Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

14 year prison sentence if Pakistanis joke about their president Watch

ReputationRep:
    "Pakistanis who send jokes about Asif Zardari by text message, email or blog risk being arrested and given a 14-year prison sentence."

Some jokes that people have made about him:

"Terrorists have kidnapped our beloved Zardari and are demanding $5,000,000 or they will burn him with petrol. Please donate what you can. I have donated five litres."

"To commemorate the ascension to the Presidency, Pakistan Post has officially launched a new stamp. But the people of Pakistan are confused which side on the stamp to spit on."

Robber: "Give me all your money!"

Zardari: "Don't you know who I am? I am Asif Ali Zardari."

Robber: "OK. Give me all my money"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...uling-him.html

ReputationRep:
    What if you were to send a joke from another country? And you weren't pakistani. Seems a very ridiculous rule to me lol, I'm sure people of other nations send jokes all the time to their respective presidents.

ReputationRep:
    I know where Gordon Brown wishes he was :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    So if 90% of the country sends a joke then what, if they're stupid enough to make such a stupid law are they stupid enough to try to imprison everyone? What happens if a pakistani who is overseas makes a joke?

ReputationRep:
    Gordon Brown has his bunker to retreat to, he doesn't need censorship!

ReputationRep:
    LOL how stupid.

ReputationRep:
    What, can't the pakistani government take a joke?

ReputationRep:
    really 14 years... quite sometime in jail lol teach you not to say it again

ReputationRep:
    That's hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    Rules are rules

ReputationRep:
    How extreme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackmb)
    What, can't the pakistani government take a joke?
    It's the current fool Zardari who can't take a joke. His current position as a president is a complete joke if you evaluate his history of controversies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z_Ahmed)
    What if you were to send a joke from another country? And you weren't pakistani. Seems a very ridiculous rule to me lol, I'm sure people of other nations send jokes all the time to their respective presidents.
    You'll be extradited and the wonderful British government will stand and watch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    Would be much simpler if he changes his hotmail email address, phone number and any other contact information. If that's too tough for him then he shouldn't mind a few minutes of constantly tapping the "delete" button. Heck, he can get his secretary to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    Rules are rules
    And tyranny is tyranny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    Haha.. thats quite true. Look at Gary McKinnon.

and Z_Ahmed is right, this guy is a joke. The people of pakistan keep getting robbed of their democratic rights. Zardari used to be known as "Mr 10%" while his wife was president, he was taking a little cut everytime the government was making deals worth billions of pounds. He has vast riches through out Europe, America and the UK. All of which should belong to the Pakistani people really, I dont see anyone eager to use the Proceeds of Crime Act against real criminals like him.. and the British govt. keeps going on about catching the Big fish, the untouchables etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shark67)
    "Pakistanis who send jokes about Asif Zardari by text message, email or blog risk being arrested and given a 14-year prison sentence."

Some jokes that people have made about him:

"Terrorists have kidnapped our beloved Zardari and are demanding $5,000,000 or they will burn him with petrol. Please donate what you can. I have donated five litres."

"To commemorate the ascension to the Presidency, Pakistan Post has officially launched a new stamp. But the people of Pakistan are confused which side on the stamp to spit on."

Robber: "Give me all your money!"

Zardari: "Don't you know who I am? I am Asif Ali Zardari."

Robber: "OK. Give me all my money"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...uling-him.html
    Lol, but in China you have something similar, just not as extreme, basically if you criticise any government official in a funny degrading way, you will be warned(with a stick), a funny fact I know. The forum section of the search engine in China. Baidu. you can't start a forum named "Rights" or "HujinTao"(the president)or "Chinese government"........

ReputationRep:
    lol those jokes are hilarious but obviously he's doing something wrong to get such negative views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z_Ahmed)
    It's the current fool Zardari who can't take a joke. His current position as a president is a complete joke if you evaluate his history of controversies.
    It's pretty shocking that many people in the world don't even have the right to criticise those who rule them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackmb)
    It's pretty shocking that many people in the world don't even have the right to criticise those who rule them.
    Yep, and it's these idiotic rulers who spark civil unrests in their own country while they sit back in their comfortable sofa's observing the damage they've caused with sheer satisfaction, like a director of a successful movie.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.