Turn on thread page Beta

Are A Level grades important for magic circle firms? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I have uncondtional from Nottingham university to do law but I only got BBB in my A level. Do u think that I don't have any chance to go to magic circle (or silver circle) firms due to my poor A levels? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, A-level matters I am afraid, at least at the application stage. A-level results act as an application filter. This is simply because people attend different unis and different unis' assessment standards are different, so A-level-being the standardised exam (Normal route) prior to Uni, allows potential employers to assess its candidates. (Correct me, If I'm Wrong)

Out of curiosity, how did you get an unconditional offer from Notts with BBB? you must be damn brilliant to get that....

ReputationRep:
    i hate people so much that say thay got poor a-levels when they have high ones. that is very pig headed of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh snap!)
    i hate people so much that say thay got poor a-levels when they have high ones. that is very pig headed of them
    They aren't bad in general, but well, for law firm standards they are. They do usually expect AAB or higher.

As for whether you can get in, roughy-ruff's right. They do use A-levels as a filter but if you have mitigating circumstances and the rest of your application is ace, you might still have a chance.

I'm assuming there are some as you have an unconditional from Notts University?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the big London law firms will accept BBB, but as far as I know, for magic circle firms, you need AAB. As far as I'm aware, they do usually act an as application filter - if you confirm that you got at least AAB at A level, you'll be able to proceed to the application page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superman413)
    Hi guys, I have uncondtional from Nottingham university to do law but I only got BBB in my A level. Do u think that I don't have any chance to go to magic circle (or silver circle) firms due to my poor A levels? :cool:
    how the hell did you get an unconditional BBB offer from Nottigham. How long ago was this? Did you have mitigating circumstances

ReputationRep:
    Every time I see one of these threads I think the OP is talking about wanting to do magic ... :facepalm2: before I realise they are talking about the Law firms.

ReputationRep:
    BBB is accepted at quite a few City law firms, I'm afraid magic circle firms would be out. BBB is generally the minimum City law firms specify.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    Every time I see one of these threads I think the OP is talking about wanting to do magic ... :facepalm2: before I realise they are talking about the Law firms.
    Same
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by counterproductive)
    On that note, how important are 1st year grades in applying for a vac scheme? Can someone with a high 2:2 in 1st year but good A-level/IB grades get a vac scheme?
    You generally have to be on target for an overall 2:1; it's not impossible to get vac schemes with a 2:2, especially if your reference states that he/she expects you to do better next year - but the summer placements are competitive and having the 2:1 already would put you in a better position.

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't really know much about this subject but if it did matter a lot couldn't you just go back an redo A-levels part time after you had finished your degree. That is if A-level grades really do matter that much.

ReputationRep:
    Don't the true 'magic circle' firms only take Oxbridge/LSE grads (that is straight out of uni, not after a few years of experience)???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    Don't the true 'magic circle' firms only take Oxbridge/LSE grads (that is straight out of uni, not after a few years of experience)???
    Yes I was thinking that, I know certainly they are very biased towards oxbridge graduates. Also generally all the others are a red-brick university or are in the russel group. Mostly with AAA at A-level and Firsts or 2:1's so your chances are hindered slightly with the A-level results howevr Nottingham is a very good university to be at and so in that department your chances are good , just make sure you get a good level of degree then you have a slight chance I would say. Just my opinion mind.

ReputationRep:
    Say if I got AAA will they care about the AS results?

ReputationRep:
    A Levels are not as big a deal as you all think. Law firms are not going to turn away an exceptional candidate on the basis of how they did in a box-ticking exercise when they were 17. Yes, they are important if you are an average applicant, but they lose value quickly if you have other things that will make you stand out. They can act as a filter for the weaker applicants. A good way around this is to approach HR before actually applying and explain why your A Levels aren't relevant anymore (this only works if you can prove they aren't, so you'll need great work experience, personal qualities, a top degree and all the rest).

Your degree breakdown is far more important than your A Levels. I have a family member in legal recruitment who is my 'inside source'. As an aside, I also know that my brother's old flat-mate had appalling A Levels (BCE, I think), but works at Freshfields. This will be because the rest of his application would have been exactly what they wanted.

In short, I believe if you are a relatively weak candidate, A Levels are important. If you excel elsewhere, they are not. This also applies to many mature applicants who get training contracts - not because they had great A Levels (many have very average ones, from back when A Levels were tough), but because they have strengths in other areas.

(Original post by beatleboar)
    Yes I was thinking that, I know certainly they are very biased towards oxbridge graduates. Also generally all the others are a red-brick university or are in the russel group. Mostly with AAA at A-level and Firsts or 2:1's so your chances are hindered slightly with the A-level results howevr Nottingham is a very good university to be at and so in that department your chances are good , just make sure you get a good level of degree then you have a slight chance I would say. Just my opinion mind.
    How exactly do you know that? Some proof of that would be nice.

Strictly speaking there are only 5 magic circle firms and they do not only take Oxbridge/LSE grads. I'm not quite sure how you got that information but again some evidence of that would be nice.

Say if I got AAA will they care about the AS results?
    They look at your whole A levels not your AS alone or your A2 alone.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I have uncondtional from Nottingham university to do law but I only got BBB in my A level. Do u think that I don't have any chance to go to magic circle (or silver circle) firms due to my poor A levels?
    Maybe, if you get a first, do some work experience etc. A good employability test is (top is most likely to get employed)

Oxbridge/LSE, 2:1/1:1, Great A-Levels, Knowing the right people

Redbrick/Russel Group/ 2:1/1:1 Great A-Levels/ Knowing the right people

Then you get the heirachy, the more you take off the less employable you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    Strictly speaking there are only 5 magic circle firms and they do not only take Oxbridge/LSE grads. I'm not quite sure how you got that information but again some evidence of that would be nice.
    Aunt who was at Kings Chambers said the people she'd been at uni with who then went on to work for Clifford Chance generally favoured Oxbridge applicants and the majority of their grad recruitment schemes are full of Oxbridge/LSE candidates.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, if you get a first, do some work experience etc. A good employability test is (top is most likely to get employed)

Oxbridge/LSE, 2:1/1:1, Great A-Levels, Knowing the right people

Redbrick/Russel Group/ 2:1/1:1 Great A-Levels/ Knowing the right people

Then you get the heirachy, the more you take off the less employable you are.
    Great A-levels being ... AAA? AAAA? AAB? :s

ReputationRep:
    Great A-levels being ... AAA? AAAA? AAB? :s
    Genrally great A-Levels = Oxbridge entry standard so AAA, maybe to A*A*A

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.