Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    *Cough* Cheney

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second.

Bush did do a lot of things wrong, many of them which have been bought up in this thread. He really did earn his infamy, however it's important to remember how crazy things were post 9/11. I mean, Bush would have been an alright president, if 9/11 hadn't happened. However, in the climate afterwards, he had to be seen taking decisive action and this unfortunately allowed a channel through which fear and irrationality could find it's way to the top - Cheney was definitely a negative influence on Bush, and under Cheney, the power of the Vice president swelled.

It is also far too easy to forget some of the things that Bush did fairly well. To name one achievement (could you call it that), he held Israel back from bombing Iran.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    What didn't he do wrong?
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    He was born. Fault nr 1.
    And they just kept coming ..

ReputationRep:
    i am actually very grateful for bush's term(s) in office, without them we wouldn't have Bushisms, which no one can deny, are ******* hilarious :yep:

here's a few

"Amigo! Amigo!" --George W. Bush, calling out to Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi in Spanish at the G-8 Summit, Rusutsu, Japan, July 10, 2008

"Thank you, your Holiness. Awesome speech." --George W. Bush, to Pope Benedict, Washington, D.C., April 15, 2008

"I can press when there needs to be pressed; I can hold hands when there needs to be -- hold hands." --George W. Bush, on how he can contribute to the Middle East peace process, Washington, D.C., Jan. 4, 2008

President Bush: "Peter. Are you going to ask that question with shades on?"
    Peter Wallsten of the Los Angeles Times: "I can take them off."
    Bush: "I'm interested in the shade look, seriously."
    Wallsten: "All right, I'll keep it, then."
    Bush: "For the viewers, there's no sun."
    Wallsten: "I guess it depends on your perspective."
    Bush: "Touche.
    --an exchange with blind reporter Peter Wallsten, to whom Bush later apologized, Washington, D.C., June 14, 2006

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    He did a lot of things wrong. But ill tell you now they worship him in Africa. He gave so much to charity, and because of him the AIDS/HIV etc rates dropped and a lot of lives were saved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by René Artois)
    He did a lot of things wrong. But ill tell you now they worship him in Africa. He gave so much to charity, and because of him the AIDS/HIV etc rates dropped and a lot of lives were saved.
    Moreover, he was absolutely loved in India too - to add to your point.

India was given a status of exception from the hundreds of non-proliferation agreements and the Indo-US nuclear pact wouldn't have gone ahead unless the US wanted India as a counterweight against China.

His republican free-trade mantra was very popular too and allowed India's outsourcing sector to boom.

This does not diminish his evil war crimes one bit, but you're right in saying he was not universally hated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    He banned stem cell research.
    He authorized the PATRIOT act.
    He put in place ridiculous tax cuts on the richest americans.
    He totally failed at handling Katrina.
    He set up Guantanamo bay.
    He invaded Iraq for oil.
    He gave even more money to Pakistan.
    He unilaterally attempted to isolate countries like Iran or N Korea without attempting to negotiate (when it comes down to it this was one of the few areas he was right based on recent events!)
    He cancelled the assault weapons ban.

Various other things that i can't remember.

As it turns out, Iraq is actually turning out quite nicely and exporting billions of dollars of oil, with a relatively secularist and friendly government (friendly to the US anyway). But that doesn't mean it was a justified war (Saddam's iraq was said to be all the things (terrorist funding nuclear state with opaque corrupt militarist government) that Pakistan is, yet Saddam was attacked for Oil whereas Musaraff was not).
    This.
    Plus he made America more alienated to the middle east and other people and countries because of the actions he took, the responses he made, and the attitude he instilled.

ReputationRep:
    To answer the question. George Bush Sr didn't use a condom - that was what he did wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmeenax)
    *Cough* Cheney
    This. There is a lot of recent evidence that suggests Cheney was the puppet master.

ReputationRep:
    everything.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGmlGYw_ANI

Watch this clip of Bill Maher. Every word he says is so true. Watch the whole thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    i think losing the election in 2000 started him off
    bush
    Popular vote 50,456,002
    Percentage 47.9%

Al Gore
    Popular vote 50,999,897
    Percentage 48.4%

i like how the USA works sometimes, you can win the popular, but still lose the election
    Someone else has probably pointed this out already, but the UK system is far worse for that. You could win something like 25% of the vote and have a majority in Parliament.

(Not that I think it's that bad of a system)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    someone did

the last time it happened was in 1974, before that was 1951
    tories winning the popular vote, but labour winning more seats in parliament, 301- 297 seats

all elections after that for parliament, the party that has formed government have won the popular vote

plus we have a different system, we elect 1 MP, that on FPTP, winner takes all, most votes win, not the whole government or PM
    Yes.

I know, hence I was pointing out our system was worse for that.

ReputationRep:
    He put his right shoe on his left foot.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.