Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NottsTrentUni)
    I can assure you that Nottingham Trent University Law School is second to none. I go there myself, and love the course! I have had all the support I need and really enjoyed first year. Nottingham is a great place. Come to Notts
    As much as i would actually quite like to go to nottingham trent i dont think i can meet the enry requirements!! but ive heard its a great student place and as you say the Law school is great which is a huge plus! oh well!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Deeds)
    Nottingham Trent, Leeds Met and De Montfort are all polytechnics. Nottingham Trent arguably has the better reputation of them all and I'd say that Leeds Met probably isn't too far behind. Don't rely too much on the league tables though; they're really arbitary - check out the Guardian's for example and you'll see the difference. Like I've said, don't stress about where you end up; you can only make the best of a not-so-good situation and if you work hard and do well they'll give you a good enough chance at getting to where you want to be.
    Righteo i checked out nottingham trent and the btec restricts me so i cant go there, however i emailed Leeds metropolitan and they said that ifulfill the entry requirements :/ so would you say that could be a good choice for me? I quite like the idea of leeds as its lively aswell, although ill be STUDYING non stop!!!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Greg1004)
    Righteo i checked out nottingham trent and the btec restricts me so i cant go there, however i emailed Leeds metropolitan and they said that ifulfill the entry requirements :/ so would you say that could be a good choice for me? I quite like the idea of leeds as its lively aswell, although ill be STUDYING non stop!!!!
    Leeds Met is definitely a good alternative. According to the Guardian it's only 3 or 4 places behind Nottingham Trent as well. Check out other places also, like Greenwich, De Montfort, etc. These are all based in or around lively cities and whilst Leeds Met may be that little bit better, they will still provide you with a good foundation.

When you do get to uni though, don't just go into the "I have to study to get anywhere" frame of mind. I managed to get a first this year and that was after a lot of hangovers and EC activities. It's good for you to come across as an all-round kind of person so try and find the correct balance.

ReputationRep:
    Leeds Met is definitely a good alternative. According to the Guardian it's only 3 or 4 places behind Nottingham Trent as well. Check out other places also, like Greenwich, De Montfort, etc. These are all based in or around lively cities and whilst Leeds Met may be that little bit better, they will still provide you with a good foundation.

When you do get to uni though, don't just go into the "I have to study to get anywhere" frame of mind. I managed to get a first this year and that was after a lot of hangovers and EC activities. It's good for you to come across as an all-round kind of person so try and find the correct balance.
    Oh believe me i plan on partying veryy hard!! After all communication, social skills etc are important too!
    What university are you at?
    I also looked at gradute prospects for some law firms in leeds, manchester and a few London ones, it seems that the main requirement amongst you own personal skills is a 2:1 degree. and on some cases a 2:2, which is also quite promising!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Oh believe me i plan on partying veryy hard!! After all communication, social skills etc are important too!
    What university are you at?
    I also looked at gradute prospects for some law firms in leeds, manchester and a few London ones, it seems that the main requirement amongst you own personal skills is a 2:1 degree. and on some cases a 2:2, which is also quite promising!!
    Exactly, and an overwhelming majority of the smaller city firms do not specify a requirement for your A-Level results. Providing that you do get a good degree classification (which will demonstrate your academic ability), if you do decide to go into Sports Law you may actually find that a BTEC in Sports may set you aside from your competition. You clearly have an interest in the industry and intelligence wise, you'll be on the same level. I'm at Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, and an overwhelming majority of the smaller city firms do not specify a requirement for your A-Level results. Providing that you do get a good degree classification (which will demonstrate your academic ability), if you do decide to go into Sports Law you may actually find that a BTEC in Sports may set you aside from your competition. You clearly have an interest in the industry and intelligence wise, you'll be on the same level. I'm at Warwick.
    yh i just checked out your profile! Oh very nice you did very well at a level then!!
    Dont take any offence to this ut i actually thought u were a man, i think Mr deeds confused me!! whats your aspirations after completing your degree?
    Yh i kinda thought that it may play a good role at sport law firms as i do have good knowledge of the Foundations of a lot of areas of sport!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    yh i just checked out your profile! Oh very nice you did very well at a level then!!
    Dont take any offence to this ut i actually thought u were a man, i think Mr deeds confused me!! whats your aspirations after completing your degree?
    Yh i kinda thought that it may play a good role at sport law firms as i do have good knowledge of the Foundations of a lot of areas of sport!
    Lol! I am a guy and I got AAA at A-Level, somehow. I have a vacation shceme with Lovells lined up; hoping to go into corporate law and work in the city in one of the MC/SC firms.

ReputationRep:
    Lol! I am a guy and I got AAA at A-Level, somehow. I have a vacation shceme with Lovells lined up; hoping to go into corporate law and work in the city in one of the MC/SC firms.
    You have a boyfriend?? :/ gay?.......i have no problems with this btw lol just slightly curious!!

hmm so your guna be one of them big time lawyer that look down on me :0 haha just kidding! Did you find your irst year challenging??
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You have a boyfriend?? :/ gay?.......i have no problems with this btw lol just slightly curious!!

hmm so your guna be one of them big time lawyer that look down on me :0 haha just kidding! Did you find your irst year challenging??
    Yeah, some of us got given dodgy genes :p:! The first year wasn't too bad, I think the most difficult bit was keeping up with the workload; I've never actually read so much in my whole life - that was a bit of a culture shock. Also, try and attend all your lectures; a lot of people get it into their heads that they can catch up later or just copy their mate's lecture notes. It doesn't really work like that, and especially not with law. Your lecturers give you a lot of their own personal experiences and you'll take a lot more from actually being there than you will from reading over a slide two or three weeks later. And yes, that's even if you feel absolutely crap in the morning. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, some of us got given dodgy genes :p:! The first year wasn't too bad, I think the most difficult bit was keeping up with the workload; I've never actually read so much in my whole life - that was a bit of a culture shock. Also, try and attend all your lectures; a lot of people get it into their heads that they can catch up later or just copy their mate's lecture notes. It doesn't really work like that, and especially not with law. Your lecturers give you a lot of their own personal experiences and you'll take a lot more from actually being there than you will from reading over a slide two or three weeks later. And yes, that's even if you feel absolutely crap in the morning. :yes:
    somebodys gotta have em haha oh right cool, yh my brothersat Leeds uni and he says he misses some ectures every now nd then but he wishes after he didnt, he's doing some sort of science thing...Nanotechnology i think!

Might sound silly but by doing law at uni, what sorts of things do law students wear to uni? lol

Also how do i rep you??
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    somebodys gotta have em haha oh right cool, yh my brothersat Leeds uni and he says he misses some ectures every now nd then but he wishes after he didnt, he's doing some sort of science thing...Nanotechnology i think!

Might sound silly but by doing law at uni, what sorts of things do law students wear to uni? lol

Also how do i rep you??
    Nanotechnology? Wow, that sounds quite scary lol. To give somebody rep you just click on the blue thumbs in the top right hand corner of your post and then you can either approve what somebody has said (positive rep) or disapprove (negative rep).

You get loads of random things in lectures, some people proper doll-up but the majority just roll out of bed; my best mate very often wears her pyjamas under a "Warwick Law Society" hoody and a pair of her bf's trackies lmao. Personally I usually just go for jeans and a shirt/jumper but it depends on the weather. You don't have to dress formal or even smart casual for that matter, just wear whatever's comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    Nanotechnology? Wow, that sounds quite scary lol. To give somebody rep you just click on the blue thumbs in the top right hand corner of your post and then you can either approve what somebody has said (positive rep) or disapprove (negative rep).

You get loads of random things in lectures, some people proper doll-up but the majority just roll out of bed; my best mate very often wears her pyjamas under a "Warwick Law Society" hoody and a pair of her bf's trackies lmao. Personally I usually just go for jeans and a shirt/jumper but it depends on the weather. You don't have to dress formal or even smart casual for that matter, just wear whatever's comfortable.
    oh right, yh i glanced through some of his books and believe me, the diagrams and simple names of what the diagrams are had me completely mythed!! haha

oh thats good, i live in newcatle/durham area and alot of durham university student wear formal trousers, shirts, some wear ties and even proper suits! Id prefer just jeans, nice top, easy!! Summer some nice shorts for bit of tan!!
    What units are easi-ish and what ones are difficult??
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What units are easi-ish and what ones are difficult??
    Yeah I wore shorts in the exams and stuff; get's pretty hot when 320 of you are in the same room lol. What do you mean by that ^ above?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I wore shorts in the exams and stuff; get's pretty hot when 320 of you are in the same room lol. What do you mean by that ^ above?
    basically in terms of like subjects/topics, e.g. Tort, contract law etc.....which ones are more difficult to get you head around and which ones can be quite straight forward?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    basically in terms of like subjects/topics, e.g. Tort, contract law etc.....which ones are more difficult to get you head around and which ones can be quite straight forward?
    I see now, sorry, I thought you said unis lol. It really boils down to you as a person. Personally I've always found Property law the easiest but I was in a massive minority; a lot of other people find Tort and Contract relatively straighforward, but again I'm the opposite. I think most people get on pretty well with Criminal law - it's one of those subject which, whilst still having a strong legal content, can also be quite discursive. You can talk a lot about the morality of the criminal law as opposed to just having to know the hardcore cases and statutes. Thanks for the rep btw.

ReputationRep:
    Why not do a foundational year at a uni and then progress to law?
    Sport btec -> Law is very tough considering the style of the subjects are greatly different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    Why not do a foundational year at a uni and then progress to law?
    Sport btec -> Law is very tough considering the style of the subjects are greatly different.
    Its funny you say that, my brother said to look on red brick universities websites and look into the idea of a foundation year, im very open to suggestions so i checked it out looks quite promisinbg, i have emailed various universitys, hopefully get feedback soon!! but thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Greg, did you get AAA at A level did you say?! Well I didnt, and Im doing Law at Trent, so i dont kno quite how you dont think you will meet the entry requirements! Hope you find a great uni for you anyway, much luck
    TrentUni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NottsTrentUni)
    Greg, did you get AAA at A level did you say?! Well I didnt, and Im doing Law at Trent, so i dont kno quite how you dont think you will meet the entry requirements! Hope you find a great uni for you anyway, much luck
    TrentUni

No im doing a daft BTEC so can only get 280 pts! lol definately not AAA

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Ive been looking for a thread like this for ages!!

Greg1004 im in a very similar situation as you, wna study law at uni but im doing a national diploma in sports (mena be equivilant to 3 a-levels). Im really unsure what to do as from what ive read on other websites and threads going to an expoly uni can limit the options you have once you finish the degree??? (which seems really stupid!!)

Do you reckon that unis will see sport's as a non-academic subject and therefore lower my chances even more? Even if I get full distinctions (DDD)?

How do you guys/girls rate these unis for law:
    Reading
    Sussex
    Leicester
    (Sheffield)

thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.