Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For those of you who graduated with a first class degree... Watch

• View Poll Results: If you got a first class degree, how many hours a day did you study?
    0-2 hours
    36.36%
    3-5 hours
    31.82%
    6-8 hours
    15.91%
    9-11 hours
    2.27%
    12 + hours
    13.64%

ReputationRep:
    How many hours a day did you study?

ReputationRep:
    5-7 hours, just depends what works for you though

ReputationRep:
    I did what I had to do, more about making sure that I'd covered the required material inside out, and every bit of assessed coursework wasn't left till the last minute. I didn't actually study a set amount of hours per day or even per week, but when the exams came up I basically worked from 9am to 10pm every day of the week for the month before the exams in order to re-cover every aspect of what we'd be expected to know. That's far more important than setting out a number of hours to work per day.

ReputationRep:
    moar like 2 hours a week amirite

ReputationRep:
    As has already been said, it's not about how many hours you study it's how well you studied.

Asside from exam periods (when I studied as much as I could, but rarely for more than six hours) I didn't really do much other than keep on top of my assignments and go to lectures. I had a lot of extra curriculars so I never had a huge amount of time for studying (not that I advocate prioritising extra curriculars) I probably started studying seriously for exams a fortnight before a lot of my peers did too.

ReputationRep:
    Well done to those of you with firsts ;]

ReputationRep:
    Impossible to say. I was completely chaotic and all of my assessed work was completed in stressful overnighters the day before they were due. I also subsisted on a diet of junk food and no exercise, and I was a bit mentally ill as well (had a breakdown in my second year, unrelated to my studies)

So take heart those of you thinking that to get a first you have to be super-disciplined and completely sorted! I certainly wouldn't recommend my way of doing it but I hope my story shows that it's possible to achieve well academically even if your head is in a state and the rest of your life is falling apart!

ReputationRep:
    You're all filthy liars.

TSR would have you believe that getting a first means you've buried your head in books for over 12 hours a day, shunned any human contact and sacrificed the "uni experience". And TSR's never wrong.

ReputationRep:
    This is the most stupid thread I've seen in a long time :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    This is the most stupid thread I've seen in a long time :facepalm:
    so did you get a 1st? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    It was about 4 hours a day on average. I wouldn't say it was good revision either to be totally honest. Plenty of background distractions!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't really study during the year, but ~4 weeks before my exams I got my head down for the most part of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    You're all filthy liars.

TSR would have you believe that getting a first means you've buried your head in books for over 12 hours a day, shunned any human contact and sacrificed the "uni experience". And TSR's never wrong.
    Lol, don't get me wrong. I spent most of the time playing WoW! Not much of a social life there..

ReputationRep:
    It varies depending on subject.
    I did History, so when I had an essay deadline I needed to do more work. And as others have said, at exam time we all need to step up the work rate.
    I NEVER worked more than 12 hours a day, that would have been insane!

ReputationRep:
    Probably 6-8 hours a day but for my dissertation (field maping project) we had a Christmas deadline at that time I was working for 12-14hrs a day which is no fun at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    so did you get a 1st? :awesome:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    OP make sure you find out what subject and uni they got 1sts from because it makes a difference.

ReputationRep:
    On average I guess a couple of hours a day although this increased a lot nearer exam and dissertation time.

ReputationRep:
    2 hours

ReputationRep:
    Guys - Please only answer if you GRADUATED with a first class degree. I'm not interested in first year results.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.