Turn on thread page Beta

Bulimia. watch

Announcements

I'm going to see a doctor next week about my bulimia & I'm really nervous.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had to go see a doctor & could tell me what it was like when you told your doctor?

Thanks in advance.

Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been but I would think they would put you in contact with a counselling service. If they don't, get in contact with one yourself.

On another note - well done on going to the doctors! It's a great step in the right direction and you should be proud of yourself.

I'm suprised no-one's got any experiences to tell. I'd personally like to know, as well. Though, I'm a long way off getting help - I'd be too scared to go and tell them, I've always been scared of going to the doctors - I nearly broke down in tears when I was describing the symptoms of my kidney infection, and the doctor was pretty much convinced I was making it up to get out of an exam.

I expect they'd find you a counselling service, I don't know if they prescribe anything for bulimia.. sorry I couldn't be of more help.

ReputationRep:
    i am not being bullied but i was depressed and i went to school counseler for that. i hated school so much because its a new school and no one is letting me to get too close... everyday i hang out with different people and its sickening... but the counseler helped me a lot.

i am very happy that u are going to the doctor because they will help u a lot

ReputationRep:
    It is the right thing to do going to the doctors, the build up is by far the worse bit as soon as you have it over with, i can assure you, you will feel a little better with at least getting it all off your chest, i think you know seeing the doctor is the right way forward in terms of getting some treatment. They are likely to refer you to a counsellor and they can really help. Stick at it and hopefully you will be feeling better.

I have been to the doctors for both bulimia and anorexia.I was weighed and had a blood test, then referred for councilling and to an eating disorders support clinic. A year on and I am fully recovered, and life has got so much better. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I went to see my doctor about my eating disorder and they were really nice and understanding. The doctor took a note of my height and weight and then we basically just talked about how I felt about myself and my eating.

I thought that, because I'm at a healthy weight now, the doctor wouldn't listen, but they did and took me very seriously. They refered me to my local child and adolescent mental health service, where I saw a clinical pyschologist and a guy that works with people with eating disorders.

I am so glad I went, it's been a huge help getting help and, even though it was hard, telling other people about it helped too - it couldn't be my secret then [which is good!]. Cheesy as it sounds, I feel like I can finally be me.

OP, don't worry about it. They've seen it before and know that it's going to be hard for you, so will try their best to put you at ease. Honestly, going to your doctor is a really good positive step. Well done!

If you ever want to chat about this, just PM me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm suprised no-one's got any experiences to tell. I'd personally like to know, as well. Though, I'm a long way off getting help - I'd be too scared to go and tell them, I've always been scared of going to the doctors - I nearly broke down in tears when I was describing the symptoms of my kidney infection, and the doctor was pretty much convinced I was making it up to get out of an exam.

I expect they'd find you a counselling service, I don't know if they prescribe anything for bulimia.. sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    I know it's really hard, but should really think about seeing your GP. Once you've decided to go, it's not as hard as you think it'll be. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    i was suffering from bulimia for 5 years as well as depression and self harm eventually got forced to get help after people noticed cuts all over my arms. went to dr went to psychologist and then to a counsillor am on prozac after around a month and a half i stopped self harming bingeing and started to pull out of my depression.

just remember take each step at a time and don't' be worried if you find it difficult and fall back if you stress you only have to deal with bulimia and stress so not worth it

best of luck and remember whatever you tell your GP will remain strictly confidential

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2009
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.