Turn on thread page Beta

For those of you who graduated with a first class degree... watch

• View Poll Results: If you got a first class degree, how many hours a day did you study?
    0-2 hours
    36.36%
    3-5 hours
    31.82%
    6-8 hours
    15.91%
    9-11 hours
    2.27%
    12 + hours
    13.64%

ReputationRep:
    How many hours a day did you study?

ReputationRep:
    5-7 hours, just depends what works for you though

ReputationRep:
    I did what I had to do, more about making sure that I'd covered the required material inside out, and every bit of assessed coursework wasn't left till the last minute. I didn't actually study a set amount of hours per day or even per week, but when the exams came up I basically worked from 9am to 10pm every day of the week for the month before the exams in order to re-cover every aspect of what we'd be expected to know. That's far more important than setting out a number of hours to work per day.

ReputationRep:
    moar like 2 hours a week amirite

ReputationRep:
    As has already been said, it's not about how many hours you study it's how well you studied.

Asside from exam periods (when I studied as much as I could, but rarely for more than six hours) I didn't really do much other than keep on top of my assignments and go to lectures. I had a lot of extra curriculars so I never had a huge amount of time for studying (not that I advocate prioritising extra curriculars) I probably started studying seriously for exams a fortnight before a lot of my peers did too.

ReputationRep:
    Well done to those of you with firsts ;]

ReputationRep:
    Impossible to say. I was completely chaotic and all of my assessed work was completed in stressful overnighters the day before they were due. I also subsisted on a diet of junk food and no exercise, and I was a bit mentally ill as well (had a breakdown in my second year, unrelated to my studies)

So take heart those of you thinking that to get a first you have to be super-disciplined and completely sorted! I certainly wouldn't recommend my way of doing it but I hope my story shows that it's possible to achieve well academically even if your head is in a state and the rest of your life is falling apart!

ReputationRep:
    You're all filthy liars.

TSR would have you believe that getting a first means you've buried your head in books for over 12 hours a day, shunned any human contact and sacrificed the "uni experience". And TSR's never wrong.

ReputationRep:
    This is the most stupid thread I've seen in a long time :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    This is the most stupid thread I've seen in a long time :facepalm:
    so did you get a 1st? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    It was about 4 hours a day on average. I wouldn't say it was good revision either to be totally honest. Plenty of background distractions!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't really study during the year, but ~4 weeks before my exams I got my head down for the most part of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    You're all filthy liars.

TSR would have you believe that getting a first means you've buried your head in books for over 12 hours a day, shunned any human contact and sacrificed the "uni experience". And TSR's never wrong.
    Lol, don't get me wrong. I spent most of the time playing WoW! Not much of a social life there..

ReputationRep:
    It varies depending on subject.
    I did History, so when I had an essay deadline I needed to do more work. And as others have said, at exam time we all need to step up the work rate.
    I NEVER worked more than 12 hours a day, that would have been insane!

ReputationRep:
    Probably 6-8 hours a day but for my dissertation (field maping project) we had a Christmas deadline at that time I was working for 12-14hrs a day which is no fun at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    so did you get a 1st? :awesome:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    OP make sure you find out what subject and uni they got 1sts from because it makes a difference.

ReputationRep:
    On average I guess a couple of hours a day although this increased a lot nearer exam and dissertation time.

ReputationRep:
    2 hours

ReputationRep:
    Guys - Please only answer if you GRADUATED with a first class degree. I'm not interested in first year results.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.