Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sister going to a poly, parents devastated watch

ReputationRep:
    Give your parents a slap

Really though, it's such a non issue.
    Yes tell your sister that you all know, but don't turn it into an argument.

She probably didn't tell them because she knew they'd kick off over nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    She was telling my parents that she had got a place in Manchester (and she told me that aswell). Anyway, my Mum was cleaning her room the other day and saw some confirmation letters from Manchester Metropolitan University, and one from UCAS confirming that MMU was indeed he first choice university.
    Perhaps she simply does not understand the difference between Manchester and MMU. If so, perhaps she does deserve a poly.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to get totally neg repped to hell but who cares, anon is not for this...
    Basically a parent will want to spend lots of time and money on their child so they will be successful. A massive step in that is probably seen to be university, so ideally a high ranking university which will usually be a redbrick, no?

I want my siblings and in the future children to do so too.
    That is unless there is an exception due to the fact they want to do drama/art/computer games design or something.

They'll get over it though, and blood is thicker than water and all that.

This is probably going to sound silly, but is Chester Uni a poly/ex-poly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Perhaps she simply does not understand the difference between Manchester and MMU. If so, perhaps she does deserve a poly.
    lol

---
    Anyways, I don't the issue with attending an ex/poly.

OP: Your parents need to grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    I'm going to get totally neg repped to hell but who cares, anon is not for this...
    Basically a parent will want to spend lots of time and money on their child so they will be successful. A massive step in that is probably seen to be university, so ideally a high ranking university which will usually be a redbrick, no?

I want my siblings and in the future children to do so too.
    That is unless there is an exception due to the fact they want to do drama/art/computer games design or something.

They'll get over it though, and blood is thicker than water and all that.
    Exactly, agreeee - if my kid had the capability, and wasn't planning to do Art etc, I'd want them to go to a top uni as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    Exactly, agreeee - if my kid had the capability, and wasn't planning to do Art etc, I'd want them to go to a top uni as well.
    Yup, a load of people at TSR would also think the same about red bricks but probably too scared to say..

Obviously if they try their best and work hard and get DDD I'd still be proud - but if they slacked it's a different story.

ReputationRep:
    You should be more concerned about the fact your sister didn't feel comfortable telling her own family as she knew what they would think.

Seriously, league tables mean nothing, no one cares about them except newspapers. Might as well create your own in your head of ones you like and compare them to others.

ReputationRep:
    A degree's a degree anyway; just what does it matter?!

ReputationRep:
    what does poly mean?

ReputationRep:
    Haha this whole thread made me laugh. I'll see your sister at MMU in September! :rave:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.