Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Effect of the A* requirement on Oxbridge applications? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goji09)
    At the Cambridge open day they said that the A* may not be a hugely significant factor in application, but that it depends on what proportion of applicants get an A*. If fewer applicants than the quota get at least A*AA, then the admissions tutors might accept less.
    See, now this is why I'm angry I couldn't go to the open day. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thanks for posting anyway; however I suppose this is true:

(Original post by xbabyxchelseax)
    an economics admission tutor at cambridge told me majority of students that have been made an offer in the past have least 90% ums marks all around thats why they are so fussy with applicants getting high ums at first attempt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fumblewomble)
    At the end of the day it's the course that's important. People who were going to apply to Cambridge won't necessarily just switch to Oxford - the courses are different there.
    Particularly in the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    It is highly likely that Oxbridge students who achieved the A's at A-level got the 90% for an A*, so that's probably why Oxford haven't introduced it yet becuase it's kind of reiterating the obvious. if anyone knows what i'm on about
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnyxNation)
    It is highly likely that Oxbridge students who achieved the A's at A-level got the 90% for an A*, so that's probably why Oxford haven't introduced it yet becuase it's kind of reiterating the obvious. if anyone knows what i'm on about
    "Reiterating the obvious" has nothing to do with it, really. They haven't introduced AAA* offers yet because they decided it would be better to wait and see how the new grade turns out rather than take a gamble on it, because by sticking with the old standard offer for one more year they won't actually lose anything. Once this year's admission cycle is over, though, they'll still have plenty of time to review that policy for the next one, as by then they'll at least have some data.

ReputationRep:
    i think this is good for those (like me) who are applying to cambridge, A* will shift a lot of applicants towards oxford most definitely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmellyCat16)
    A* will shift a lot of applicants towards oxford most definitely.
    I don't think it will. For maths, Cambridge has much higher grade requirements than Oxford (much tougher than AAA*); yet the applications to places ratio is about 5:1 at each of them. People do not seem to be dissuaded from applying to Cambridge for maths, even though the offers are more difficult to meet. Why, then, should they be put off for any other subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    I don't think it will. For maths, Cambridge has much higher grade requirements than Oxford (much tougher than AAA*); yet the applications to places ratio is about 5:1 at each of them. People do not seem to be dissuaded from applying to Cambridge for maths, even though the offers are more difficult to meet. Why, then, should they be put off for any other subject?
    You may well be right, but you might also argue that the Cambridge applicationlace ratio for maths would be higher than Oxford's if it weren't for STEP. I'm not saying this is definitely the case, but I can imagine people (with no stronger reason for choosing e.g. course) choosing Oxford over Cambridge because of uncertainty about the A* and I don't see any reverse mechanism the other way. Only time will tell of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    and I don't see any reverse mechanism the other way. Only time will tell of course.
    A small possibility may be students feeling they are capable of getting any sort of grades to meet an offer, but not feeling interview confident, so they feel that they have more chance vying for the offer-heavy route. This will be mahoosively outweighed by those who think in the other direction I think. In any case it'll be an interesting admissions cycle!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.