Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I thought I might start this thread aimed mostly at students who are about to enter their first year of IB.
    This will hopefully give them a better picture of which subjects to do.

Anyway, so all YOU have to do, is say which subject in every catergory is harder and why, more enjoyable and why, easier and why...WHATEVER! (Just do the ones you have/had experience with. AND PLEASE GIVE YOUR REASONS!

Economics HL vs. Business HL
    Physics HL vs. Math HL
    Geography HL vs. History HL
    Biology SL vs. Envi.Sci. SL
    Chemistry SL vs. Biology SL
    Chemistry HL vs. Biology HL
    Chemistry SL vs. Physics SL
    Comp Sci. HL vs. Visual Art HL

Feel free to add more and carry on this thread

ReputationRep:
    Maths Studies- Relatively easy, I got a B grade at GCSE I wasn't very confident, and it's going well.
    Higher English- Great Good books (within reason) good assessment structure, interesting, but challenging at the same time.
    Higher Biology- I don't really know... if the teaching isn't good then god help you:P
    Higher Psychology- Great! Super interesting! Amazing!!!!!! (maybe I'm biased here)
    Film Studies- If you dont get a 6 in this you must be a fool! It's great
    Italian Abinitio- Hard It's a *****. And I got B grade french so I had experience in languages

Hope this helps x

ReputationRep:
    Eco standard-> i think its relatively easy,, it can be really hard when starting doing it but later on, things get better. There are some topics which may seem very difficult at first but it gets better after reading the textbook carefully and gaining some understanding of other topics.. overall i think the difficulty of this subject is okay, especially when u r a logical person.

Chemistry HL -> overall its okay, just organic chemistry and the options are kinda annoying. For me i think its easier than physics even tho i dont take physics.. but i just dont get physics...

Well these are my opinions. It really depends on different ppl

ReputationRep:
    English A1 HL -> good books, but the themes are basically the same, there is not much variety within the different sections
    Biology HL -> i think that it is pretty easy, but maybe i just have a good teacher. there is a lot of material that needs to be covered in a short amount of time...i keep a journal of all the assessment statements and their answers, and it has proved very helpful
    Math Studies -> the easiest academic class i have ever taken

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grape:))
    Maths Studies- Relatively easy, I got a B grade at GCSE I wasn't very confident, and it's going well.
    Higher English- Great Good books (within reason) good assessment structure, interesting, but challenging at the same time.
    Higher Biology- I don't really know... if the teaching isn't good then god help you:P
    Higher Psychology- Great! Super interesting! Amazing!!!!!! (maybe I'm biased here)
    Italian Abinitio- Hard It's a *****. And I got B grade french so I had experience in languages

Hope this helps x
    But a B in french isn't really experience, is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    But a B in french isn't really experience, is it?
    It's experience of successfully learning a language

ReputationRep:
    It's experience of successfully learning a language
    not really

ReputationRep:
    not really
    I tell you what you arrogant ****. I think that a B grade is a decent pass and if you want to try and make me feel bad about that you can get stuffed. B grade was a success to me. Go rot.

ReputationRep:
    English A1 HL: the books we did were great and overall was a lot of fun, although the oral was terrifying. Can be tricky to do well though.
    French B SL: we had a great teacher so it was fine, but if you don't get a good teacher then you're basically screwed because there's no fixed syllabus.
    Business SL: BORING. But easy - all you need is terminology and some common sense.
    Bio HL: Pretty easy if you're decent at science, have a good memory (the syllabus is huge) and again, common sense. Good teaching is optional :p:
    Maths SL: If you've ever done IGCSE Add Maths, this is a free 6/7 points. If not, then it should still be okay, but a lot of people in my year dropped to Studies.
    Chem HL: Learning the theory was tough, but I found the exam questions to be hell on earth (especially the crap they threw at us this year for Food Chemistry).

And to answer the original question, Bio HL was so, so, SO much easier than Chem HL.

ReputationRep:
    I tell you what you arrogant ****. I think that a B grade is a decent pass and if you want to try and make me feel bad about that you can get stuffed. B grade was a success to me. Go rot.
    I'm not being arrogant.
    A B grade (60% ± a few%) at GCSE shows that you've not successfully learnt it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not being arrogant.
    A B grade (60% ± a few%) at GCSE shows that you've not successfully learnt it.
    Stop attacking me. I am proud of what I achieved. Go waste time somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Physics HL vs. Maths HL ... at the moment, I'm finding Maths easier. I think it's fine if you practise, whereas Physics is just naturally difficult... But, then again, people seem to find it harder to get a 7 in Maths than in Physics

ReputationRep:
    ENG A1 HL: rather simple, time-consuming, take good notes, re-read the novels for IA's & EA's... however, difficult to secure a 6/7 due to subjective criteria.
    BIO HL: Love it, lots and lots of memorization, recommended to have the syllabus present at all times.
    CHE HL: More difficult, requires practice on the basic exam type questions, found the IA's more difficult (than PHY or BIO), yet v. interesting and challenging
    PSY SL: Interesting, yet tedious. You'll find the exam questions v. v. annoying and you should study FOR the questions, not for general psych. Fairly easy subject if you can nail the exams.
    PHY SL: The bane of my existance, boring, tedious and vague syllabus, entirely dependent on the teacher (for understanding), v. difficult exam type questions, rather simple IA's
    MAT SL: Practice, practice, practice and you shall recieve, otherwise general understanding is key and testing your knowledge in basic q's as well as odd applications, spend lots of time on perfecting your IA's (easy 20%)
    FRA ABINITIO SL: Boring, absolutely hate french, just going to cram, recommend writing essays about basic life and reading [light] french books.

EE: work early on, find a topic you love, READ THE CRITERIA.
    TOK: Try to understand what they want from you, find close-to-home examples, etc.

hope this helps?

ReputationRep:
    The only one out of the categories posted in the OP that I can speak of with experience is physics vs chemistry. At my school, you don't even REALLY pick your SL/HL subjects until your second year, and your first year is kind of a mix of both, but I found physics better in every way. It was straight-forward and made sense. When reviewing for the mock-final at the end of the year, all I could think about every single unit was "wow, in hindsight, this unit was really obvious..." whereas with chemistry, it was "ugh this is stupid and I don't want to memorize it"

ReputationRep:
    HL English - Epically fun, though it is my area of interest; if you love literature then you'll love this!
    HL German - Like all languages, needs to be one you actually enjoy for you to work your arse off in it, otherwise your grip on it will start to slip quickly. This happened with me and latin and I ended up dropping it big mistake in retrospect.
    HL Psychology - Great, if you have the right teacher I happen not to have, but psychology is my passion so I try not to let it deter me - a wonderful subject if you're organised!
    HL Biology - I found difficult, purely for the level of material, but I'm no scientist and I'd dread to be someone who found their passion in HL Maths of HL Chem! Hats off to you people!
    Ab Initio French - Loved the language, hate the course. I was expected to learn all tenses and basic conversational skills/grammar in two months. So. Difficult. They really cram it.
    Maths Studies -Yes, it may be studies, but I am STILL failing it! haha, seriously, it's all about your strengths, but I've heard that maths is one of the most difficult IB subjects, particularly at higher level it's tantamount to suicide :crazy:

ReputationRep:
    dug up this old thread too...is a great help for the new IB'ers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by satisfactionatlast)
    dug up this old thread too...is a great help for the new IB'ers...
    Biology vs. Chemistry HL

Biology is basically just memorization with a hint of understanding. Chemistry is basically understanding with just a hint of memorization. :p: No but seriously, if you aren't good at maths, I recommend Biology. If you prefer calculations and more quantitative approaches to science, Chemistry is ace.

I recommend taking the one that also "comes" to you; if you don't understand Chemistry, it makes little sense to pursue it at HL, for instance. Chemistry just clicks for me, and I've always been good at memorizing things, but Biology HL has an immense syllabus (it would take at least two straight weeks just to review).

Biology vs. Chemistry SL

Both are quite simple. Again it depends if you prefer memorization or calculations. I think Chemistry SL would be easier if you are "science-orientated" since there is more to understand then rote-memorize and the calculations are fairly straightforward (you skip much of energetics, acid-base and redox calculations). Biology's content is more vast, but much of it is quite easy in comparison to HL.

Both are doable if you are willing to put in the effort of studying

Chemistry vs. Physics SL
    Pick whichever comes more naturally to you. I hated Physics, simply because it did not "come to me," and because my teacher was inept.

My two cents.
    + having a good teacher is perhaps one of the most important things; if you are undecided, pick the one with the better teacher!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragnar_jonsson)
    Biology vs. Chemistry HL

Biology is basically just memorization with a hint of understanding. Chemistry is basically understanding with just a hint of memorization. :p: No but seriously, if you aren't good at maths, I recommend Biology. If you prefer calculations and more quantitative approaches to science, Chemistry is ace.

I recommend taking the one that also "comes" to you; if you don't understand Chemistry, it makes little sense to pursue it at HL, for instance. Chemistry just clicks for me, and I've always been good at memorizing things, but Biology HL has an immense syllabus (it would take at least two straight weeks just to review).

Biology vs. Chemistry SL

Both are quite simple. Again it depends if you prefer memorization or calculations. I think Chemistry SL would be easier if you are "science-orientated" since there is more to understand then rote-memorize and the calculations are fairly straightforward (you skip much of energetics, acid-base and redox calculations). Biology's content is more vast, but much of it is quite easy in comparison to HL.

Both are doable if you are willing to put in the effort of studying

Chemistry vs. Physics SL
    Pick whichever comes more naturally to you. I hated Physics, simply because it did not "come to me," and because my teacher was inept.

My two cents.
    + having a good teacher is perhaps one of the most important things; if you are undecided, pick the one with the better teacher!!
    In Chemistry SL, though, the options do rely quite a bit on objects you don't discuss in SL. (Eg. Titrations in the Medicines and Drugs chapter, stereo-isomerism in Human Biochemistry). Other than that, I agree with you about the SLs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Man of the Hour)
    In Chemistry SL, though, the options do rely quite a bit on objects you don't discuss in SL. (Eg. Titrations in the Medicines and Drugs chapter, stereo-isomerism in Human Biochemistry). Other than that, I agree with you about the SLs.
    That's true. However, given the immensity of, say, the Biology options, it does not make it much more difficult imo.

Essentially, pick the one that interests you more & evaluate whether you are better at memorization or calculations. (it really does come down to this :p: )

ReputationRep:

Hope this helps x
    I second that comment on IB biology. Our teaching for IB biology was...Non existant at best.

HL Music: Pain in the arse if you haven't got a good teacher, but the freedom is refreshing.
    HL English: Again, incredibly free and gives you an opportunity to love the subject, but not so damaging if you have a poor teacher (though, fortunately, we have a strong teacher for this anyway).
    HL Psychology: I approve strongly of the IB Psychology course, well laid out and engrossive yet incredibly free, allowing for individual interests to be pursued.
    SL Biology: Meh, lots of memorisation and with a poor teacher (she held up a biology book and read from it...) is horrible and nigh on unbearable.
    SL Maths Studies: Relatively easy and approachable, though the "functions" unit is a pain for those who chose maths studies due to not being very mathematically minded.
    SL Spanish Ab. Initio: Too biased on this to comment fairly, due to my disabilities regarding language. I have found to be very difficult, but I'm getting there...Slowly.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.