Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I was thinking of applying to St Andrews for economics.
    I have some questions:

-I am going to apply for Bsc Economics. However I would like to work in business one day.
    Would I be able to take modules from the School of Management anyway or not?
    I'm not to keen on doing a joint honours.

-However, if I change my mind, will I be able to switch to Economics & Management?

- I go to European school, and I don't understand how the University works: why should I be choosing for 3 or 4 years?
    On the website they say that on the first year we do many subjects. To what extent is this true?

-Also, how would you describe the atmosphere there? Some pictures make me go "wow!", some make me go "ouch."
    I know I can only judge after going to an Open day (that I will do when I can), but thoughts?

Thank you
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by robbiee)
    Hi everyone!

I was thinking of applying to St Andrews for economics.
    I have some questions:

-I am going to apply for Bsc Economics. However I would like to work in business one day.
    Would I be able to take modules from the School of Management anyway or not?
    I'm not to keen on doing a joint honours.

-However, if I change my mind, will I be able to switch to Economics & Management?

- I go to European school, and I don't understand how the University works: why should I be choosing for 3 or 4 years?
    On the website they say that on the first year we do many subjects. To what extent is this true?

-Also, how would you describe the atmosphere there? Some pictures make me go "wow!", some make me go "ouch."
    I know I can only judge after going to an Open day (that I will do when I can), but thoughts?

Thank you
    Yes, Yes, Economics is only available as a 4 year degree and you can take a variety of subjects in first and second years - this is discussed in both the FAQ and Ask A Current Student, and I don't know what exactly you're asking about the 'atmosphere', but again life as a student at St Andrews has been discussed in numerous threads. One of our ex-freshers might be able to give you a better answer, I'm getting old and cranky :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I saw the topic but it's more than 200 pages, and tried the search function, but didn't really find anything :/

So I'd like more insight on the Uni
    Thank you for your reply

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for StA's but why are you not too keen on doing Economics and Management from the start if your real interests lie in business?

I'm pretty sure with other E&M courses such as Oxford and Bristol you can pretty much choose the split between economics and management that you want - it doesn't have to be 50/50, you could well do mostly economics with a few management modules, so something more like 70/30 with more econ.

If you're worried about your other choices (as only a handful of unis do E&M) and how this will work out when it comes to writing your personal statement, you may find this article useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EconAtUni)
    I can't speak for StA's but why are you not too keen on doing Economics and Management from the start if your real interests lie in business?

I'm pretty sure with other E&M courses such as Oxford and Bristol you can pretty much choose the split between economics and management that you want - it doesn't have to be 50/50, you could well do mostly economics with a few management modules, so something more like 70/30 with more econ.

If you're worried about your other choices (as only a handful of unis do E&M) and how this will work out when it comes to writing your personal statement, you may find this article useful.
    That is VERY useful, thank you

In fact, that is my problem.

But all the unis I want to apply to mainly do straight economics.

The only one I'd like to apply that does it is St A.
    I'm really not keen on Bristol, and I don't really have the grades for Oxford. I wanted to apply, but I decided not to, it is too risky.
    And even if apparently they like European School students, i only have the average of 8.2/10, and they require 8.5. And there are many more deserving students than me

my other unis are: UCL, Warwick, LSE and to go for a safer choice Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    FAQ's
    I suggest you have a look through that thread and see if it resolves any of your more basic/general queries.

It is also worth reading the relevant pages in the prospectus.

OP, if you have any more specific questions after that, we might be more patient I'm afraid I completely sympathise with the general weariness of other older students in this subforum - the same questions keep on being asked, no matter how many times we answer them. The main problem is that the search function is pants. Unchanged, smelly, y-front, old-man, grey-with-brown-stains PANTS. :yes:

I suggest we get all current students to keep their eyes open for posts containing information about 'what the town is like to live in', and we can ask Steeeeevo nicely to link them in the FAQ thread. If there are any other similar topics that are frequently asked about, then we could do the same for those. *runs to FAQ thread to start working on this*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    FAQ's
    I suggest you have a look through that thread and see if it resolves any of your more basic/general queries.

It is also worth reading the relevant pages in the prospectus.

OP, if you have any more specific questions after that, we might be more patient I'm afraid I completely sympathise with the general weariness of other older students in this subforum - the same questions keep on being asked, no matter how many times we answer them. The main problem is that the search function is pants. Unchanged, smelly, y-front, old-man, grey-with-brown-stains PANTS. :yes:

I suggest we get all current students to keep their eyes open for posts containing information about 'what the town is like to live in', and we can ask Steeeeevo nicely to link them in the FAQ thread. If there are any other similar topics that are frequently asked about, then we could do the same for those. *runs to FAQ thread to start working on this*
    Ahah, yes true, the search function isn't quite the best thing

and yes, it must be annoying to have always the same questions, I'm really sorry, but as said I tried to find something but didn't find what I was looking for!
    I will watch better

Thank you anyway, that is really nice of you ^^

ReputationRep:
    Righty, I have hit/slapped/kicked the search function and posted some interesting stuff on the end of this page, trying to give a brief suggestion of what each link is about. You might have to dig through it to find opinions and comments that fit your exact queries, but I'm hoping it's more efficient than using search :rolleyes:

You've also got quite a few of my own opinions listed there :o: Shout if there's anything you want more detail on.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I saw already

I've already found some pretty nice information.

Thank you so much again

ReputationRep:
    No problem I will shout if I find any other new links for that page :cool:

ReputationRep:
    great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbiee)
    That is VERY useful, thank you

In fact, that is my problem.

But all the unis I want to apply to mainly do straight economics.

The only one I'd like to apply that does it is St A.
    I'm really not keen on Bristol, and I don't really have the grades for Oxford. I wanted to apply, but I decided not to, it is too risky.
    And even if apparently they like European School students, i only have the average of 8.2/10, and they require 8.5. And there are many more deserving students than me

my other unis are: UCL, Warwick, LSE and to go for a safer choice Edinburgh.
    Of those, UCL only offer straight economics, not sure about Edinburgh.
    Warwick offer Economics and Industrial Organization which is a bit like 'Business Economics' and LSE's Management course can be tailored to have a fair bit of economics in it though you'll be graduating with a BSc Management degree as opposed to BSc Economics in that case.

Good luck choosing!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 27, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.