14 year prison sentence if Pakistanis joke about their president Watch

shark67
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
"Pakistanis who send jokes about Asif Zardari by text message, email or blog risk being arrested and given a 14-year prison sentence."

Some jokes that people have made about him:

"Terrorists have kidnapped our beloved Zardari and are demanding $5,000,000 or they will burn him with petrol. Please donate what you can. I have donated five litres."

"To commemorate the ascension to the Presidency, Pakistan Post has officially launched a new stamp. But the people of Pakistan are confused which side on the stamp to spit on."

Robber: "Give me all your money!"

Zardari: "Don't you know who I am? I am Asif Ali Zardari."

Robber: "OK. Give me all my money"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...uling-him.html
Z_Ahmed
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What if you were to send a joke from another country? And you weren't pakistani. Seems a very ridiculous rule to me lol, I'm sure people of other nations send jokes all the time to their respective presidents.
ma2k5
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know where Gordon Brown wishes he was :rofl:
there's too much love
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So if 90% of the country sends a joke then what, if they're stupid enough to make such a stupid law are they stupid enough to try to imprison everyone? What happens if a pakistani who is overseas makes a joke?
Feral Beast
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Gordon Brown has his bunker to retreat to, he doesn't need censorship!
mel0n
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
LOL how stupid.
jackmb
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What, can't the pakistani government take a joke?
ethan_L
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
really 14 years... quite sometime in jail lol teach you not to say it again
amii_G
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That's hilarious.
cowsgoquack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Rules are rules
_xAnonymous
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How extreme
Z_Ahmed
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jackmb)
What, can't the pakistani government take a joke?
It's the current fool Zardari who can't take a joke. His current position as a president is a complete joke if you evaluate his history of controversies.
punktopia
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Z_Ahmed)
What if you were to send a joke from another country? And you weren't pakistani. Seems a very ridiculous rule to me lol, I'm sure people of other nations send jokes all the time to their respective presidents.
You'll be extradited and the wonderful British government will stand and watch.
Z_Ahmed
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by punktopia)
Would be much simpler if he changes his hotmail email address, phone number and any other contact information. If that's too tough for him then he shouldn't mind a few minutes of constantly tapping the "delete" button. Heck, he can get his secretary to do that.
Tory Dan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cowsgoquack)
Rules are rules
And tyranny is tyranny.
anonymouz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by punktopia)
Haha.. thats quite true. Look at Gary McKinnon.

and Z_Ahmed is right, this guy is a joke. The people of pakistan keep getting robbed of their democratic rights. Zardari used to be known as "Mr 10%" while his wife was president, he was taking a little cut everytime the government was making deals worth billions of pounds. He has vast riches through out Europe, America and the UK. All of which should belong to the Pakistani people really, I dont see anyone eager to use the Proceeds of Crime Act against real criminals like him.. and the British govt. keeps going on about catching the Big fish, the untouchables etc.
DR_X
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by shark67)
"Pakistanis who send jokes about Asif Zardari by text message, email or blog risk being arrested and given a 14-year prison sentence."

Some jokes that people have made about him:

"Terrorists have kidnapped our beloved Zardari and are demanding $5,000,000 or they will burn him with petrol. Please donate what you can. I have donated five litres."

"To commemorate the ascension to the Presidency, Pakistan Post has officially launched a new stamp. But the people of Pakistan are confused which side on the stamp to spit on."

Robber: "Give me all your money!"

Zardari: "Don't you know who I am? I am Asif Ali Zardari."

Robber: "OK. Give me all my money"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...uling-him.html
Lol, but in China you have something similar, just not as extreme, basically if you criticise any government official in a funny degrading way, you will be warned(with a stick), a funny fact I know. The forum section of the search engine in China. Baidu. you can't start a forum named "Rights" or "HujinTao"(the president)or "Chinese government"........
xSkyFire
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
lol those jokes are hilarious but obviously he's doing something wrong to get such negative views.
jackmb
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Z_Ahmed)
It's the current fool Zardari who can't take a joke. His current position as a president is a complete joke if you evaluate his history of controversies.
It's pretty shocking that many people in the world don't even have the right to criticise those who rule them.
Z_Ahmed
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jackmb)
It's pretty shocking that many people in the world don't even have the right to criticise those who rule them.
Yep, and it's these idiotic rulers who spark civil unrests in their own country while they sit back in their comfortable sofa's observing the damage they've caused with sheer satisfaction, like a director of a successful movie.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The results of this poll are hidden until the poll closes.

Watched Threads