Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to keep straightened hair... straight for longer? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically I have long hair which is quite straight naturally but has a little wave to it. I love my hair dead straight and it looks lovely after I straighten it but it doesn't last very long, an hour later and it's back to wavy...

How do you keep straightened hair straight for longer?

The only heat protection/styling product i use it shockwave mousse heat protector before drying it.

What sprays/products can i use on my hair before straightening to ensure it stays dead straight all day? thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Just a light spraying of Hairspray on both sides of the hair.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I'll try that

ReputationRep:
    my hairs naturaly bouncy and curley some times i wear it straight, to keep it straight for longer when you wash your hair and blow dry it use a round brush and pull down wards that will take the wave out gradually. it also depends on what type of straightner you use it rounded barrel? is so then when straightning your hair slightley pull your hair inwards at the wave with your starightner rather than pulling straight down. finally if that dosent help use a light hair spray preferly loreal elnett its much better, spray light over hair nd run a comb through that will keep your hair straight and not rock hard. loreal studio hot straight thermo straightning cream is what i use on my wet hair aswel that might help its real good better that shockwaves iv used them hope that helps btw how do new members start a thread??? ne one help

ReputationRep:
    Make sure your straighteners are on the highest heat setting, about 200-220 (obviously if you straighten on a regular basis, you may want to alternate between high/low settings to prevent damage).
    Also, a good shampoo and conditioner will make the hair more manageable, as will a straightening serum.

ReputationRep:
    I straighten it with wax, putting a VERY light layer on the hair beefore straightening.

Though, there are mixed opinions on how healthy this is for your hair, such I can't find a definate answer. I do it anyway *shrugs*

ReputationRep:
    i had this problem a few years ago, i found that getting layers put in my hair helped, but if you dont want to do this as mentioned hair spray does good, but there was also something i had called de humidifier got it from boots in a very shocking pink can think it was by Lee Stafford, cost a little bit, but it worked for me

ReputationRep:
    What straighteners do you use?

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone, i use ghd straighteners. i bought them because everyone told me it would solve my problem but an hour later my hair goes wavy and messy looking again, i want it dead straight and to stay like it. I will try those tips though!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I don't think poker straight hair looks that great but I have to have my hair poker straight, it really irritates me if its not, basically just use the GHD straighteneing irons, they are brilliant!
    People always comment on hoe my hair stays poker straight, use a spray and perhaps the lee stafford poker straight comb and clips-available from boots

ReputationRep:
    How do you straighten it, what's your technique like?

ReputationRep:
    OO I like the sound of Lee stafford. Any other tips i dont use hair spray as it makes my hair too stiff and break off.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, you use GHDs and it goes wavy within an hour?! My hair is a curly mess but GHDs keep it straight. Do you use any products? Like somebody mentioned earlier, lee stafford poker straight heat protection spray is good it smells lovely too! Also, serum. Any really. Even boots own brand heat protection one is okay.

ReputationRep:
    my hair is naturally curly i dont use any styling prodcuts like frizz ease, shockwaves or any type mousse or hairspray. I use to have the same problem id spend about a hout straightenin my hair and within say 4 hours it was curly or at least frizzy with kinks in it. Now i use babyliss 230 radiance straightners the red ones. I can strahgten ma hair in the morning will stay straight all day and unless i tie my hair up at night it is still straight the following morning. I love these straightners would never use anything else now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachael-69)
    my hair is naturally curly i dont use any styling prodcuts like frizz ease, shockwaves or any type mousse or hairspray. I use to have the same problem id spend about a hout straightenin my hair and within say 4 hours it was curly or at least frizzy with kinks in it. Now i use babyliss 230 radiance straightners the red ones. I can strahgten ma hair in the morning will stay straight all day and unless i tie my hair up at night it is still straight the following morning. I love these straightners would never use anything else now
    I second to that. I have them I am absolutely in love with these hair straighteners. I just think with GHDs you are paying for the brand and not the quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pina.Love)
    I second to that. I have them I am absolutely in love with these hair straighteners. I just think with GHDs you are paying for the brand and not the quality.
    yea deff it is the ghd name you pay for and they did loads lab tests and the radiance ones were proven to straight for longer. The radiance can be nearly the same price as ghds they were suppose to be £100 when i got them in December 2008 but were on offer in boots for £50 total bargin.

ReputationRep:
    yea deff it is the ghd name you pay for and they did loads lab tests and the radiance ones were proven to straight for longer. The radiance can be nearly the same price as ghds they were suppose to be £100 when i got them in December 2008 but were on offer in boots for £50 total bargin.
    Yh I know said that in another thread and got neg repped for it!!

ReputationRep:
    but TSR is about advice and opinions surely you shouldnt get it for having a opinion as long as its not offensive to anyone

ReputationRep:
    Hey there. I need to get a new straigtener as my current one is in no state to use I saw the babyliss radiance on amazon and its got excellent reviews. But someone mentioned having to use de-ionised water for the straightener and it being hard to find. Is this true, or can you use normal tap water??

edit: I just went to the boots website and it's cheaper than in amazon! :eek: £46.99! Will they have it in store, or should i just order online(if i decide to get it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    Hey there. I need to get a new straigtener as my current one is in no state to use I saw the babyliss radiance on amazon and its got excellent reviews. But someone mentioned having to use de-ionised water for the straightener and it being hard to find. Is this true, or can you use normal tap water??

edit: I just went to the boots website and it's cheaper than in amazon! :eek: £46.99! Will they have it in store, or should i just order online(if i decide to get it)

I use tap water in mine Id never heard of using that other de-ionised water but most the time i dont even bother with the water its optional. its meant to stay straighter with the water but i dont think it makes a difference my hair stays straight with no water in it. and my hair with out these straightners is frizzy curly and unbrushable i dont even section my hair now though i just run straightners over and its perfect in 5 mins

You could always nip into boots unless it says online offer be same price in the shop. look in the shop first if not buy them online. They are deff worth getting i think

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.