Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I am trying to decide on which modern language to do as part of my join honours with Classical and Archeological studies - French or Italian?
    I did pre-GCSE French but never any Italian. I'm just completely indecisive right now, I want to do both! I am interested in both cultures. I hear Italian is easier but French is more useful.

Just interested to hear others' input.
    cheers!

ReputationRep:
    French is quite useful, I'd go for French

ReputationRep:
    I'm Italian.
    I would advise French though
    I fluently speak both, but I think French can be more beautiful and useful.
    But when I speak it I have a Germanic accent that makes it ugly, so yeah xD
    Plus Italian might mean you finishing in Italy: and trust me, Italy isn't a great place to actually live.
    And trust me, I know.
    (Although I wouldn't live in France either, but yeah..)

ReputationRep:
    French, French and more French!

I'm completely biased on this one though as I've never even touched Italian so I'd naturally just go for French. I'd just go for whatever you feel more comfortable with - trust a gut feeling on this one.

ReputationRep:
    Plus Italian might mean you finishing in Italy: and trust me, Italy isn't a great place to actually live.
    And trust me, I know.
    Hmm, what does that mean??
    French seems to be winning here which is funny because I was kind of leaning more toward Italian myself, I don't know why...I guess it combines better with studying Classics. And Italians seem to have a reputation for being friendlier, though I'm not sure about that myself...

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to say Italian.
    I think it sounds better than French. Obviously French may be more useful, but because it is joint honours, maybe that is less important. Maybe?

ReputationRep:
    Italian. Lots of people take French. Do Italian and you'll be more 'unique'.

ReputationRep:
    Although, not many universities offer French as an ab initio thing, which is what you'd need if you don't have an A-level. Unless you already have your uni planned, and it offers both?
    Yes, at this pre-clearing stage I've actually got 3 offers from Kent uni to do either classics, or french and classics or italian and classics, and both languages can be studied from beginner level.

But why is Italy so seemingly horrible? A joint honours with language would involve a year abroad, and I was thinking Italian because I'd quite like to go there for my year abroad, but what is wrong with it long-term? Any insight into either French or Italian culture would be great, as I'm not entirely clear on either apart from general stereotypes, never having spent much time in France and none in Italy.

Oh and thanks to everyone who has replied so far, appreciating all input!

ReputationRep:
    I'd pick Italian because you can tie it in quite nicely with Classics when you're on your year abroad, being in the place where it all began, so to speak. Plus it's a gorgeous language!

You wouldn't exactly be going wrong by picking French, mind.

Just go for whichever one seems most interesting to you - think both language and culture.

For the record, I'll be doing my year abroad in Italy and can't wait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chinadoll90)
    French seems to be winning here which is funny because I was kind of leaning more toward Italian myself, I don't know why...I guess it combines better with studying Classics. And Italians seem to have a reputation for being friendlier, though I'm not sure about that myself...
    All I meant is that Italy can be a hell-like place to live.
    If you're outside of Milan or Florence (which are the most "international" places to live), it will be tough for you. Simply because Italians can be a nightmare :p:
    But now that I think about it, Italian seems more appropriate for Classics.
    However, also French is a neo latin language!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chinadoll90)
    Italian is a beautiful language and would probably go better with the classics. Though you may never live there surely you may visit Milan, Rome, Venice, Vatican City someday? Also Italy has such a culturally rich history and its an interesting language to know. If you're leaning more towards the dark side (Italian!) I say go for it. The men are better looking anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I've studied both languages to AS Level, so I may be slightly less biased. I'm also carrying them both on to A2, sitting Italian in January (long story).
    I'd say Italian. I just find it a more interesting language to learn, and it sounds nicer imo. It is a little bit easier than French, but not a great deal really; if you have a knack for languages then you'll find them both relatively easy (obv I don't know about degree level).
    But then I do in some ways prefer France to Italy, I'd say it's 'nicer' but Italy is cooler haha.
    Saying that, if I get into my first choice university then I'll be studying them both. I plan to do Italian with maths, btw. But a module or two in French if I end up doing Durham's Combined Honours in Arts.

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely recommend Italian for 3 reasons (I could think of more if I really tried, but hey). Here they are:

1. Italian is a beautiful language, much more pleasant to hear than French
    2. It's much simpler to learn in my opinion, because of the way that words are formed, the way that verbs work and the way that it is pronounced (you basically just pronounce every letter).
    3. With archaeology and classics, Italian is a brilliant idea because it is a romance language and probably quite close to Latin, which I assume you will also be studying (I suppose that if you already have some knowledge of Latin, it will make making links when learning italian much easier too)

Good luck choosing, all I can say is that personally I find Italian so much more pleasurable to learn!

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks for all your responses guys! Lol looks like Italian had double the number of votes than French in the end but I've decided to do....French! All your input was much appreciated, and I definitely plan to learn Italian too, I just don't have enough credits available to do both. (Imagine, I want to study MORE! Lol). Merci and grazie to all! Mwah mwah

ReputationRep:
    Once you're done with French, Italian will be piss easy :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.