Turn on thread page Beta

My Mum on Facebook? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well okay the other day my Mum said she had a presence on Facebook and so I searched her name and couldn't find anything. However, in my recommended friends thing it just came up with someone with her maiden name, and it's not that common. AFAIK she is still married to my Dad

Anyway how did facebook know it was my Mum? Is it even my Mum? She has no picture and only 6 friends, two of which have her surname (which is uncommon). It's weird though because my Mum has only got a sister (who doesn't have her maiden name) and the only other people I can think of is her dad's 2nd wifes neices and nephews which obviously wouldn't have the same name? Why is she using her maiden name?

Actually when I click the friends it appears she only have 5, but I'm sure it's her, because a couple are in her network

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what the purpose of this thread is, I just wanted to share

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she's using her maiden name so her old school/uni friends can find her?

ReputationRep:
    Ask her?

ReputationRep:
    She is on holiday and I don't want to message her because it might make my profile visible to her

ReputationRep:
    Yeah probably so her old friends can find her

ReputationRep:
    My mum used her maiden name to help when contacting old school friends. Ask her about it?

ReputationRep:
    Her friends might not know her married name.

ReputationRep:
    Her friends all know her married name afaik? And what is with these random people she's got with her maiden name? I hope they are not secret relatives, they look like dweebs.

ReputationRep:
    if hes got a second wife im sure ur mum wouldnt want to keep his last name lol

ReputationRep:
    http://myparentsjoinedfacebook.com/ :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I would advise against adding her to your friends list. Terrible things can happen. See my signature for more information.

ReputationRep:
    How did facebook know?

Simple - Facebook is evil and knows all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pri-x)
    if hes got a second wife im sure ur mum wouldnt want to keep his last name lol
    HER dad's not MY dad's!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joy Division)
    http://myparentsjoinedfacebook.com/ :rofl:
    LOL. I didn't know that existed. Ty
    Wish someone'd sent it to me when my mum got Facebook. *deprived*
    Ah well, there's always the dad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arctic_wombaT)
    How did facebook know?

Simple - Facebook is evil and knows all.
    But but...we're not even in the same network and have no mutual friends. We don't even share a last name (according to FB anyway).

The only connection I can think of is my Mum tried to add my cousin (who is my friend...) but my cousin rejected her?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind my Dad on FB but my Mum She would go through all my pictures "like"ing them all.

ReputationRep:
    Facebook keeps suggesting people to me just because we have the same initials, theres no other link whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimoso)
    yo man I found out my dad is still married to a belgian woman once, people often have secret lives :moon:
    lmao

This is almost as bad as this time when my Mum sent me a link on YouTube (I got it through mobile email) (again her username was her maiden name, but she sent it to my Dad so it can't be too bad) and I thought she sent it to my YouTube account and I thought she had found me I had to get my bf to delete all my videos because there were drug related ones But turns out it was just an email THANK GOD

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't friends re-united be better?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.