Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by iliketea)
    You don't have to, but it can be quite handy during interviews to have read something scientific, whether that be academic journals or popular science books. Every interviewer I had asked me 'what I read', ie. what scientific article/book I had read, found interesting, etc. (To the first interviewer, I replied "Uhh right now? Eh I'm reading Picture of Dorian Gray and Catch 22, why?". I can be so clueless. :erm: )
    that's the type of thing i do. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Prankster Pixie)
    that's the type of thing i do. :yes:

Which is usually a good thing. Just not during interviews :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemax)
    So guys just a quick question. If you're applying something related to science to Cambridge like medicine or chemistry or engineering, is it necessary that you follow 'The New Scientist'? I mean is it helpful for the interview or is it okay if you havent read it?
    If you want a higher chance of getting in, don't say you read the new scientist! I said I read Richard Feynman's Quantum Electrodynamics for my medical interview .

(Original post by Comp_Genius)
    If you want a higher chance of getting in, don't say you read the new scientist! I said I read Richard Feynman's Quantum Electrodynamics for my medical interview .
    Says who? :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    I believe I said it.

ReputationRep:
    This.

I believe I said it.
    No, as in have you got any source/evidence to prove your point?

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, i sort of see why, cause its different and sets you apart from other people? I mean come on, almost everyone is going to put "I read New Scientist" ? So i guess that puts you at an advantage...

ReputationRep:
    No, as in have you got any source/evidence to prove your point?
    Spacepirate Captain James has mentioned the essence.

(Original post by spacepirate-James)
    Interesting, i sort of see why, cause its different and sets you apart from other people? I mean come on, almost everyone is going to put "I read New Scientist" ? So i guess that puts you at an advantage...
    Yes, obviously this can't be proven. Only if we could discuss the nature of truth.... but to be serious, the whole point of the interview is that you want to stand out from the rest of the candidates, so reading an unusual book, or having unusual knowledge about a topic, would be advantageous.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, obviously this can't be proven. Only if we could discuss the nature of truth.... but to be serious, the whole point of the interview is that you want to stand out from the rest of the candidates, so reading an unusual book, or having unusual knowledge about a topic, would be advantageous.
    So you actually read "Richard Feynman's Quantum Electrodynamics", it sounds really really really complicated.......(boring :p: )

ReputationRep:
    So you actually read "Richard Feynman's Quantum Electrodynamics", it sounds really really really complicated.......(boring :p: )
    Sure yes. It was a difficult read :p: . But it was written for laymen, so the concepts are there but mathematically it was dumbed down :P. Rather like "The Pleasures of Counting" if you want a suggestion... try reading a book that your interviewer wrote .. as in the case of the latter.

ReputationRep:
    Sure yes. It was a difficult read :p: . But it was written for laymen, so the concepts are there but mathematically it was dumbed down :P. Rather like "The Pleasures of Counting" if you want a suggestion... try reading a book that your interviewer wrote .. as in the case of the latter.
    haha! some underhand tactics....:p: i wont tell if you wont tell! whose betting im so academic already knows of this?

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    haha! some underhand tactics....:p: i wont tell if you wont tell! whose betting im so academic already knows of this?

may be he's trying to keep this as as a secret :P

lol. :p:

but the thing is, what if the interviewer catches you out?

then again, if you have understood the book etc etc, it could provide an excellent topic discussion in the interview.

ReputationRep:
    lol. :p:

but the thing is, what if the interviewer catches you out?

then again, if you have understood the book etc etc, it could provide an excellent topic discussion in the interview.
    for example:

Interviewer: So could you please tell me why did you choose..

Candidate: So totally accidentally i read this book you had written, it was really good...i mean really really good, i mean harry potter sucks compared to your general awesomeness!!!

Interviewer: :lolwut:

EDIT: this was meant to be a JOKEEEEE! sarcasm etc..im not a complete retard....well....

for example:

Candidate: So totally accidentally i read this book you had written, it was really good...i mean really really good, i mean harry potter sucks compared to your general awesomeness!!!

what a fail.

regardless of who wrote it (interviewer or not) they would like you to show enthusiasm for the subject, by reading the book and discussing it at length... not saying "it was really really good". that's something I would expect from vicky pollard off little britain. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    what a fail.

regardless of who wrote it (interviewer or not) they would like you to show enthusiasm for the subject, by reading the book and discussing it at length... not saying "it was really really good". that's something I would expect from vicky pollard off little britain. :rolleyes:
    yeah that was a joke....maybe you didn't get it.:cool:

ReputationRep:
    for example:

OR you tell the interviewer he got something wrong, which I did, and which got me in .

ReputationRep:
    OR you tell the interviewer he got something wrong, which I did, and which got me in .
    :eek3: wow, that must have been embarrassing...:p:

ReputationRep:
    Scientific American has more thoughtful, analytical and in-depth articles. New Scientist is like a preliminary to absorb SciAm.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.