Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

anyone got experience with psychiatric medications? Watch

basically I stopped an antidepressant and was trying to gradually take myself off an antipsychotic but now my symptoms are a lot worse, so I upped the dose of antipsychotic to what it was before but it's having no effect; my paranoia and voices are really bad.

I can't see my psychiatrist for another month at least, can't do emergency appointment either, so I'm not sure what I should do. I can either just keep taking AP and hope stuff settles down, or start taking the AD again and see if that helps but get all the starting side effects of it. Any help please either someone who's been in a similar situation or else someone who might have experience somehow?

ReputationRep:
    Keep taking it - my brother takes similar (maybe same) meds and it usually takes him a week or so to feel the effects. He has always had side effects with all of these related meds, though - has changed them in many ways over the years. Some of them tend to make him sleep for hourrrss. However, he has recently been put on one that is supposed to have reduced side effects (sorry, don't know the names...) although I'm not sure that's been so good either. Though, when he stops taking them, he has horrendous psychotic phases.
    It's win/lose, I suppose
    ANyways, I'd say keep taking them and eventually get round to see your psychiatrist (maybe phone them if that's possible?) because if you're anything like my brother, you'll be better off that way.

(Original post by Yasmeenax)
    Keep taking it - my brother takes similar (maybe same) meds and it usually takes him a week or so to feel the effects. He has always had side effects with all of these related meds, though - has changed them in many ways over the years. Some of them tend to make him sleep for hourrrss. However, he has recently been put on one that is supposed to have reduced side effects (sorry, don't know the names...) although I'm not sure that's been so good either. Though, when he stops taking them, he has horrendous psychotic phases.
    It's win/lose, I suppose
    ANyways, I'd say keep taking them and eventually get round to see your psychiatrist (maybe phone them if that's possible?) because if you're anything like my brother, you'll be better off that way.
    Thanks for the reply, by keep taking them I'm guessing you mean the antipsychotics right? I was going to keep taking them, I was wondering whether to restart taking the antidepressants, I don't suppose you'd know if that would help though?

I did get in touch with my psychiatrist who said it's not possible to advise on medication without seeing me, which is impossible right now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a medical expert, but from person experience I would recommend that you don't start taking the antidepressants again if you have been off them for more than a few days. I'm not sure what you're taking the antipsychotics for, but if it's bipolar then stop/starting the antidepressants could have bad effects.

That said, you know what's best for you. And obviously, see your doctor asap!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    basically I stopped an antidepressant and was trying to gradually take myself off an antipsychotic but now my symptoms are a lot worse, so I upped the dose of antipsychotic to what it was before but it's having no effect; my paranoia and voices are really bad.

I can't see my psychiatrist for another month at least, can't do emergency appointment either, so I'm not sure what I should do. I can either just keep taking AP and hope stuff settles down, or start taking the AD again and see if that helps but get all the starting side effects of it. Any help please either someone who's been in a similar situation or else someone who might have experience somehow?
    I take it you're one of these people I've read in psych journals that have to take medication all their life possibly. I'm sorry to say that, but I'm sure it's better then the mental illness... I would advise to say on the same doseage for now.

(Original post by carrotcake)
    I'm not a medical expert, but from person experience I would recommend that you don't start taking the antidepressants again if you have been off them for more than a few days. I'm not sure what you're taking the antipsychotics for, but if it's bipolar then stop/starting the antidepressants could have bad effects.

That said, you know what's best for you. And obviously, see your doctor asap!
    Hi thanks for the reply. I've been off them 2 weeks, you said from personal experience don't start taking the antidepressants again, can I ask what happens if you do? I'll understand if you don't want to talk about it. Just I've been feeling really low as well as my "psychotic" symptoms getting worse, I thought maybe it was related to stopping the antidepressant.

It's not for bipolar, it's for depression and psychosis.

(Original post by emmie19)
    I take it you're one of these people I've read in psych journals that have to take medication all their life possibly. I'm sorry to say that, but I'm sure it's better then the mental illness... I would advise to say on the same doseage for now.
    No idea about that tbh, I hope to god not though, I really don't think I could stand taking these all my life.

ReputationRep:
    Ring your doctor or shrink and ask them.

(Original post by Antimatter)
    Ring your doctor or shrink and ask them.
    Tried that, she said she can't recommend anything regarding medication without seeing me. Which I thought was pretty stupid.

ReputationRep:
    No idea about that tbh, I hope to god not though, I really don't think I could stand taking these all my life.
    Better then the effects of not taking them I'm sure

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks for the reply. I've been off them 2 weeks, you said from personal experience don't start taking the antidepressants again, can I ask what happens if you do? I'll understand if you don't want to talk about it. Just I've been feeling really low as well as my "psychotic" symptoms getting worse, I thought maybe it was related to stopping the antidepressant.

It's not for bipolar, it's for depression and psychosis.

Well, often people take mood stabilisers and antidepressants for Bipolar II, and if you aren't consistent with the antidepressants then taking them irregularly can trigger manic episodes. But if you aren't being treated for that then I am sorry but I don't really want to recommend something because everyone responds differently.

Could you maybe try ringing your doctor and saying that it's an emergency. Though you said in your original post that that wasn't possible.

Instead of thinking 'long-term', maybe just take things as they come. You say your paranoia and voices are getting worse- bad enough to warrant a visit to the hospital? They could probably refer you to someone who could give you proper advice. I don't have experience with voices I am afraid but if it's got to a point whereby you know it is dangerous (you know better than anyone about your own mind) then that may be a way forward?

I hope you can sort this out!! I hate how there isn't enough help at hand for people who wish to find non-medication ways of dealing with things.

ReputationRep:
    There is the possibility that the combination of AD and AP was keeping you stable. I know this is the case with mine, as when I had the AP alone, I was a lot worse off than with the AD. I'd say to start the AD again, but at about a half-dose, and work back up slowly if it's possible (say a week at half-dose, then back to full) until you see your psych again.

By the way, I'm probably one of the people who has to be on pills for the rest of their life.

(Original post by elfen)
    There is the possibility that the combination of AD and AP was keeping you stable. I know this is the case with mine, as when I had the AP alone, I was a lot worse off than with the AD. I'd say to start the AD again, but at about a half-dose, and work back up slowly if it's possible (say a week at half-dose, then back to full) until you see your psych again.

By the way, I'm probably one of the people who has to be on pills for the rest of their life.
    I think I might try that, I mean it can't hurt to try seeing as how **** I've been feeling lately.

I don't have enough APs to put that up plus I'm near the top dose so I don't think that's a good idea, but I've been on the ADs before so it should be cool. Ok awesome. thanks!

(Original post by carrotcake)
    Well, often people take mood stabilisers and antidepressants for Bipolar II, and if you aren't consistent with the antidepressants then taking them irregularly can trigger manic episodes. But if you aren't being treated for that then I am sorry but I don't really want to recommend something because everyone responds differently.

Could you maybe try ringing your doctor and saying that it's an emergency. Though you said in your original post that that wasn't possible.

Instead of thinking 'long-term', maybe just take things as they come. You say your paranoia and voices are getting worse- bad enough to warrant a visit to the hospital? They could probably refer you to someone who could give you proper advice. I don't have experience with voices I am afraid but if it's got to a point whereby you know it is dangerous (you know better than anyone about your own mind) then that may be a way forward?

I hope you can sort this out!! I hate how there isn't enough help at hand for people who wish to find non-medication ways of dealing with things.
    Thanks for the explanation.

I know hospital is there as a back up just I'd really really not like it to get to that stage.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Can you either see your GP or give you psychiatrist a ring to get advice?
    When you are changing doses of psychotropic medication you should be monitored for withdrawal affects/recurring symptoms etc.
    If not then in my opinion you should continue with what you're taking now, and if you get worse, try and see someone quickly. It would be a good idea to talk to someone around you as well, so they can look out for symptoms you might not recognise.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.