Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay so i was driving my Ka earlier and the airbag light came on and stayed on. It comes on whenever i turn the engine on now and after checking fuses etc have decided that Monday i'll have to call a garage.

Stupid question but, can i still drive it around- no major drives just tootling around?. Or would i be silly to considering im thinking the airbag may go off in my face :mad: HELP!

ReputationRep:
    it's probably just a faulty sensor. take it to a garage anyway though, just to be on the safe side and get them to turn it off.

actually, at work we had an old citroen xsara (named jimmy.. his reg plate was JMY so i called him jimmy.) which had the airbag light on for months and months and months. i even worked for a citroen garage and they refused to look at it. one day, it just went off.

ReputationRep:
    When you move the seat especially in a PSA Car i.e a Xsara, the SRS sensor in the seat loses proper contact which trips the airbag light.

This is how I fixed my 406's fault with this.

Look under the seat, you will see an orange coloured connector running into a wiring harness in the seat or to the seatbelt,

Unplug the connector, strip the wires back and solder it back to the sensor, this way it's hardwired in, it's usually the connector that gives the problem, Don't know if this applies to your KA but definately Peugeots and Citroens!

When the fault is fixed, reset the airbag light or it may do it automatically.

Try adjusting the seat and see if it goes off!

ReputationRep:
    I'd have a check for the wiring to the Seatbelt pre tensioners.

They are linked to the SRS circuit, so that when you crash, they fire, tightingening the seatbelts and locking the reeling mechanism to stop you moving too much. Damaged or twisted wiring to them can trigger the srs light to activate. Worth a check; I'm pretty sure the majourity if not all of the KAs came with pretensioners... They're attached to the buckle you plug your seatbelt in and will usually consist of two wires in a plastic casing leadingg to a cylinder probably with a yellow warning label attached to the seatbelt buckles.

NB if you try to replace them yourself or want to disconnect them at the connector there, you should disconnect the batteries, as this can in cases trigger the pretensioners which contain exposive material..Opening the connector and spranging some contact cleaner in there, with a brush to shift any much that might be there, and checking that the cabling hasn't become tangled up in the seat adjusting rails could sort it..

You should be fine to drive around wihtout an airbag exploding in your face :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k823127)
    Stupid question but, can i still drive it around- no major drives just tootling around?. Or would i be silly to considering im thinking the airbag may go off in my face :mad: HELP!
    Hi

No it won't go off at all -- the light means a fault in the airbag system so it's automatically switched off. It's fine to drive just be aware if you happen to have a crash the airbag won't go off.

Don't mess with the wiring if you're not 100% what you're doing otherwise you could set it off!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, i wouldn't even attempt to do anything to the wiring or anything REALLY not my sort of thing considering i thought it was initially the seatbelt light! It's going to the garage tomorrow and hoping that it is just something loose and cheap to fix

ReputationRep:
    Found out today that the ECU on my airbag is faulty???? Any idea how much these cost to get repaired or a new one....i'm guessing it's not cheap even if i am doing it on the cheap side. I hate cars!

ReputationRep:
    Found out today that the ECU on my airbag is faulty???? Any idea how much these cost to get repaired or a new one....i'm guessing it's not cheap even if i am doing it on the cheap side. I hate cars!
    not expensive really, £35 for an airbag AND the ecu, and probably that again to have someone fit it for ya. you can get the airbags and modules from ebay

ReputationRep:
    Ended up costing me £230 for a new airbag ecu and the coding to my car...luckily for me i didn't pay for it

ReputationRep:
    Ended up costing me £230 for a new airbag ecu and the coding to my car...luckily for me i didn't pay for it
    In future check out the forum in my sig the owner of the sites on here aswell, sounds like you got ripped off to be honest

ReputationRep:
    My car doesn't have an airbag.
    infact, there were cars going round for 80 years or so untill the device was invented.

You'll be perfectly fine to drive the car around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    My car doesn't have an airbag.
    infact, there were cars going round for 80 years or so untill the device was invented.

You'll be perfectly fine to drive the car around.
    But those 80 years there were significantly less idiots on the road than there is today....and i personally want one in my car just in case.

ReputationRep:
    But those 80 years there were significantly less idiots on the road than there is today....and i personally want one in my car just in case.
    Do you know airbags can actually cause injuries. Personnaly id rather have a racing harness which keeps my head away from the steering wheel anyway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 15, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.