Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    If anyone has ever been on the tube in HK, you'll realise how pathetic the one in London is!
    It's not pathetic. The first underground railway in London opened in 1863, in contrast with MTR which opened in 1979. Most of the city centre network dates from prior to 1910 - when there were nowhere like the current volume of people using them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandettielightvessel)
    It's not pathetic. The first underground railway in London opened in 1863, in contrast with MTR which opened in 1979. Most of the city centre network dates from prior to 1910 - when there were nowhere like the current volume of people using them.
    I don't think the age of the system is part of the problem - it's just how much cleaner and efficent the whole thing is in HK. There is never any litter anywhere, or graffiti. It has a nicer feel to it - a lot more spacious and you feel safer with the automatic doors as well as the train doors.

ReputationRep:
    its not THAT bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandettielightvessel)
    Exactly what kitten said.. it's just so much more efficient and cleaner.. even down to being able to use your phone on the tube.. England has the capability but we just can't be bothered to pay for it.. why?!

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what kitten said.. it's just so much more efficient and cleaner.. even down to being able to use your phone on the tube.. England has the capability but we just can't be bothered to pay for it.. why?!
    It's being worked on, but it's not instant. They've got to work out how the hell they're going to pay for it, as well as managing how they're going to install everything with everyone using it all the time... It isn't really as simple as a lack of money.

I love the tube when I'm in London, though. Paddington - Brixton with one change takes 20 minutes. Christ knows how long that'd take on the bus.

Still, could be worse. Paris Metro system, whilst it has mobile signal, leaves a hell of a lot to be desired. Like the removal of the French.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Still, could be worse. Paris Metro system, whilst it has mobile signal, leaves a hell of a lot to be desired. Like the removal of the French.
    I've heard terrible things about this. My mum used it and got ********* by the cashier because she didn't understand French. Erm, expect tourists, especially those from the UK!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittennffc)
    I've heard terrible things about this. My mum used it and got ********* by the cashier because she didn't understand French. Erm, expect tourists, especially those from the UK!
    I dunno, it wasn't too bad when I used it. It just used to piss me off when you got buskers who wouldn't let you off at your stop by standing in front of the doors unless you gave them some cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittennffc)
    I don't think the age of the system is part of the problem - it's just how much cleaner and efficent the whole thing is in HK. There is never any litter anywhere, or graffiti. It has a nicer feel to it - a lot more spacious and you feel safer with the automatic doors as well as the train doors.

Of course it's the age of the system, just compare the Jubilee Line extension to the rest of the system. The London Underground is the oldest deep level underground railway in the world, most of it was built before the Titanic sunk, there was some inter-war expansion but there has been virtually nothing since WWII.

Oddly enough the very oldest of Tube Lines could have AC installed on the trains pretty easily, as when originally built they had steam trains running on the tracks so there are vents in the tunnels which would be just as good for getting rid of air from heat exchangers as they were for getting rid of steam. Oddly enough they are of the same sort of 'cut and cover' construction as the NY Metro which was largely carried out just prior to WWII IIRC.

Basically the London Underground is dirty, hot and crowded when compared to newer underground railways because generally its at least forty years older than any of them, or over a hundred for most.

As an aside I think that The London Underground beats the NY Metro hands down, certainly for someone unused to the system. If you find yourself on the wrong platform on The Tube, it's relatively easy to change platforms, on the NY Metro you've generally got to go through several barriers and go back onto street level, as often it seems as though the actual entrance you use determines the platform(s) you can get onto... Oh and they have all these A & B train nonsense, pain in the arse that...

Oh and yes, the Paris Metro also sucks, can't really comment on SE Asia as the only city I've visited in Asia in the last twenty years was KL with its toy monorail. Nice empty new airport though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nk9230)
    Trains in London don't have A/C? That is ridiculous. In Manhattan (NYC) the only thing that isnt air conditioner are the stations underground, except for major stations such as grand central and times square... but most of the cars have A/C.
    They have vents. So you can be cool and listen to all the rackety clanging!

Seriously though, I love the tube. The smell, the ease, the reliability. Everything.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, but it gets you from A to B....most times.

ReputationRep:
    After travelling on the tube I used to use face wipes and they'd be black/grey. I'd often get spots a lot when I travelled on it for college, but tbh, the tube is a really useful thing!

Sure, it needs modernisation, air con, a more frequent service etc etc but it's still a great invention that MILLIONS of people would be at a loss without.

Having said that, I'm repping the London Overground at the moment

ReputationRep:
    If they put up fares so they could do things like install mobile phone access, people would complain. If they kept them at the same level and didn't introduce it, people would complain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by General Ourumov)
    Tough ****. You pay for what you get
    No need to get offended. Who are you - Mr. Tube?

Many of the problems are because of the Underground's age. If they were building it now, it would be much more sophisticated.

Passengers don't want to spend any unnecessary time on the Tube. People say they love the Tube, but whenever I'm there everybody seems to act as if they can't get out of there fast enough

ReputationRep:
    Compared to where I live where public transport is almost non existent it as wonderful.

ReputationRep:
    i love the tube, plus it's quick

ReputationRep:
    I was on the tube yesterday, piccadilly line was jam packed and I saw one woman who was being pressed hard against the doors it was that packed, it was like when a child rubs their face in a window to make a face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    As an aside I think that The London Underground beats the NY Metro hands down, certainly for someone unused to the system. If you find yourself on the wrong platform on The Tube, it's relatively easy to change platforms, on the NY Metro you've generally got to go through several barriers and go back onto street level, as often it seems as though the actual entrance you use determines the platform(s) you can get onto... Oh and they have all these A & B train nonsense, pain in the arse that...
    While I haven't been on the London Metro, I will agree that the NYC Metro is fairly complex- you just can not change platforms anywhere, what side of the street determines uptown/downtown.

What I was going to ask, why isn't the London Metro 24hrs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nk9230)
    What I was going to ask, why isn't the London Metro 24hrs?
    The system is old, they need to stop it at night and make any necessary repairs.

ReputationRep:
    I love the tube. I'm not sure why, but I have a kind of fascination with it. Like someone else says, it's like an adventure down there.

If I had to use it every day, I'd probably think differently.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously though, whats with all that warm wind down on the Underground? Its like getting caught in a giant sooty gust every five minutes. Do they have that on every Underground system - Hong Kong, New York?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.