Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tuition Fees for Previous Higher Education Students - £7000? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong forum.

Basically, I am hoping to attend University this year after a year’s worth of working and taking time to grow up and mature. I did an HND previous to this but did not complete it after two years, mainly due to messing around and not really caring, to be honest.

I received an Unconditional offer from a University that I hope to attend but on the letter, it states that, “This year the government has cut university funding for those new students who already have a Higher Education qualification and wish to study for an equal level or lower level qualification. These students registering in 2009/10, will be charged a higher level tuition fee. For full-time study the fee will be £7000...”

I will be forced to pay the first years worth of tuition fees myself, as told by Student Finance but the second and third years will have a loan available. £7000 is an amount that I did not save for, thinking, and always understanding, it was £3k for everybody and not actually having ever seen mention of £7000 anywhere else. I still have not seen any mention of this £7000 tuition fees for previous Higher Education students anywhere online after searching for more information.

I have contacted the university on this matter, and I am awaiting a reply from them. The person that I did speak to stated that it is correct that all universities charge this amount to students who have a previous Higher Education qualification but someone else will contact me soon to discuss it.

I am still waiting for this reply from the University so decided to post on here to see if anybody else had the same problem, or could share any information/input on this with me? I did not complete my HND and therefore did not receive an Higher Education qualification, but did receive a student loan for the tuition fees for that course. I am not sure if this makes any kind of difference.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide, and sorry if this is a question that has been answered before.

ReputationRep:
    sorry i only know about graduate entry to medicine which is similar to you ie the same level as a previous degree. after a quick flick through some of the prospectouses on my desk it seem they are all charging around 3300 so id def contact your uni. Ask them why they are charging more than normal tution fees. That looks like an international fee they have sent you

ReputationRep:
    May vary from uni to uni, but did read somewhere that they charge more for people doing second degrees. However, am not sure that's the case if you didn't complete previous HE.

ReputationRep:
    It's a new system - if you have a previous degree so basically going back into higher education for the second time, you have to pay higher fees. Didn't realise that HNDs qualified though but if as you say you didn't complete it, why are they charging you? What qualifications is you unconditional offer based on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    It's a new system - if you have a previous degree so basically going back into higher education for the second time, you have to pay higher fees. Didn't realise that HNDs qualified though but if as you say you didn't complete it, why are they charging you? What qualifications is you unconditional offer based on?
    Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Yeah, i'm hoping that they won't be charging me the higher rate due to not actually having completed the course, and received the qualification. It states if you HAVE a Higher Education Qualification this is the cost - which I do not. I only attended, but did not complete and qualify/meet the requirements to achieve it.

I got 2 B's at A-level and a D.

What worries me is the fact that this is the first time I've heard or seen anything of this - either through online or offline sources. The University sent me a link to (http://www.hefce.ac.uk) for more information but I couldn't find anything on there either or maybe i'm not looking properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d87)
    Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Yeah, i'm hoping that they won't be charging me the higher rate due to not actually having completed the course, and received the qualification. It states if you HAVE a Higher Education Qualification this is the cost - which I do not. I only attended, but did not complete and qualify/meet the requirements to achieve it.

I got 2 B's at A-level and D.
    Then I'd definitely question it

ReputationRep:
    You won't be charged the ELQ rate since you're clearly not aiming for an equal or lower qualification, so you should pay standard rate fees.

You can find a hierarchy somewhere on the HEFCE website, but tbh even if you had completed the HND it the new Bachelor's degree (which I assume your planning to do) is higher and therefore not elq.

Essentially the hefce subsidise tuition fees to the home rate, and have withdrawn this subsidy for students aiming for a qualification at an equivalent or lower level than they already have. When this is the case the university will often increase fees to claw back some of the subsidy but the amount will vary from university to university and is not set at £7k (that's just this uni's policy).

Hope that helps put you at ease and good luck with the finance!

edit - Oxford's got some fairly good info on the policy http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/studentfun...0910/elq.shtml

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to pass the HND course to be ineligible to receive funding for the first year of your uni course, you just need to have applied and received funding for it.

What exactly do you mean you didn't complete the HND? Is it that you quit the course most of the way through or that you simply did not pass the units?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    You don't need to pass the HND course to be ineligible to receive funding for the first year of your uni course, you just need to have applied and received funding for it.

What exactly do you mean you didn't complete the HND? Is it that you quit the course most of the way through or that you simply did not pass the units?
    Yes but I think the OP's more worried about the HEFCE withdrawing the subsidy and getting charged larger tuition fees rather than the student finance support which is a whole different matter.

I think the rule for student finance in this case you'll get a tuition fee loan for the length of your course + 1 year - previous years of study (which as you say will include the HND study even though its not complete), and a maintenance loan for the whole thing.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for taking the time to reply! You've made me feel so much better and the link that you provided provides a good explanation too! I was really starting to become worried and questioning if University was for me. I simply could not afford £7000 per year.

Thanks again, jk1986 and thank you to everyone else for your replies too!

(Original post by jk1986)
    Yes but I think the OP's more worried about the HEFCE withdrawing the subsidy and getting charged larger tuition fees rather than the student finance support which is a whole different matter.

I think the rule for student finance in this case you'll get a tuition fee loan for the length of your course + 1 year - previous years of study (which as you say will include the HND study even though its not complete), and a maintenance loan for the whole thing.
    Yeah, this is correct.

I dropped out during the second year for a few reasons. Mostly because I wasn't happy with the course and I wasn't learning anything at all but I was also going through a tough time in my life.

ReputationRep:
    No problem, I went through a similar panic a few weeks ago!

Some more official reading to keep you happy:
    http://www.hefce.ac.uk/pubs/circlets/2008/cl07_08/
    download the word document annex A at the bottom of this page - it has fairly detailed rules regarding ELQ, it also links to this page:
    http://www.qaa.ac.uk/academicinfrast...NI/default.asp
    as a guide to which qualifications are higher than others, and the HND comes under intermediate which is lower than honours.

ReputationRep:
    Just seen this myself here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6727699.ece

Was about to post it if nobody else had. It's insane, I hope it isn't true.

Edit: However, on closer inspection ...

"Both parties are studying an overhaul of the system under which top universities would be allowed to lift fees above the current legal limit of £3,225, while many former polytechnics would offer no-frills degrees for free."

Hang on, maybe I've tripped up and got something else here ... it's still somewhat relevant though, just the mention of £7,000 :p: Have entered mine as a separate thread, sorry for the confusion

ReputationRep:
    Haha that would suck but at least they've said by 2013 we should all be done by then right!

ReputationRep:
    Hey d87

If you left the HND for good reasons (health or personal reasons) which you can back up with some evidence (e.g. doctors letter or letter from a uni counsellor) then you can claim you left your most recent course due to "compelling personal reasons" which will get you another year of fee support for your new course

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.