Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Returning gamer - Xbox 360 - Reccomendations? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey there guys,

I've been out of the gaming world for about 3 years now. My last console was an Xbox, but around the launch of the latest generation of consoles I began med school and made the wise decision to drop gaming (PC included) in order to make the best of the social side of uni and in order to reduce any distractions from my studies.

However, now I've found I have more free time in the evenings and I would really like to start gaming again before I graduate and that chance slips away completely.

I've tended to be a PC gamer in the past, but I'm in not in a position to buy a new PC just for gaming (my old one being too basic for most newer games), so I thought Xbox 360 for 2 reasons really; Halo 2 and GoW.

Seeing as I've been out of this community for a long time, I don't know many other games I should be looking to get. I'd say I'm open to most genres, and I'd ideally like 1 or 2 decent multiplayer games too (most of my friends are rubbish and uninterested in none sports games so I'll likely get a tennis and/or FIFA/Pro Evo game for their sakes). I really enjoyed KOTOR on Xbox and wouldn't mind similarly good RPGs if there are any out there.

Basically, i'm open to everything, and I'd appreciat

ReputationRep:
    Congrats, good choice on the 360 - its an excellent games machine.
    Anyway, here are some recommendations grouped by genre:

SHOOTER:
    - Gears of War and Gears of War 2
    - Halo 3
    - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty: World at War
    - Bioshock
    - Left 4 Dead
    - Resident Evil 5
    - The Orange Box

RPG:
    - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    - Mass Effect
    - Fallout 3
    - Fable 2
    - Lost Odyssey (JRPG)
    - Tales of Vesperia (JRPG)

Action/Adventure:
    - Mirrors Edge
    - Prince of Persia
    - Assassins Creed
    - Grand Theft Auto IV

RACING:
    - Forza 2
    - PGR3 and PGR4
    - Burnout Paradise

OTHERS:
    - Rock Band/Guitar Hero (Music Game)
    - Halo Wars (Strategy Game)
    - Fight Night Round 4 (Sports)

IF you're into KOTOR style games, then Mass Effect will be to your liking, Oblivion and Fallout 3 are two huge RPGs too, so you'll probably like them. Gears of War 2 and Halo 3 are the best multiplayer shooters on the console (barring the CODs) while Bioshock has the best single player mode in my opinion. Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia are both great JRPGs, if you're into those then it comes down to whether you like anime or realistic styles and their respective battle systems.

As for the adventure games, Mirrors Edge, Prince of Persia and Assassins Creed are all very good games that have their own quirks but are otherwise good fun to play through.

Racing depends on if you are into realistic or arcade or battle style - Forza being a great simulation, PGR being a good arcade racer and Burnout being great fun to play (I preferred Revenge over Paradise due to my hate for open world maps but both are very good).

ReputationRep:
    Any of the ones above plus i would choose fifa over Pro evo

ReputationRep:
    When forza 3 comes out make sure to buy that!!

ReputationRep:
    start at the top of this list and work your way down http://www.metacritic.com/games/xbox360/scores/

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a huge list of games. My favourite games on Xbox 360 are The Orange Box, Bioshock, Fallout and Oblivion. If you enjoyed KOTOR (which is great!) you'll definetely like Mass Effect which is a similar setting and the same developers, you'll probably like Fallout 3 too and maybe Oblivion if you like Fallout. Also, for single player games I highly recommend Bioshock (if you like games with a good story) and The Orange Box (which contains Half Life 2, one of the best shooters ever, and Portal, which is a lot of fun).

As for multiplayer games, I recommend Call Of Duty 4 and FIFA 09 (or FIFA 10 when it comes out) for a sports game, as the newest Pro Evo game is actually worse than Pro Evo 6 to be honest!

edit: Forgot, Gears of War 2 is great too for both multiplayer and single player, and Gears 1 is very good too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.