Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The Parisian metro is also much nicer, although I can't stand the smell of piss that some of the stations have.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait until a/c is introduced, some lines will get it next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigoblue)
    Seriously though, whats with all that warm wind down on the Underground? Its like getting caught in a giant sooty gust every five minutes. Do they have that on every Underground system - Hong Kong, New York?
    In New York it depends what Station. Major stations and thorough fares like Times Square and Grand Central Station are air conditioned. Smaller platforms are not, and yes, there is a warm wind down there lol.:p:

The subways in New York are more unpleasant when it is raining however.

ReputationRep:
    The only time I've ever been to London, I felt a burning desire to get on the tube, and I actually quite enjoyed it I was sat next to this group of extremely posh goths; one leaned over to his friend and said "So I heard you bought a pair of trousers recently, and they didn't fit?" With a completely straight face.

ReputationRep:
    It's filthy in places, crime-ridden in places, unreliable and worst of all, it's terribly expensive. There's something I've always liked about underground trains though, it is pretty fascinating really that you have another world deep under London.

ReputationRep:
    I love using the tube whenever I'm in London, I love the whole atmosphere of being underground

I also love judging people I don't know while on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Zeuss™)
    i love the tube. creepy men touching you when its packed, staring at the person across from you smiling and making them feel uncomfortable, reading the persons book beside you, pretending youre asleep so you dont have to give up your seat when an old lady comes on (my friend says he does this), standing on the tube (i usually stand as i find it more comfortable :indiff:), everybody sitting nervously when a couple of drunken neds come on. oh the memories
    hahah!

ReputationRep:
    i love the london tube!
    i feel like such a tourist whenever im down there.

ReputationRep:
    No need to get offended. Who are you - Mr. Tube?

Many of the problems are because of the Underground's age. If they were building it now, it would be much more sophisticated.

Passengers don't want to spend any unnecessary time on the Tube. People say they love the Tube, but whenever I'm there everybody seems to act as if they can't get out of there fast enough
    Offended no Annoyed that people complain yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    Of course it's the age of the system, just compare the Jubilee Line extension to the rest of the system. The London Underground is the oldest deep level underground railway in the world, most of it was built before the Titanic sunk, there was some inter-war expansion but there has been virtually nothing since WWII.
    You're missing my point entirely. I don't live in London, and have been on the Tube, about 4 times in my entire life.

I don't know anything about the air con, or how late the trains are, or anything like that. I was making the point that graffiti, and the atmosphere of the Tube make it not a very nice thing to have to use on a regular basis, whereas the MTR in HK is efficient, clean, and easy to use despite not understanding Cantonese. The age of the system is irrelevant to the point I was trying to make.

When I have used the Tube, it was fine, it wasn't particularly enjoyable but it did the job. Whereas, when I used to MTR in HK, it was great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittennffc)
    You're missing my point entirely. I don't live in London, and have been on the Tube, about 4 times in my entire life.

I don't know anything about the air con, or how late the trains are, or anything like that. I was making the point that graffiti, and the atmosphere of the Tube make it not a very nice thing to have to use on a regular basis, whereas the MTR in HK is efficient, clean, and easy to use despite not understanding Cantonese. The age of the system is irrelevant to the point I was trying to make.

When I have used the Tube, it was fine, it wasn't particularly enjoyable but it did the job. Whereas, when I used to MTR in HK, it was great.

The age of the system is still directly related to that, or to be more precise the age of the particular line and rolling stock that you used. Oh and of course the sheer size of the system, The London Underground is by far the largest deep level underground railway system in the world. I think that the NY Metro might have more track, but then most of it is above ground and the bits that are actually underground are in 'cut and cover' tunnels, not deep level tunnels as is the case with pretty much every line except the circle and Metropolitan (and related, Hammersmith and City for example) Lines on the Underground.

Anyway, back to my point....

In 1910, etc... it was very expensive to bore large tunnels. For starters this is why the deep level trains are much smaller than full sized trains, but it also means that the pedestrian areas are much more crowded than those created in more recent years. As I said, compare the 'new' (well just under ten years old) Jubilee Line Extension to pretty much any underground railway anywhere else and it will most likely come out very favourably. It even has platform edge glass barriers with glass doors that open in front of the train doors, so no more of that 'ooh will I fall' fear on a crowded platform, and of course because the tunnels were built with modern concrete section techniques, rather than cast iron sections, they are that much easier to keep clear of the dust that otherwise pervades the London Underground. Not completely free of it I must admit, but it does seem to be a much 'cleaner' line.

Hmm, long paragraphs, never a good sign.... As to Graffiti, its been a long time since I've noticed anything more than pen scribbles on the windows, but then what do you expect? You get idiots like that the world over, I'm just waiting for Banksy to start scribbling on the Tube...

ReputationRep:
    Seriously though, whats with all that warm wind down on the Underground? Its like getting caught in a giant sooty gust every five minutes. Do they have that on every Underground system - Hong Kong, New York?
    nope, the underground here has uber cold air conditioner, is scarily spotless, and there isn't a speck of dust to be found ANYWHERE. gets a bit annoying sometimes but at least it isn't hot.

then again, it was built less than a decade ago while the london one is... apparently ancient??

ReputationRep:
    The Hong Kong MTR is lovely - when I was there I used to actively try to use it at least twice a day just to cool off! The Tube is hot and dirty, but it gets you from A to B and means that you don't have to fathom bus routes.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHu_cfy33bY

ReputationRep:
    The trains are never late. At least when i'm down there they arent.

I always have to step back when a train enters the platform though. It's sooo tempting to just jump infront of it (no emo). Gets my adrenaline pumpin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Wigan)
    The trains are never late. At least when i'm down there they arent.
    IIRC the service is so frequent it's hard to tell if they're late :P, but yeah, I agree with you on a normal day it's a relatively reliable service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    The age of the system is still directly related to that, or to be more precise the age of the particular line and rolling stock that you used. Oh and of course the sheer size of the system, The London Underground is by far the largest deep level underground railway system in the world. I think that the NY Metro might have more track, but then most of it is above ground and the bits that are actually underground are in 'cut and cover' tunnels, not deep level tunnels as is the case with pretty much every line except the circle and Metropolitan (and related, Hammersmith and City for example) Lines on the Underground.
    No it isn't! How can I make my point any clearer?! I don't care how old the system is - it has nothing to do with my preference for the MTR over the Tube. The Tube is fine, I've never said a bad word about the thing - I've used it about 4 times in my entire life and it did the job fine! I didn't have to wait for more than 5 minutes, and the journey was OK. I just prefer the MTR to the Tube because it feels a lot safer, and the whole operation runs more efficiently, not just the trains themselves. Also, I have no idea why you mention the New York Metro when I'm talking about the MTR in Hong Kong. I know the Tube is old, but that doesn't mean anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittennffc)
    No it isn't! How can I make my point any clearer?! I don't care how old the system is - it has nothing to do with my preference for the MTR over the Tube. The Tube is fine, I've never said a bad word about the thing - I've used it about 4 times in my entire life and it did the job fine! I didn't have to wait for more than 5 minutes, and the journey was OK. I just prefer the MTR to the Tube because it feels a lot safer, and the whole operation runs more efficiently, not just the trains themselves. Also, I have no idea why you mention the New York Metro when I'm talking about the MTR in Hong Kong. I know the Tube is old, but that doesn't mean anything.

I was just trying to point out that the Tube, at least most parts of the Tube, are a bit grubby and dusty, cramped, etc... because they were built almost 100 years ago, or just before WWII. Underground railway design has moved on a lot since then, making keeping things clean and tidy, not to mention air conditioned or at least ensuring a decent circulation of fresh air that much easier.

The same is also true of Britain's railway system when compared to say for instance France or Japan, both countries with very good high speed rail services. Prior to the Channel Tunnel rail link, the last new piece of mainline railway track was laid in Britain in the 1860's, when the top speed of most trains was little more than 70-80mph at best, and even then lines like the West Coast mainline were built as cheaply as possible, with lots of corners, etc... Which really aren't that great for high speed rail. Conversely the French TGV rail system was basically built from scratch from IIRC the 1960's, and if there was a hill in the way then they dug it up, built a tunnel and carried on in a straight line. I imagine the same is true of the Japanese high speed railway system.

Anyway got off point a bit there, basically the age of the London Underground system is (one of the reasons) why its cramped, hot, a bit grubby and when you blow your nose after using it the snot is black. The sheer volume of people moved about on it also contributes as well of course, even at say 2pm it can sometimes be hard to get a seat in the central sections of most lines. During the morning and afternoon rush hours, you can pretty much forget it....

ReputationRep:
    I live 20 miles out of aberdeen in scotland and I love the underground!

Its very cheap compared to transport up here and i could use the tube all day for the same price as i could get to aberdeen and back once here! Its always really excting to use and ive never noticed the trains being late or anything(ive waited an hour for a bus to aberdeen once)!

ReputationRep:
    I agree, I generally take the bus unless I pass certain places (Oxford street for example, is utterly pointless on a bus). We should be greatful though, London transport is pretty good compared to a lot of cities (and damn good value)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.