Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've been shortlisted for an interview for a funded PhD with the department of engineering at Cambridge. Apparently I have to select a college to apply to and have no idea about anything like that since I am a simple Warwick graduate.

So, in this roundabout way, I was wondering which colleges I should be applying to? I understand that some of them only accept postgraduates and this may be beneficial since there will be more places available for selection?

Cheers,

Nick

ReputationRep:
    Disclaimer: You may want to wait for someone more knowledgeable re: Cambridge (I only have 2nd hand knowledge of that uni).

I was in a very similar position earlier this year (awarded a studentship that was conditional on getting a college place), so had similar feelings of, "A college? Huh?"

I would go for the usual, "Have a look at information on the colleges and see which you like the sound of" route, but remembering that at this point in the year some have full subject/level allocations (if you've been shortlisted for '09-'10).

At the end of the day it's not too important unless you have particular needs/want to go after certain scholarships, as if there's no space at your preferred college and you are offered a funded studentship, I think they find you a college place anyway.

You may want to see which colleges those supervisors who share your academic interests are Fellows at?

ReputationRep:
    At this time of the year there won't be many options. If you aren't fussy, then just put no preference on your application. You'll probably end up at a grad-only college. If you were hoping, or would like, to be at a mixed college, I'd recommend asking the secretaries at the BGS, nicely, which colleges are still considering applications.

ReputationRep:
    Sweet. Well, ideally I want to be in the centre of town so I don't have to spend all my time on buses/bikes. I heard Darwin is alright and is grad-only. Anyone know anything that might back this up?

ReputationRep:
    Darwin had a good grad community. I used to hang out there quite a bit - would recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaiJ)
    Sweet. Well, ideally I want to be in the centre of town so I don't have to spend all my time on buses/bikes. I heard Darwin is alright and is grad-only. Anyone know anything that might back this up?
    Nothing is really all that far. I walk everywhere.

Darwin is an extremely popular grad-only College. I think it ranks first or second in the number of applications it receives, so that boat might have sailed already. But, maybe not. Colleges like to maintain balances amongst the courses. You might be lucky in that they are looking for (more or less) an engineering PhD student.

Again, like I said, it's probably best to ask which colleges are still considering applications if you are keen on making some sort of choice, either in regards to how close you are to certain locales in town (e.g. your department), or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    I liked the look of Wolfson when I was down there recently. Most of the students there seemed to like it.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome. I'll probably make a phonecall tomorrow then. By the way I don't suppose there is a way of finding out online where spaces are available, there there?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.