Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I found out recently that I've got to the assessment centre stage of TeachFirst. Has anyone on here done it? Any tips or advice would be great. Also, assuming I got through (a big assumption, I know how competitive it is, but hypothetically), how hard is it to pass the subject knowledge audit? I'd be teaching RS or maybe English, and my degree was in Philosophy. Surely I'd be at a massive disadvantage to those with the relevant degrees rather than just the As at A-level?

Cheers
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Jigglypuff)
    Hi, I found out recently that I've got to the assessment centre stage of TeachFirst. Has anyone on here done it? Any tips or advice would be great. Also, assuming I got through (a big assumption, I know how competitive it is, but hypothetically), how hard is it to pass the subject knowledge audit? I'd be teaching RS or maybe English, and my degree was in Philosophy. Surely I'd be at a massive disadvantage to those with the relevant degrees rather than just the As at A-level?

Cheers
    I don't know a lot about TeachFirst but I can tell you student teacher subject knowledge audits are often self-assessment activities so you don't need to sweat. Peer-assessment is also becoming commonplace (this means you tell your mate you will sign their form if they sign yours). Such things are considered best practice in the wild and wacky world of education.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jigglypuff)

Cheers
    Be outgoing, friendly, humble and committed to dealing with educational disadvantage.

The SKA is not a problem. And your degree shouldn't matter too much, I'm teaching maths with a degree in politics, philosophy and economics.

Cheers

Teach First '09 Cohort!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by London Prophet)
    Be outgoing, friendly, humble and committed to dealing with educational disadvantage.

The SKA is not a problem. And your degree shouldn't matter too much, I'm teaching maths with a degree in politics, philosophy and economics.

Cheers

Teach First '09 Cohort!
    Thanks very much! Don't suppose you know what proportion of applicants get to the assessment day stage?

ReputationRep:
    I did the assessment day in aug and got accepted, wooo hooo!!! best advice is be yourslef as obvious as that sounds!! For the interview alot of the questions are about the company so do your research, with the lesson, make it creative and colourful, think about how to keep kids interested and be prepared for some interruptions! The case study is harder to advise, im not going to say what its on coz that would be teaching, but come up with original ideas and think outside the box....most importantly let other people speak, you could tell the bad people in the group coz they kept trying to take over constantly, and also body language......its the basic rules!! If your really enthusiastic this will show, good luck!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimmel11)
    I did the assessment day in aug and got accepted, wooo hooo!!! best advice is be yourslef as obvious as that sounds!! For the interview alot of the questions are about the company so do your research, with the lesson, make it creative and colourful, think about how to keep kids interested and be prepared for some interruptions! The case study is harder to advise, im not going to say what its on coz that would be teaching, but come up with original ideas and think outside the box....most importantly let other people speak, you could tell the bad people in the group coz they kept trying to take over constantly, and also body language......its the basic rules!! If your really enthusiastic this will show, good luck!!!!
    Thanks a lot!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 31, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.