Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So guys just a quick question. If you're applying something related to science to Cambridge like medicine or chemistry or engineering, is it necessary that you follow 'The New Scientist'? I mean is it helpful for the interview or is it okay if you havent read it?

ReputationRep:
    for gods sake....u should read it because u want to, because ur interested or because one day whilst browsing the supermarket u saw a particularly interesting title topic and decided to read/purchase it.

Also what do u mean follow it, its not a book, just a magazine with interesting articles! And yes, they will slaughter if you havent read it (hope sarcasm went well there).

RANT OVER-GOOD LUCK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    for gods sake....u should read it because u want to, because ur interested or because one day whilst browsing the supermarket u saw a particularly interesting title topic and decided to read/purchase it.

Also what do u mean follow it, its not a book, just a magazine with interesting articles! And yes, they will slaughter if you havent read it (hope sarcasm went well there).

RANT OVER-GOOD LUCK
    Sarcasm didn't go very well, sorry ;[

But I agree wholeheartedly. I read the new scientist from about 12

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemax)
    So guys just a quick question. If you're applying something related to science to Cambridge like medicine or chemistry or engineering, is it necessary that you follow 'The New Scientist'? I mean is it helpful for the interview or is it okay if you havent read it?

i dont think its necessary it didnt come up in my med interview at cambridge at all. they want to see that you do read around the subject but that can be with any material - even internet websites etc. many people will say they read new scientist - if you do something more unique than that's eeven better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)

12 years of age or from year 12 ??

ReputationRep:
    scientific american is better than new scientist

12 years of age obviously

ReputationRep:
    it's okay if you haven't read it.

ReputationRep:
    Age.
    My mum brought it home one day, and I liked it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rukouine88)
    i dont think its necessary it didnt come up in my med interview at cambridge at all. they want to see that you do read around the subject but that can be with any material - even internet websites etc. many people will say they read new scientist - if you do something more unique than that's eeven better

I love you for that lol..........I do read alot of random articles on the internet or wherever i can find something interesting but i dont really read the New Scientist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)

lol..just got a bit fed up :P

Yeah i started reading when i was 14, but only like interesting articles which i actually liked reading about such as the medical ones but i hate space and spacey stuff... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    lol..just got a bit fed up :P

Yeah i started reading when i was 14, but only like interesting articles which i actually liked reading about such as the medical ones but i hate space and spacey stuff... :p:
    ;o

they're my favourite bits ;[

Really? I've always assumed it was those fancy journals from the public library or a book you're bought from Waterstones written by a lecturer or something.

On your last point, can you give some examples of something unique?

Btw, does this mean that there is no difference between listening to lectures online and actually going to lectures? Because surely if you can read from internet websites you can also put down in your PS you "listen to lecture podcasts online" in the relevant subject(s)?

ReputationRep:
    Helpful but not nessersary

ReputationRep:
    thank you for the response everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I love you for that lol..........I do read alot of random articles on the internet or wherever i can find something interesting but i dont really read the New Scientist.

that's cool. They gave me an article to read and asked questions on it - like ethics, opinions etc. so try practising that when you read articles and stuff.

oh and graph interpretation.... they gave me a bunch of graphs/tables and asked me to interpret them.... THAT was difficult especially because i hadnt worn my glasses.... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Really? I've always assumed it was those fancy journals from the public library or a book you're bought from Waterstones written by a lecturer or something.

On your last point, can you give some examples of something unique?

Btw, does this mean that there is no difference between listening to lectures online and actually going to lectures? Because surely if you can read from internet websites you can also put down in your PS you "listen to lecture podcasts online" in the relevant subject(s)?
    i don't see why you couldnt
    well for e.g. there's nothing wrong with saying you read new scientist - but try mentioning a particular article you found interesting

or if you have a special interest in a topic - like i've always been interested in dwarfism -

lastly, dont forget that everything shouldn't be steered towards medicine. its good to have things in your PS that don't scream 'i did this because i want to do medicine'
    hope that helps xx

ReputationRep:
    that's cool. They gave me an article to read and asked questions on it - like ethics, opinions etc. so try practising that when you read articles and stuff.

oh and graph interpretation.... they gave me a bunch of graphs/tables and asked me to interpret them.... THAT was difficult especially because i hadnt worn my glasses.... :eek:

okay thanks! by the way, just out of curiosity, did you get an offer then?

ReputationRep:
    just be good at the required AS subject.
    Your subject title implies you don't want to read NS. It implies you're looking for ++points for interview.
    If you don't want to read NS, don't! The most important thing is being #1 in your class at *SUBJECTOFYOURCHOICE*.

^^ does not apply for mickey mouse subjects: Anything thats not science/maths. I.e. Medicine

ReputationRep:
    okay thanks! by the way, just out of curiosity, did you get an offer then?

yes but i chose imperial over them. you wouldnt believe the agro i got for it but i didnt want to move so far from home . i'm too much of a mummy's girl lol (and not ashamed to admit it) also so many students transfer/are transfered to imperial in the fourth year anyway.

i wish you luck - i am SO GLAD that part of my life is over... its so nervewrecking...

but dont worry, the interviewers are quite nice - and the questions arent that obscure although i did get asked a random question - they asked me to rate the interview on a scale of 1-10 haha:woo:

i don't see why you couldnt
    well for e.g. there's nothing wrong with saying you read new scientist - but try mentioning a particular article you found interesting

or if you have a special interest in a topic - like i've always been interested in dwarfism -

lastly, dont forget that everything shouldn't be steered towards medicine. its good to have things in your PS that don't scream 'i did this because i want to do medicine'
    hope that helps xx
    thanks! I'll PM you for more advice as I don't want this thread to go OT.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.