Turn on thread page Beta

To those who reply with help - Thank you! This took me a while to write it will also take you a while to read... I appreciate the effort you put in.

Anon or delete please!

Hello Student Room,
    Today I come with a dilema, which of course i'd probably like to keep confidential as there is a chance (however slight it maybe, that she could read this - leading to eternal embarrassment)..
    Now, onto the problem at hand..

We've all just finished our A-levels, and summer has began. I've been in this 'friendship group' since the start of A levels (2 years), I moved to this college from a far. Over the process of time, and metting new people, I met this girl (we shall call her, Jo).. This girl Jo, i've steady become better and better friends with her. It first started on a bus, where i'd walk her home every day from college (she lives very close), then when I began to drive, i'd give her lifts into college and back again (without asking payment etc - I don't charge fuel to friends, FYI) and we also work (in seperate departments, but we do work together)

Gradually, over time we've become closer and closer, and then she got a boyfriend (around 8 months ago) this boyfriend, was a complete cee you next tuesday, and cheated on her whilst she was on holiday. When she came back, she obviously split up with this guy.. and a few months later, she got back together... around 1 month ago, they split up again (this time she said she simply didn't like him) and now hes chasing her like a dog craving for food. She on the other hand isn't interested (as far as I can see...)

Now, the background info is over, now for the real problem. I'm not all together sure, if she likes me (properly), or is it a friendship liking? For those girls reading this - YOU PEOPLE ARE HORRIBLE, mixed messages constantly! Examples of mixed messages to follow:

- She came back from a 'girlies holiday', and when she saw me in work, her face lit up (never seen it so happy in my life) and ran and hugged me

- At work, we have a jewelry area, and she keeps saying, So.. When are you gonna buy me this?

- Texting (heres the bad stuff), when at college, I used to see her text CONSTANTLY to different people, I text her, once a day (on average) and I get a fast response - however, sometimes I intend on extending the conversation, to which she answers my question, but does not follow up with a question to me... (maybe this is me being stupid - but that seems quite bad)

- In real life, she speaks to me as much as she can (as I do to her also), when I see her, I chat... (this kind of contradicts the texting problem)

- When we go out on a night out, i'm usually the first for her to greet (and usually the only one with a hug), also last one to say good bye to (again, with a hug)

They are just some examples. Now, I don't want to look like an idiot, and say to her: "Listen, I think you're amazing and I like you, but what do you think of me in terms of a relationship?" - because that would make me look like an idiot and make things awkward if she says differently.

If i'm honest, I think i'm worried too much about the awkwardness, and the idiot I then become to my friendship group, when she turns round and says she likes me for a friend... and i'm also worried, that by saying this stuff, she will act differently now (for example, she will avoid hugging me as often - and I can't lose that close bond, I seem to have gotten with her - which nobody else seems to have got)

Should I stop being a wimp and actually do something? Or should I sit back, and hope? Any suggestions please.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.