The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
im so academic
thanks! I'll PM you for more advice as I don't want this thread to go OT.

kool im more than happy to help xx
Reply 21
thanks rukouine88!!
im so academic

Because surely if you can read from internet websites you can also put down in your PS you "listen to lecture podcasts online" in the relevant subject(s)?

I would've put that in mine if I'd had enough space- I don't see why someone shouldn't write that (if it's the truth of course). Surely it doesn't matter whether you actually attend a lecture/listen to it online- the point is that you are interested enough to listen to it either way.
im so academic
Really? :wink: I've always assumed it was those fancy journals from the public library or a book you're bought from Waterstones written by a lecturer or something.

On your last point, can you give some examples of something unique?

Btw, does this mean that there is no difference between listening to lectures online and actually going to lectures? Because surely if you can read from internet websites you can also put down in your PS you "listen to lecture podcasts online" in the relevant subject(s)?

What was it that made you prefer Science now? I thought you were going to apply for History?
another ib-er
I would've put that in mine if I'd had enough space- I don't see why someone shouldn't write that (if it's the truth of course). Surely it doesn't matter whether you actually attend a lecture/listen to it online- the point is that you are interested enough to listen to it either way.

Thanks for that answer. :yes:

Xerophelistica
What was it that made you prefer Science now? I thought you were going to apply for History?

PM me for answer. Don't want to make this thread OT. :smile:
Reply 25
No you dont need to read it, dont ask stupid questions.
Reply 26
im so academic
thanks! I'll PM you for more advice as I don't want this thread to go OT.

How did I know 'im so academic' would comment on a Cambridge thread...:wink: :p:
I doubt it - I haven't studied science since GCSE and even I find the science a bit thin on the ground. It is not an impressive magazine to be reading.

Is reading the adventures of Conan necessary for studying literature?
Ben77mc
I read the new scientist from about 12

Pretty much sums up its level...
Reply 29
I got given an old-school New Scientist article from 1979 to read over before one of my interviews, then they started asking questions based on it but only as a starting point for the interview. I had said that I was interested in drug action before the interview, and the article was about a natural opiate analogue newly (all of 30 years ago!) discovered in the brain. It was a small polypeptide, so they asked me what properties of peptides do you think would lead to its effects, how do you think it works, etc.
Read what will interest you. I read quite a bit of New Scientist but personally I think it's mostly crappy journalistic rubbish. I suppose they do have to sell copies but everything is apparently going to change life as we know it and nothing will be the same again, which gets my goat.. But yes, look for things which interest you and read about them!

phil.
Reply 31
only reason to read new scientist is for the last two pages.
bluemax
So guys just a quick question. If you're applying something related to science to Cambridge like medicine or chemistry or engineering, is it necessary that you follow 'The New Scientist'? I mean is it helpful for the interview or is it okay if you havent read it?

Never read "The New Scientist" (or any similar magazine). Proud holder of Engineering offer. So no, not a necessity.
Reply 33
spacepirate-James
for gods sake....u should read it because u want to, because ur interested or because one day whilst browsing the supermarket u saw a particularly interesting title topic and decided to read/purchase it.

Also what do u mean follow it, its not a book, just a magazine with interesting articles! And yes, they will slaughter if you havent read it (hope sarcasm went well there).

RANT OVER-GOOD LUCK :biggrin:

This.
MC REN
scientific american is better than new scientist

12 years of age obviously

I was having a look at changing my subscription next year. I enjoy New Scientist, but am finding many parts repetitive and, at a glance SA looks far better written.

Is it much more expensive?
i read it most weeks, just the stuff i'm interested in though. i put that in my PS in the section for other interests, as i wasn't applying for a scientific course.

reading it won't hurt. but do it cuz you want to, not cuz you feel you ought to.

spacepirate-James
And yes, they will slaughter if you havent read it (hope sarcasm went well there).

lol.

however, if you claim you read it, when in fact you haven't, expect to be pulled up for trying to blag your way in!
another ib-er
Surely it doesn't matter whether you actually attend a lecture/listen to it online- the point is that you are interested enough to listen to it either way.

agreed on the lecture thing, i don't think it matters if you can't make it in person: many lectures i want to attend are in London, so would be expensive for me to get to. PodCasts are *amazing* to catch up on what i missed!
Reply 37
abstraction98
I was having a look at changing my subscription next year. I enjoy New Scientist, but am finding many parts repetitive and, at a glance SA looks far better written.

Is it much more expensive?

Erm I think its like £30 for a year of SA (monthly not weekly though)

Dunno though, I haven't had it for quite a while - I read PhysicsWorld occasionally (cause I get it free), or some of the student ones (BlueSci maybe?, for similar reasons)

I've rarely read New Scientist but some people slag it off for publishing things which are just wrong.
Reply 38
In my maths interview they asked if I'd read any science material (I'd mentioned some interests in my PS) and I said I read journals; they then asked which journal and where I get it from. So they seem quite interested in how much time you actually spend reading.
Reply 39
You don't have to, but it can be quite handy during interviews to have read something scientific, whether that be academic journals or popular science books. Every interviewer I had asked me 'what I read', ie. what scientific article/book I had read, found interesting, etc. (To the first interviewer, I replied "Uhh right now? Eh I'm reading Picture of Dorian Gray and Catch 22, why?". I can be so clueless. :erm: )

Latest

Trending

Trending