

ReputationRep:
    Ahh im really stressing out over not getting the grades i need!
    My offer is ABB for Eng Lit and French but realistically i think im going to be getting ABC...
    So worried because Souhampton is where i reallllly want to go!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Scout.)
    Ahh im really stressing out over not getting the grades i need!
    My offer is ABB for Eng Lit and French but realistically i think im going to be getting ABC...
    So worried because Souhampton is where i reallllly want to go!!
    I can totally relate. Don't worry about it, what will happen will happen. I wouldn't get your hopes up, but only because that'd triple the pain rejection would bring, and not because it's unlikely you'll get in. Personally, I would say that you have a good chance even with ABC as long as the C wasn't french or english, but even then it's still not impossible.

As for me, AAB is actually near impossible, I'd need a near 100% result in english or art to get an A in either, so ABB would actually make me pretty happy.

I'm suprised english and french has an ABB requirement when english and film is AAB and is considered less academic. Consider yourself lucky!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I think they are far more likely to let you in with lower grades to a humanities subject because in Soton, a predominantly scientific university, they are generally under-subscribed! Don't worry though. What's done is done. And no matter where you'll end up - you could still easily have an amazing university experience!

Let us know how you do :-D

I remember last year having a look at some of the clearing lists. Can you get hold of them? It should say if your course is full or not!
    Although I saw this before results came out so i'm not 100% sure if it was actually the clearing list.. Hmm..

Wow, just realised how unhelpful I am being. Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloop)
    Honestly, I think they are far more likely to let you in with lower grades to a humanities subject because in Soton, a predominantly scientific university, they are generally under-subscribed! Don't worry though. What's done is done. And no matter where you'll end up - you could still easily have an amazing university experience!

Let us know how you do :-D

I remember last year having a look at some of the clearing lists. Can you get hold of them? It should say if your course is full or not!
    Although I saw this before results came out so i'm not 100% sure if it was actually the clearing list.. Hmm..

Wow, just realised how unhelpful I am being. Sorry!
    Just checked; suprisingly my course is not available in UCAS extra at Southampton (while Biomedical Sciences is !?!?), but it is available at Leceister, so hopefully that's a sign I could still get in there even if I ****** up.

Academically speaking, either Uni would be fine but I just prefer Southampton because it's bigger and has a beach nearby :P

ReputationRep:
    ... And cool people like us go there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloop)
    ... And cool people like us go there!
    Great stuff, I hope you all party hard as well. I've already decided that freshers week is going to be one gigantic pub crawl to get to know the city, wherever I go (if I can befriend some willing people).

ReputationRep:
    You picked the wrong halls for that :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloop)
    You picked the wrong halls for that :P
    You're joking right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadge)
    You're joking right
    Yeah, she's kidding. She was in Monte halls - I was in Glen and it was awesome. ^_^

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to do film aswell,I need AAB and totally freaking out :eek3: but apparently if you look on UCAS track the day before they sometimes update your choices the night before results come out, i.e if Soton is your conditional firm (CF) then it will change on track to unconditional firm (UF) if they've accepted your grades. Think I'm going to be glued to the pc on the 19th! Hope to see you there next month!! :woo: xXx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avs1289)
    I've applied to do film aswell,I need AAB and totally freaking out :eek3: but apparently if you look on UCAS track the day before they sometimes update your choices the night before results come out, i.e if Soton is your conditional firm (CF) then it will change on track to unconditional firm (UF) if they've accepted your grades. Think I'm going to be glued to the pc on the 19th! Hope to see you there next month!! :woo: xXx
    Haha, really? Christ...so if I were to miss my offer they could decide whether not to accept me and I wouldn't even have a chance to phone them up about it? I pretty much know that AAB is near impossible for me, ABB's probably my more realistic best hope (and even that's not for certain) so I hope they give me a chance to explain myself...

Good luck to you though, avs, REALLY hope to see you next month too (sigh).

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.