Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sister going to a poly, parents devastated Watch

I just graduated last week but my sister is starting university this September. She was telling my parents that she had got a place in Manchester (and she told me that aswell). Anyway, my Mum was cleaning her room the other day and saw some confirmation letters from Manchester Metropolitan University, and one from UCAS confirming that MMU was indeed he first choice university. That same evening my Mum told my Dad and they were mulling over it for a while. They are pretty damn devastated about it to be honest, I can't believe she has been telling everyone all this time that she had applied to Manchester. I don't understand because she got half decent AS grades last year and she has always worked hard. My Mum and Dad have been looking at Guardian and Times league tables the past couple of nights and they really seem to struggling with it. We are meant to be going on holiday next week and I can just see it blowing up and being ruined by arguments. Should I tell my sister that they know everything and get her to own up? I want to get it out of the way ASAP and let everything settle down ASAP. My Mum is absolutely devastated, my Dad seems to be handling it well by my Mum had a proper stress out/panic last night when my sister was upstairs about her future etc.

Should I just tell my sister that we know?

ReputationRep:
    Why is it such a big deal? It's her choice.

ReputationRep:
    Tell your sister, yes. Your parents reactions are, frankly, ridiculous and your sister should speak to them and explain that.

ReputationRep:
    I have no clue how bad a poly is, but it's your sisters choice and it's been confirmed so in all fairness you can't do much i belive.
    What is she going to study and why did she lie?

ReputationRep:
    Going to an ex poly for one is nothing to be ashamed of for a start. (this is not a place to discuss and debate ex polys to other unis)

I think it is going to be better to clear the air now before and holiday and talk to her about it, she knows the reason as to why she said she was going to manchester in some respects she was only stretching the truth as she is going to uni in manchester. Still i guess not the point. Clear the air asap i think is the best thing.

ReputationRep:
    Why is Manchester Pol supposed to be a bad University?

ReputationRep:
    Jesus christ. Perhaps she wanted to go to MMU, perhaps she really liked a course there, it's her decision where to go to uni, not your parents. I think it's a massive overreaction for them to be "devastated" by this, it's not like she's terminally ill or something.

ReputationRep:
    Further to what other posters have said. It is your sisters decision as to which university she goes to, the fact whether it's an ex-poly or not doesn't matter. It's HER choice not her parents. They should be supporting the choices she makes not trying to change them.

ReputationRep:
    i thought man met was a pretty good poly and man uni is fairly bad so theyre pretty equal? maybe i dont know what im talking about.

i wonder why she lied, it was bound to come out

ReputationRep:
    There is pretty much nothing you can do. I wonder why she wanted to go to a crap uni, what alevel grades did she get?

ReputationRep:
    I go to an expoly and my parents were exactly the same. Just tell you sister and let her prepare to explain instead of having it chucked onto her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallflower*)
    Jesus christ. Perhaps she wanted to go to MMU, perhaps she really liked a course there, it's her decision where to go to uni, not your parents. I think it's a massive overreaction for them to be "devastated" by this, it's not like she's terminally ill or something.
    :ditto:

I think we just have a case of ignorant parents - them pinning the hopes of their daughter's career on the league tables just confirms this. I certainly know a few who think anything other than Oxbridge or a London based uni is rubbish... :no:

I'd tell her they know if I were you, just so she can avoid digging herself a hole if starts telling some half-truths.

ReputationRep:
    Your parents are A-holes.

ReputationRep:
    Is nobody else's troll detector going off right now?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by wallflower*)
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    I would tell your sister that you all know she's going to MMU, and then encourage her to explain to your parents the reasons why she chose that course/uni. If they are still 'devastated' then, frankly, they need to grow up and stop obsessing over league tables.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratocaster)
    this
    why would you go anon for this thread?

(Original post by Stratocaster)
    No, because not everyone is so afeared of dupery that their detectors are fine-tuned to the extent that even the slightest deviation from a standard problem induces a blaring siren. Not to mention the matter-of-fact, uncontroversial and unfunny style of the first post, which makes a motive difficult to locate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    this
    why would you go anon for this thread?
    Exactly, and it's just the kind of story to get 3/4 of TSR riled. Too good a story to be true really.

Sorry, but your parents sound like a couple of drama queens. They remind me of the 'Aga Saga Woman', one of the characters in The Catherine Tate Show: "It's the eggs! They're not organic!" :woo:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.