Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well, I quit my first year at uni last year, because of an unforeseen family tragedy, and hoping to start a new course this year through clearing. I have a few questions though -

1) I'm ready to send my personal statement, but I'm wondering whether I need to disclose my last year at university on the application? Obviously, because I left, I failed the year. Any university is probably going to look upon this failure unfavorably, and thus hurt my chances of getting a place through clearing. I don't want to be dishonest, but if I'm not obliged to disclose my failed year at uni, my chances of gaining a place this year would improve significantly.

2) When can I apply for finance? Can I start the process now, or do I have to wait until I have been accepted into a new university? Clearing doesn't start for another month, so I'm cutting it thin already.

3) Any general clearing advice?

Thanks very much, and sorry if this is the hundredth time you have had these kinda questions

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you have to be accepted by any uni to apply for finance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    I don't think you have to be accepted by any uni to apply for finance
    If thats's the case, I will apply tommorow. Thankyou.

Now, just need a uni. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not sure for definate but if your applying to a different uni to the one you attended last year, i don't think they will have any way of finding out about it so i'd keep quiet. If they do find out just say that because you left and never completed the course you did'nt think they needed to know about it.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seyoung1)
    Not sure for definate but if your applying to a different uni to the one you attended last year, i don't think they will have any way of finding out about it so i'd keep quiet. If they do find out just say that because you left and never completed the course you did'nt think they needed to know about it.

Hope this helps.
    Ok cheers.

Does anybody else know for sure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pacquaio)

3) Any general clearing advice?
    Yes - have a plan B ready, because from what we hear there will be far fewer places in clearing this year due to government cutbacks.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I might metion it. Although they couldnt find out possibly they might and you have circumstances that many places would understand epecially if you contacted the university directly

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.