Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am confused as to bidet ettiquette.

When using a bidet, is there a special bidet sponge and bidet towel? Or are any fair game which are then washed/thrown, or is there special bidet paper?

When using a bidet as a guest in someones house, should you use their bidet towel/sponge (assuming they exist) or would it be more proper to bring your own?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it is pretty common in Portugal and I'm actually missing it a lot here in England. Yes there are special bidet towels, never heard of a special sponge though.

If I was going to somebody's house I would probably bring my own towel or just use regular toilet paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PauloG.)
    Yeah, it is pretty common in Portugal and I'm actually missing it a lot here in England. Yes there are special bidet towels, never heard of a special sponge though.

If I was going to somebody's house I would probably bring my own towel or just use regular toilet paper.
    Bidets have always confused me - is it just like splashing water up your bum? Sorry if this sounds stupid, I haven't got a clue.

ReputationRep:
    First time I used one, I scolded my ass.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that all is squeaky clean before using the towel?

(Original post by Terryw)
    First time I used one, I scolded my ass.
    Hahaha. I presume you mean scald, but I think I prefer it as it is.

ReputationRep:
    mmmmm cleaning the old bum bum

ReputationRep:
    My gran had one in her old house. I thought it was a sink for little people.

ReputationRep:
    There aren't any towels for the ones in Arabic countries... wouldn't that be really unhygienic? o.O Can usually get toilet paper, though.

I've only ever used bidets to wash my feet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by croissantfever)
    I am confused as to bidet ettiquette.

When using a bidet, is there a special bidet sponge and bidet towel? Or are any fair game which are then washed/thrown, or is there special bidet paper?

When using a bidet as a guest in someones house, should you use their bidet towel/sponge (assuming they exist) or would it be more proper to bring your own?
    I've never heard of a bidet sponge or towel! We just use normal toilet paper after...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i have one and actually all my italian relatives have one. i only really use it to wash my feet. they use it how its meant to be used. but i'm a bit reluctant lol.

ReputationRep:
    The thought of these things frighten me.
    Especially using a bidet towell in someone elses house.
    I think Id prefer to stick with wet wipes.

ReputationRep:
    There was one at the house I stayed at in France.

I didn't use it. Not that I would know how to even if I wanted to, haha.

ReputationRep:
    I used one once when I was really thirsty. I'd definitely recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    surely you'll just have lots of diluted faeces running all over you and down your legs. eww. it'll be like wiping your ass after a splashback!

not for me thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I just used one I had on holiday to wash my feet, so I really wouldn't know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmeenax)
    There aren't any towels for the ones in Arabic countries... wouldn't that be really unhygienic? o.O Can usually get toilet paper, though.
    Not if you wash it every single time.

The question is how much toilet paper you waste without a bidet?

ReputationRep:
    I only ever used it to wash my feet

ReputationRep:
    I'll stick with these thanks

just kidding :P:, yup I've used them before and I just dry using some tissue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    Bidets have always confused me - is it just like splashing water up your bum? Sorry if this sounds stupid, I haven't got a clue.
    The splash water on your bum, not up - that would be unpleasant. Other than that, they have two purposes:

a) for girls to wash down there once in a while (apparently it works better than shower-heads)
    b) prank ignorant friends into washing their teeth in the place where you wash your bum (never done this, my sister on the other hand...)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.