Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do star signs actually mean anything? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Good old planetary and star system alignment nonsense, why newspapers bother paying to someone to write that utter load of twaddle is completely beyond me. I find it somewhat amusing that none of the predictions ever match each other either, the prediction for Scorpio in one paper will usually be totally the opposite of the prediction in another paper.

I have a friend who actually believes in horoscopes along with the healing power of crystals and actually swears by it :/ Conversations with them are usually rather amusing if a little bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    They're supposed to...but they're usually lies tbh. Except when you read them afterwards and sometimes find yourself thinking 'well that could refer to that' etc. But basically star signs/horoscopes are a load of **** that are just there to take up a page in a magazine.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

I remember Derren Brown doing an experiment saying he could predict everyones lives using a significant item. They all said the reports he gave them were 90%+ accurate with some saying how he's basically wrote out their hopes, fears & lives pretty much. Turns out he'd given each participant the same report and it was all general stuff that's common of the majority of the population. This imo is the same as star signs.

p.s. sorry if someone has mentioned this, i didn't read the thread

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in the horoscopes or anything like that. But your actual sign is at times, implicating of the kind of person you are. It doesn't work this way for everyone, but I find that I'm similar to many other Aries I know.

ReputationRep:
    Do star signs means anything? The short answer is: No.

ReputationRep:
    i do not believe in them at all
    the description of a leo is the COMPLETE opposite of me

ReputationRep:
    I believe it, but not thos quasi-horoscopes in the newspapers. Find an astrology chart maker online and you'll be astonished as well.

ReputationRep:
    biggest load of bollox ever, people that believe them just need hope or are looking for compliments because they are always positive.

ReputationRep:
    no.. horoscopes are complete and utter piss.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, here's my view: apart from all horoscopes being horrifyingly vague, I think there could be some scientific proof that makes the horoscopes accurate... sometimes.

I'm not into astrology, but I do think the time of year that you are born will have an effect on your personality, and therefore you might have similar traits to someone born at roughly the same time... assuming you live in similar countries.

For example, in the US and the UK the school year starts in or around September. Therefore, people born in September (virgo) have almost a whole extra year of social development, and therefore may be more confident. I think early developments like these contributes to the phenomena that allows people to assign 'personality traits' to people born at a certain time of month. However, it would be interesting to know if South Africans (who's school year starts in January) find horoscopes to be as accurate as Brits/Americans/anyone else who's school year starts in/around September.

In addition, I think there may be months in which parents are more likely to conceive their first child, second child etc. For example, from my experience I can say that first-borns seem to usually be born in the autumn/very early winter. Therefore astrologists *could* base their writing on statistics as above, ie assign all autumn signs with traits that are likely to be seen in an eldest child.

Basically, what I'm saying is that, no, what star sign you are born under will have no effect on your personality, and as a result horoscopes have to be very vague. However, there are certain factors that could be read into based on the time of year you were born which may give people born under one star sign verses another similar traits.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I fit the definition of a Virgo pretty accurately, and I know some people who are really typical of their signs as well, but then there are some people that don't fit them at all. Like some other people who are also Virgos are the complete opposite of me. I think the horoscopes you get in magazines are absolute rubbish though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and Sagittarius is best

ReputationRep:
    I believe in horoscopes which describes a certain personal qualities for certain zodiac sign. Because it approves really often.

ReputationRep:
    it's idealistic tosh.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Most of them use Barnard's statements, which are designed to be a bit vague so that they look true - but in reality they don't seem to be based on anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I remember getting a free horoscope book in a teen magazine years ago and it said things like "Capricorns are well-known for their fab legs so wear mini skirts and hot pants to make the most of them" like being born a certain time of year determines your body type :lolwut:

I read my horoscope for a bit of fun but I don't take any notice of it. I've also seen psychics a few times and it was the same deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.