Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Shall I drink alcohol on the first date? Watch

ReputationRep:
    anything bad happens you'll always be able to blame the lush!

ReputationRep:
    also depends on what kind of drinker you are. If you are the kind to have one or two and start going silly it's deffinitly not a good idea. If your likely to say too much, again don't drink.
    Personally if a guy I was meeting up with was having more then 2 or so pints (assuming said lad would not get even tipsy on this) I would think it a bit uncomfortable.
    Then again, could always have 1 or 2, then go for a walk if the area is decent?

ReputationRep:
    You could have a meal at the pub (a pub lunch ...) and have 1 or 2 pints whilst you're eating ... Then go for a walk afterwards?

ReputationRep:
    Just be yourself tbh, if you would normally have a couple at the pub, then have a couple

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voltex)
    Hi,

I have a first date in a pub with this girl in a couple of days.

I would like to have a couple of pints (not enough to get drunk though) but she is driving so therefore she won't be drinking alcohol

So shall I have a pint or two if shes not drinking? Or shall I not drink alcohol if shes not drinking?
    For a girl to get wet over you, you need to show her that you're a man. Down a pint of vodka, finish it off with a few gulps of whisky, and she'll go down fo sho - just make sure she puts out before you pass out.

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't be very impressed if a guy I had a date with chose to drink beer etc when he knew I couldn't do the same.

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally steer clear of the alcohol. If nothing else to send a good message across.

ReputationRep:
    Create a thread on TSR.

Oh wait...:holmes:

OP, I personally wouldn't drink. (Well that's because I don't drink anyway...:ninja:)

But I don't think she will be too impressed and plus it's not exactly amazing for your health...:yep:

ReputationRep:
    if your a light weight then just have one. If you can handle your drink have two or three if you drink to much you might make a fool of your self or they might think you have a drink problem. drink to be socaiable just dont get steaming

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't drink, seems a bit inconsiderate to drink when she can't. If you must drink, just get one pint and make sure your next drink is non-alcoholic.

ReputationRep:
    Ask her if she minds if you have a pint. Say you're fine with coke or something but if she doesn't mind you drinking you might have one. Phrase it in a way that completely gives her the choice and doesn't make her feel she's stopping you from having fun if she is uncomfortable with it. I'd imagine she'd be fine with you having just one - it's not as if you'll get drunk off that.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    well, its only the first date and we hardly know each other so going to a really posh, romantic restaurant will not be good.
    This sounds exactly like me and my boyfriend! We went to a pub and it was all good! Nothing cheap about it, just a place where you can sit down and talk, and actually get to know eachother a bit better. I wouldn't have felt comfortable in a fancy restaurant on a first date.

As for the drinking bit, I wouldn't mind if my date was having a pint or two, whether I was driving or not. If you like beer (or whatever you're gonna drink), go for it. But as someone suggested, maybe ask her if she's fine with it. But don't just listen to her answer, listen to the tone of her voice, and her body language. If she looks like she would mind you having a drink, but say it's ok, you should get something non-alcoholic imo.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't she have a small amount, like a half, or a glass of wine? She'll still be well within the driving limits.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the girl. I'd get smashed. If she's the quiet type, then not cool, if she's game (though she probably wouldn't be driving if she was), then it's cool. I'd get smashed either way. Nothing may come of it, so might aswell enjoy it.

:top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cultivated)
    Go to a park if the weather allows it. Otherwise, a café?
    Not a pub in my opinion.
    Why not a pub? A cafe sounds crap

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have a first date in a pub with this girl in a couple of days.

I would like to have a couple of pints (not enough to get drunk though) but she is driving so therefore she won't be drinking alcohol

So shall I have a pint or two if shes not drinking? Or shall I not drink alcohol if shes not drinking?
    Have a pint or two. will relax your nerves.
    as long as you don't get drunk and do something embarassing she shouldn't think anything of it
    not that i need alcohol to be embarassing though:|

ReputationRep:
    maybe have one at the beggining of the date and then just stay with non alcoholic?

ReputationRep:
    Why not a pub? A cafe sounds crap
    A café or restaurant sounds more 'conventional' and 'datish' than a pub in my opinion. :dontknow:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.