Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Travelling to the North America next summer... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingham_pirate)
    Sorry, but I really don't get the point of trekamerica. The United States is an english speaking country with extensive transport and hospitality industries. Why do you need someone to guide you around taking you to just the obvious tourist attractions? Especially if you're on a budget, the company obviously has to make money somewhere.
    Because it's not always to just the obvious tourist attractions. There's certain economies of scale that exist when you're travelling in one vehicle with 12 other people. - It's a lot more fun than doing it by yourself and it actually works out a lot cheaper. FYI I've done both and live in America at the moment -- so I know what I'm talking about.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone

I've just finished my A's and looking to go on a road trip in the US. If there's anyone with a spare seat let me know! Happy to chip in etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weeksie)
    Hi Everyone

I've just finished my A's and looking to go on a road trip in the US. If there's anyone with a spare seat let me know! Happy to chip in etc..
    We plan on going next summer though. Tbh we hadn't considered having someone else with us but could work out.. PM me your info if your interested, as in age, sex, interests etc .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shomm)
    We plan on going next summer though. Tbh we hadn't considered having someone else with us but could work out.. PM me your info if your interested, as in age, sex, interests etc .
    All done.

ReputationRep:
    Oh oh I wanna come!

ReputationRep:
    I wanna come, sounds so good. I'm actually pretty glad I failed my AS exams, can't wait to start exploring the world :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Mmm I done three trek America tours including two one month ones. Also spent a few weeks with family/friends on different trips in america. Treks are best thing I ever did specially in Alaska/BC and the yukon. Its not quite the same as just grey hounding it or planeing around. Certainly met some mates for life.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so reading over this thread, a few things.

1) Don't even bother trying to drink if you're underage [21].

2) Greyhound is SUPER SKETCHY. I would NEVER recommend this mode of travel.

3) Amtrak isn't too bad but I wouldn't recommend it apart from the DC-Baltimore-Philly-NYC-Boston route. And honestly, those cities are more than enough to fill out your trip. DC is great but get off the beaten track for a good time (I live there). Don't try to do too much at once. Do a separate trip if you want to go to the South, and another if you want to go West. I would definitely not recommend trying to go south of DC in the aforementioned time.

4) I get cheap flights to and from London that go into Dulles (25 minutes or so to DC) by AerLingus. They've been great; check them out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eaf7s)

3) Amtrak isn't too bad but I wouldn't recommend it apart from the DC-Baltimore-Philly-NYC-Boston route. And honestly, those cities are more than enough to fill out your trip. DC is great but get off the beaten track for a good time (I live there). Don't try to do too much at once. Do a separate trip if you want to go to the South, and another if you want to go West. I would definitely not recommend trying to go south of DC in the aforementioned time.

4) I get cheap flights to and from London that go into Dulles (25 minutes or so to DC) by AerLingus. They've been great; check them out.
    Excellent recommendation. The Northeast corridor would be great for a trip. I see you're from the DC area. Me too. And thank you for calling it DC. Only outsiders call it Washington DC, or Washington, or anything else besides DC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baltimoron)
    Excellent recommendation. The Northeast corridor would be great for a trip. I see you're from the DC area. Me too. And thank you for calling it DC. Only outsiders call it Washington DC, or Washington, or anything else besides DC.
    :-) yeah, actually I'm from Louisville but technically a resident of VA; my mom lives in the Ballston/Courthouse area. Was nice to get in-state at UVa! I've my summers in the area since freshman year of high school. Where are you from?

ReputationRep:
    I actually live in Maryland. Almost exactly halfway between Baltimore and DC. Oh, and, no offense, but I hate the Cavaliers. Well, the sports teams anyway. It's a great school but I can't stand the 'Hoos. I'm a Terps fan myself. Fear the Turtle!!!

ReputationRep:
    I actually live in Maryland. Almost exactly halfway between Baltimore and DC. Oh, and, no offense, but I hate the Cavaliers. Well, the sports teams anyway. It's a great school but I can't stand the 'Hoos. I'm a Terps fan myself. Fear the Turtle!!!
    Hey, fair enough. Love my Cavs. And just to clarify; the whole prep school snob reputation is only maybe 5% of the students...but oh my do those 5% try to ruin it for the rest of us :P

I actually transferred out to Bristol, though. LOVED UVa...just felt like moving countries lol. I'm pretty familiar with MD; my mom grew up in Baltimore and I drive up there all the time for O's games and to catch flights out of BWI [flights to Louisville are wayyy cheaper there].

ReputationRep:
    I live like 5 minutes from BWI. I'm probably going to Maryland but my how I would love to go to college in the UK. Don't you have to start as a freshman again in the UK since you're transferring?

ReputationRep:
    Aww just read this thread, and it's making me want to go to America even more!

I've been to NY a few times when I was a kid. But even though I was only 7 at the time, I remember that I really enjoyed it! hehe

Its my dream to go to America again now that I'm older. I really wanna see Orlando and LA. The thing is, I'm extremely scared of flying. I've flown a LOT in my life, but I just HATE long flights because I can't relax on planes at ALL so I don't know how I'd be able to cope with 8 hours of constant fear and worry!!

But I do hope to overcome my fear and visit America sometime soon. I've got quite a few good American friends too who I'd LOVE to visit.

ReputationRep:
    I live like 5 minutes from BWI. I'm probably going to Maryland but my how I would love to go to college in the UK. Don't you have to start as a freshman again in the UK since you're transferring?
    Yeah, but it only takes 3 years to get a bachelor's, so time-wise it works out perfectly.

What is it with Brits and Orlando? Orlando sucks. Humid, hot and inland. The theme parks are disgustingly overpriced and not nearly as good as some in the US...but I don't like theme parks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've never understood the obsession with Orlando, either. If you're gonna go to a theme/amusement park, its gotta be Cedar Point. No other ride on Earth comes close to the greatness that is Millenium Force.

ReputationRep:
    1. Hostels which I stayed in always ask for ID and require you to be over 18.
    2. Depending on cities, I think you would require more than a month to do them.
    3. Give a good budget.
    4. Check out megabus for tickets.. they do $1 tickets sometimes and are reputable.
    5. I would recommend limiting the cities by a lot and maybe going up north a bit to Boston as well.
    6. Plan an itinerary in advance as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eaf7s)

#2 is soooo true. Greyhound is full of people who look too sketchy to hitchhike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LvStrong)
    #2 is soooo true. Greyhound is full of people who look too sketchy to hitchhike
    Plus it is relatively expensive for journeys...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tradingmyheartforyours)
    Plus it is relatively expensive for journeys...
    is it? I've never been brave enough to take it, just been at Amtrak stations while greyhounds load and unload. frankly, if greyhound is expensive, i have no idea why people would use that over amtrak, flying, or just plain driving.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.