Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it 'could' or 'couldn't' care less? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This has been bugging me no end.

People seem to say "I could care less" with the meaning that they generally don't give a crap, yet surely it's "I couldn't care less" ? Which is right, I see 'could' more than 'couldn't' so is everybody stupid or is the phrase stupid?

ReputationRep:
    could not care less

people who say "could care less" are stupid. no one says that.

(Original post by ourlastmemory)
    This has been bugging me no end.

People seem to say "I could care less" with the meaning that they generally don't give a crap, yet surely it's "I couldn't care less" ? Which is right, I see 'could' more than 'couldn't' so is everybody stupid or is the phrase stupid?
    Aye this annoys me too.

If you COULD care less, then surely it isn't all that uninteresting? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    double positive doe!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    It's Couldn't.

I was actually thinking this earlier today (because of the lyrics to the MCR song 'Teenagers' :ninja:) and I'm sure it's "couldn't" but why does "could" keep popping up then? Common misconcpetion?

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't is correct.
    There is no point in saying 'I could care less', because then that means you actually care...

ReputationRep:
    It's the Americans that say "could care less". They're either are really stupid and don't understand what the phrase means, or are just generally more caring people than us British.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.