Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sister going to a poly, parents devastated Watch

ReputationRep:
    in a non-racist way, do you happen to be asian? if yes, i can understand their reactions

ReputationRep:
    I sympathise with your parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meercatman)
    :ditto:

I think we just have a case of ignorant parents - them pinning the hopes of their daughter's career on the league tables just confirms this. I certainly know a few who think anything other than Oxbridge or a London based uni is rubbish... :no:

I'd tell her they know if I were you, just so she can avoid digging herself a hole if starts telling some half-truths.
    Ever heard of Warwick and Durham? They're very good too...

ReputationRep:
    What a sad, sad little family you have, OP.

ReputationRep:
    sounds like my family. However my brother went to Southampton Solent [dropped out], and UWE [graduated with 2:1] and they are kinda expecting me to go to a top uni but in reality I think it's a ex poly too that I may end up going to but I don't mind really.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry - but doesn't anyone think she should have told her parents in the first place that she was applying to Manchester Met instead of Manchester University? By concealing her top choice she has been heading for drama, and her father at least does not seem so worried, so it's not like she's going to be disinherited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I just graduated last week but my sister is starting university this September. She was telling my parents that she had got a place in Manchester (and she told me that aswell). Anyway, my Mum was cleaning her room the other day and saw some confirmation letters from Manchester Metropolitan University, and one from UCAS confirming that MMU was indeed he first choice university. That same evening my Mum told my Dad and they were mulling over it for a while. They are pretty damn devastated about it to be honest, I can't believe she has been telling everyone all this time that she had applied to Manchester. I don't understand because she got half decent AS grades last year and she has always worked hard. My Mum and Dad have been looking at Guardian and Times league tables the past couple of nights and they really seem to struggling with it. We are meant to be going on holiday next week and I can just see it blowing up and being ruined by arguments. Should I tell my sister that they know everything and get her to own up? I want to get it out of the way ASAP and let everything settle down ASAP. My Mum is absolutely devastated, my Dad seems to be handling it well by my Mum had a proper stress out/panic last night when my sister was upstairs about her future etc.

Should I just tell my sister that we know?
    This is your problem.

ReputationRep:
    How can any parents be devastated about their children doing what makes them happy? Your sister obviously had her reasons for both applying to that university and not telling you all and it's really her business after all. Now that you all know, there's no point in delaying any rows, it's best to tell her.

ReputationRep:
    Man met isn't that bad!!!!! the facilities are much better than man uni builidings which tend to be old buildings with old facilities, manchester uni only has it's reputation to go by. I love my uni, and i've had a great time here, living in mmu halls then moving out to the student area -fallowfield. Besides i think man uni own man met, i'm not completely sure though.

ReputationRep:
    She's going to a poly? Your parents should be very proud that their daughter has invented a time-machine.

ReputationRep:
    Why anon? troll

ReputationRep:
    Do your parents post on TSR?

To be 'devastated' about your daughter attending a University that is a former Polytechnic is pathetic. They need to think long and hard about what they are doing. It's your sister's choice. I hope she has a good three years there. Manchester Metropolitan is not a bad Uni at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimothy)
    She's going to a poly? Your parents should be very proud that their daughter has invented a time-machine.
    This is genius. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I just graduated last week but my sister is starting university this September. She was telling my parents that she had got a place in Manchester (and she told me that aswell). Anyway, my Mum was cleaning her room the other day and saw some confirmation letters from Manchester Metropolitan University, and one from UCAS confirming that MMU was indeed he first choice university. That same evening my Mum told my Dad and they were mulling over it for a while. They are pretty damn devastated about it to be honest, I can't believe she has been telling everyone all this time that she had applied to Manchester. I don't understand because she got half decent AS grades last year and she has always worked hard. My Mum and Dad have been looking at Guardian and Times league tables the past couple of nights and they really seem to struggling with it. We are meant to be going on holiday next week and I can just see it blowing up and being ruined by arguments. Should I tell my sister that they know everything and get her to own up? I want to get it out of the way ASAP and let everything settle down ASAP. My Mum is absolutely devastated, my Dad seems to be handling it well by my Mum had a proper stress out/panic last night when my sister was upstairs about her future etc.

Should I just tell my sister that we know?
    I think you should tell your sister so that she can prepare herself for when it hits the fan.

And btw are people really that snobby about universities? I don't understand that, personally. I'd have thought parents would be proud enough of their kids for actually GOING to uni.

Oh yeah and why is your mum cleaning her room when she's old enough for university? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Adeline-)
    How can any parents be devastated about their children doing what makes them happy? Your sister obviously had her reasons for both applying to that university and not telling you all and it's really her business after all. Now that you all know, there's no point in delaying any rows, it's best to tell her.
    Yeah, I guess some parents don't trust their kids. Besides many pick unis on a stupid basis, like 'oh I like that building' or 'everyone was so friendly' (lucky day), and they often end up regretting choices like that, which parents seem to know/have experienced. For example someone I know rejected UCL and RHUL for Glamorgan The parents are probably concerned about her employment prospects, which - face it- probably would have been better with Manchester. But if it's a great course and what she wants to do, then they'll see that and get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meercatman)
    :ditto:

I think we just have a case of ignorant parents - them pinning the hopes of their daughter's career on the league tables just confirms this. I certainly know a few who think anything other than Oxbridge or a London based uni is rubbish... :no:

I'd tell her they know if I were you, just so she can avoid digging herself a hole if starts telling some half-truths.
    Yeah, mine...I was talking about Oxford, then the next day I mentioned Durham/UCL because they don't have bloody 24 week terms and have a social life, and my stepdad's like 'why are you lowering your expectations already, oh yeah go for 2nd best'. Some parents, in wanting the best for you, don't see any pros/cons outside academia and prospects.

ReputationRep:
    If she wants to go to Man Met that's up to her. It sounds like your parents only respect top universities so no wonder she lied to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    Yeah, I guess some parents don't trust their kids. Besides many pick unis on a stupid basis, like 'oh I like that building' or 'everyone was so friendly' (lucky day), and they often end up regretting choices like that, which parents seem to know/have experienced. For example someone I know rejected UCL and RHUL for Glamorgan The parents are probably concerned about her employment prospects, which - face it- probably would have been better with Manchester. But if it's a great course and what she wants to do, then they'll see that and get over it.

Regardless of whether or not it was the right choice, I think the important thing is that it was her choice to make and her parents should respect that.

ReputationRep:
    If I was your mum I'd be upset that my daughter had lied to me about where she was going to uni, not that she was really going to a poly. Maybe that's part of why they're so upset.

Anyway, yeah, you should probably let her know that they're onto her.

ReputationRep:
    If she said she's going to university in Manchester then she hasn't really been concealing anything at all.

Tell your parents to get a grip - I bet your sister can't wait to get away from such controlling, pathetic people.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.