Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do star signs actually mean anything? Watch

ReputationRep:
    People randomly assign silly historical names according to your date of birth, things like Capricorn, Libra, Scorpio etc. And they say people have distinct personalities based on these star signs. But is this really true? Has it been proved at all?

What I find particularly ludicrous is all these horoscopes each week saying "oh, you will meet the love of your life but you will experience a case of bad luck". Who writes this utter **** and is it actually true?

ReputationRep:
    Well they mean something to the people who believe in it obviously.

They don't mean anything to me though because I don't believe any of it.

I still read them if I come across them just to see what they have to say. Never take much notice of them though, they can often be ridiculously general.

ReputationRep:
    Well it means you were born between a certain set of dates, and that you are identical to everyone else born in those dates

And most of it probably is true, cause they write them so open-to-interpretation that people will just be like "oh wow, that could be me"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timetokill)
    ridiculously general.
    No more needs be said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by breakthru)
    People randomly assign silly historical names according to your date of birth, things like Capricorn, Libra, Scorpio etc. And they say people have distinct personalities based on these star signs. But is this really true? Has it been proved at all?

What I find particularly ludicrous is all these horoscopes each week saying "oh, you will meet the love of your life but you will experience a case of bad luck". Who writes this utter **** and is it actually true?
    I agree.. the ones in newspapers are actually horrible, they are always something really generic like "you will either go through some traffic lights or you will not." :eek:

Although saying that i have had some daily horoscopes being scarily accurate for like a week, this goes for all my friends too :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Short answer: No.
    Long answer: No.

ReputationRep:
    no...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Nope.

That said, they're often good fun to read. Shame it's not true. :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    No, but I like to think I'm a typical Leo :ninja:

They mean **** all.

Take a look at this crap: http://www.cainer.com/

ReputationRep:
    No.

as sheldon cooper once said "it tells us that you participate in the mass cultural delusion that the sun's apparent position relative to arbitrarily defined constellations at the time of your birth somehow affects your personality."

bbt ftw :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I dont really believe in them but all the same i still read them :P

ReputationRep:
    I believe but I shan't even ever attempt to justify myself

Astrology was the first science, after all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden-flower)
    I believe but I shan't even ever attempt to justify myself

Astrology was the first science, after all!
    Massive difference between astrology and astronomy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by breakthru)

it was prioven in the 50's i think that there is absolutly no relaition between those 2.

personally i belive there maby be a slight one, due to what time of the year your birthday is but other than that no way.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not but i still like reading them

ReputationRep:
    i'd just read them for curiousity

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember the name of the programme, but the presenter was trying to dispell they myth of horoscopes and fortune tellers. He cut out horoscopes from magazines and stuck them on the back of cards, and then set up stall as a fortune seller, asked people to pick cards and read off the back of them. Some of the people coming out were in tears, saying the presenter had told them very intimate things that no one else knew about. Horoscopes and star signs are generic enough to be accurate but specific enough to be believable.

ReputationRep:
    Complete ********. I have no respect for people who read horoscopes. Even the people that say "they just read them for fun". They aren't an interesting read. They are boring, general and vague. For the people that do believe in them...Its a fair assumption to say that on average, 1 in every 2 days, at least 1 star sign will have a horoscope reading "you will find love". That implies that everyday a bare minimum of 250 million people break up and another 250 million form a new relationship. wow.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.