Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do buyers know where to source stock from? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So yeah, does anyone know how buyers who work for shops find out where to buy their stock from?

x

ReputationRep:
    Trade magazines, established connections, the internet, trade fairs?

What a random question.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, my friends and i were walking through town and saw the exact same things in different shops (with their own tags on) so i guess they must by stuff from the same place and add on their own tags after?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ***harri***)
    Yeah, my friends and i were walking through town and saw the exact same things in different shops (with their own tags on) so i guess they must by stuff from the same place and add on their own tags after?
    Yes. The practice is called "white labelling".

ReputationRep:
    How do suppliers know where to sell to?

ReputationRep:
    Oooh cool thanks, before i actually thought about it i just assumed that they designed them theirselves..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronaldo91)
    How do suppliers know where to sell to?
    Generally when they first start out, they'll survey the region they wish to sell to and mailshot/email/contact in whatever way all the businesses in that region that they'd want to sell at. Trade fairs are good for this too, as the supplier can meet businesses it wasn't aware of before and establish links with them.

Once the supplier has been around for a few years, it probably will have an established collection of clients and at this stage, it doesn't really need to market that aggressively, as it'll gain new clients via word of mouth and simply from being an established company. Of course some marketing will be needed but not nearly as much as during the early years of it's existance.

God it feels like I'm doing A Level Business Studies again.

ReputationRep:
    I mostly go to trade fairs, and get the suppliers from there. Sometimes other retail people do some wholesale, so we get a select few lines from them. A few are traveling salespeople, but the majority come from places like The Autumn Fair at the NEC or Pure London, Google them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antimatter)
    I mostly go to trade fairs, and get the suppliers from there. Sometimes other retail people do some wholesale, so we get a select few lines from them. A few are traveling salespeople, but the majority come from places like The Autumn Fair at the NEC or Pure London, Google them
    Is the NEC one the clotheshow live?

Cool, do you own a company? Or are you a buyer? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Generally when they first start out, they'll survey the region they wish to sell to and mailshot/email/contact in whatever way all the businesses in that region that they'd want to sell at. Trade fairs are good for this too, as the supplier can meet businesses it wasn't aware of before and establish links with them.

Once the supplier has been around for a few years, it probably will have an established collection of clients and at this stage, it doesn't really need to market that aggressively, as it'll gain new clients via word of mouth and simply from being an established company. Of course some marketing will be needed but not nearly as much as during the early years of it's existance.

God it feels like I'm doing A Level Business Studies again.
    LMAO I applaud your effort.

I was asking that question like yoda style so the OP could figure out that there obvs must be a market and meeting place lol

I should be clearer and use emoticons next time lol haha you cracked me up

ReputationRep:
    OP, if you need wholesale legit clothing, I can hook you up with some sources, if you want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronaldo91)
    LMAO I applaud your effort.

I was asking that question like yoda style so the OP could figure out that there obvs must be a market and meeting place lol

I should be clearer and use emoticons next time lol haha you cracked me up
    Alright love, its not that funny..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.