Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sister going Poly, parents devastated Watch

ReputationRep:
    I just got engaged last week but my sister has only recently gotten into a relationship. She was telling my parents that she was dating a guy (she told me that aswell). Anyway, my Mum was cleaning her room the other day and saw some love letters from another guy (a different one) who professed his love and adoration for her and her new boyfriend. Then they found another letter written by my sister to the two guys telling them she's so happy being in a polyamorous relationship with them. That same evening my Mum told my Dad and they were mulling over it for a while. They are pretty damn devastated about it to be honest, I can't believe she has been telling everyone all this time that she was only dating one guy. I don't understand because we come from a middle class family and she is quite pretty and these sorts of things don't happen to people like us. My Mum and Dad have been looking at NHS psychology league tables for the past couple of nights to find a decent psychologist to send her to and they really seem to struggling with it. We are meant to be going on holiday next week and I can just see it blowing up and being ruined by arguments. Should I tell my sister that they know everything and get her to own up? I want to get it out of the way ASAP and let everything settle down ASAP. My Mum is absolutely devastated, my Dad seems to be handling it well by my Mum had a proper stress out/panic last night when my sister was upstairs about her future etc.

Should I just tell my sister that we know?

ReputationRep:
    whaaaat? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Lol wtf? / the other same name thread? Wtf is going on hahahah I chuckled out loud.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean a 3 way relationship you and your two male partners?

ReputationRep:

I see what you did thar

¬¬

ReputationRep:
    Are you making threads to take the piss now?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say to give her a heads up - sooner rather than later! Just tell her that you heard them discussing it.

ReputationRep:
    I see you what you did thar, POLYgamy, har har har:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    i thought this was gonna be about your sis going to a polytechnic university... hahahahah

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was about polytechnics.

ReputationRep:
    man you had me worried there for a second, i thought she was going to a polytechnic, phewww

ReputationRep:
    is this some kinda joke? Same name, same style of writing..wtf is going on?

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: :lolwut: :lolwut: :lolwut:

No I get it now. Har har.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    I thought this was about polytechnics.
    Hahaha me too, knowing TSR :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I was sucked in by the elitist connotations; good one, OP :top:

ReputationRep:
    good trick with the title

how old is your sister...if she is young (older than 18) then let her...it will soon turn sour
    threeways dont last long

(Original post by Est.1989)
    good trick with the title

how old is your sister...if she is young (older than 18) then let her...it will soon turn sour
    threeways dont last long
    Are you sure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Are you sure?
    yes, one two of the three people will begin to 'fall' for each other and the third will start to get left out

ReputationRep:
    I thought you meant she was going to a polytechnic 'uni' rather than a proper one. Actually I think that would be worse than being 'poly' as you call it.

You really don't know what your missing when you dismiss things like that! Seriously find two more people, agree on some groundrules, try it out and then at least you might have some experience to base your aguments on.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously your having a giggle right?

There's nothing wrong with having a polygamous relationship and definitely nothing in the idea that would require your sister to see a psychologist... Why on earth do you think she needs professional help? It's like saying gay people are just "ill"...

Neway why not tell her and talk it through with her? Surely it couldn't hurt to find out what her opinion is and why she's in the relationship? If it's going to come out anyway she'll probs appreciate the heads up! But yeah do yourself a favour and don't condemn her for something that's perfectly normal!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.